• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'94 JCB 215 (experienced) Operator's question

JohnK

Occupation
Retired
If I can get 15MPH that's 5mph (or more) faster than I have traveled. Most of the problem is that I haven't had a backhoe that was this new, even if it is a 1994, it's newer than the 1979 Ford 6500 and has tons more bells and whistles that what I had. I just wanted to make sure that it's not the hoe and just me with the items I am mentioning. Especially since I am the only one in the neighborhood with a JCB. No complaints with the 215, just wanted expert opinions, which I am getting here and won't get from anyone around home. The real performance is when I work with it. So far so good. The reputation I've heard about is holding up well with this hoe. :)

robin yates uk

you chose well when you bought a JCB. I have tried both Case and Cat BHL in the UK but the leader in my opinion is theJCB. If you are an owner operator you need to get from A to B as quick as possible so 24MPH is better than 15! One day I had to get to a place 60 miles from where I had been working, Did the round trip of 120 miles after backfilling one hole.8 hours travel time, half hour lunch, half hour work. Not ideal but it all helped to pay the bills.:drinkup

robin yates uk

the customer who hired the machine for the day would never pay for a low loader.He was paying the bill and the route was countryside scenic, so pedal to the metal and go!,,,,,,,,:drinkup

mitch504

OK, long as you were getting paid. Most guys around here who have a hoe have a way to move it. Seems like a truck to move it would be cheaper than 8 hrs travel time, but then the truck owner would get the money, not you, and we wouldn't want that!

robin yates uk

the only time any of my machines went on a low loader was when they were needed urgently.My truck on the same lowloader as the machine, customer paid for that. Very few BHLs are moved on a truck in the UK.If a machine is needed on say the central reservation of a Motorway, usual way was using a rolling police block,( 2 Range Rovers). The traffic build up is amazing in the short time the JCB is on the actual road.

JohnK

Occupation
Retired
I finally made it to the JCB dealer in Cincinnati, Ohio last week buying all the filters that were needed to get everything back up to speed. I've waited out the bad weather and have climbed under the hoe and started changing filters and draining fluids. The first thing I found when working on the transmission was the oil started coming out of the drain plug looking like water (which i think it most likely was). Then the oil started flowing out, which was milky. I took out and cleaned the strainer which was super nasty, then I decided to look into the strainer hole. I found shavings and a couple of roller bearings. Now I'm getting worried... I've not had a problem with the transmission, but I'm not sure what I will run into next. The water has me worried and I'm doing some searching online to see what could be the cause. Since I bought the backhoe, I've probably not put more than a couple hours on it, so hopefully I haven't trashed it.