• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'93 hitachi EX50 URG

rush

Occupation
builder
cybersalvage
i'm going into town today to get this manual printed. Another HEF member is looking for one also. Rush good to hear your up and running hows the swing now tight? i still haven't been able to pop that plug under the cab (only tried twice so far) i should really get at that but its still to wet to get down an dirty.
regards
charlie

Charlie
I have been digging like crazy since I put it all back together. The swing is nice and tight - like it was when it was new. I have been stumping with it for about a week and am going to start digging a foundation next week. The new planetary gears are so precise and tight that during the winter i wasn't able to swing all the way around- it would only go about 90 degrees to either side and then wasn't able to go any more. I am assuming it was because the ring gear shrunk do to freezing temps and there wasn't enough lash in the gears to allow it go. But before winter it worked fine, and now that it has warmed up above freezing(mostly) it works fine again. I think with a little wear on those gears, this issue should go away. Its not really a big deal for me anyway, since I don't really use it much in the deep winter. Charlie, I can't thank you enough for sending along the manual for the swing device, there is no way I would have ever been able to get the part numbers for the bearings, seals, and gaskets at the bottom without it. Thanks to you I am back in business - thanks again. Happy diggin'

Rush

rush

Occupation
builder
Any chance you could email me a copy of that manual too? I have an EX55UR-3, any have nothing to reference for taking it apart.

Thanks!

Kicker

according to my Deere dealer the EX55 has a completely difference swing device than the EX50. It seems like they have a little better info at the dealer for the EX55 than the EX50. I think charlie is going to send you the manual anyway. Let me know if you are not able to get it from Charlie.
regardless of whether it is different or not, making the planetary gears would be just as easy, even if they are a different size. let me know if you need help getting gears cut.
Good luck

Kicker_92

according to my Deere dealer the EX55 has a completely difference swing device than the EX50. It seems like they have a little better info at the dealer for the EX55 than the EX50. Good luck

I've got a fair bit of slop in the swing, but am hoping it's just a bearing or something more minor. The main part that I need a manual to figure out is the rotary manifold assembly. It's leaking hydraulic oil from somewhere in there, but hard to figure out until I start pulling it apart.

Hopefully it's just an O-ring in the assembly, but my concern is that would only cause fuild to flow from one track motorto the other, not leak out. It's probably a liter per hour when we're using it, and drips for a while everytime you stop.

rush

Occupation
builder
rotary manifold

I've got a fair bit of slop in the swing, but am hoping it's just a bearing or something more minor. The main part that I need a manual to figure out is the rotary manifold assembly. It's leaking hydraulic oil from somewhere in there, but hard to figure out until I start pulling it apart.

Hopefully it's just an O-ring in the assembly, but my concern is that would only cause fuild to flow from one track motorto the other, not leak out. It's probably a liter per hour when we're using it, and drips for a while everytime you stop.

Kicker

I had the same thing happen to mine a couple of years ago, so I know all about what you are going through. Mine got so bad that it would leak about a liter in 10 minutes when I was using the tracks. First off, the rotary manifold (sometimes called the center joint) and the swing device (swing motor) are two completely separate parts. The rotary manifold is a pretty simple device with an inner shaft manifold, a couple of bearings, and bunch of seals, and a housing. The inner shaft manifold of the rotary manifold gets some wear after about 5k hours and allows the seals to leak. With new seals alone, the rotary manifold would start leaking again in no time.
I priced a new one, it was about $3500. So I took mine out and took it to the Deere dealer where they were able to rebuild it for about $700. They sent the inner shafter manifold to a local machine shop, where they were able to spray-weld new material on it and build it back up where it was worn away, then they ground it back down to original precision dimensions. Once that was done, they put it all back together with new seals and bearings. It took them about a week to turn it around, but it works like new and I would recommend this repair to anyone. The trick is getting the inner shaft manifold to a good machine shop that can spray weld and precision grind these kind of parts.
I was able to cross reference the rotary manifold for my '93 EX50 URG to a modern day John Deere 70D - which the deere dealer was able to get all the replacement seals and bearings for.
It is a pain to take the rotary manifold out, but there is no way around it if you have this kind of leak.
As for the swing motor or swing device as it is sometime called.
First off, make sure that you check the gear oil level on a regular basis. If you can't touch it with the dip stick- add some until you can. If you have a worn bearing and seal at the bottom it won't be able to hold oil for very long, so you will need to keep checking it regularly. I would keep running the machine for as long as you can - baby it..... What ever you do, once the gears start slipping, don't keep using it. The planetary gears are easy to replace, but the outer ring gear is not ( i'm not even sure it can be). If you keep using it with slipping gears you are will be chewing up the ring gear as well as the planetarys. That's what happened to mine, and the ring gear got beat up pretty bad. I was able to salvage the ring gear, but I wished that i had stopped using it long before I did. I hope you can learn something from my mistakes.
Good luck and let me know if there anything else you want to know about these parts.

Rush

captain charlie

Occupation
Home Trade Mstr
Rush

i have a question about checking the gear oil level. Mine isn't leaking nor is it wet any place but where do i check, so far i haven't run across a dip stick. Where abouts is it located. I sure hope i still have oil in there. You guys are starting to scare me.
Regards
Charlie

rush

Occupation
builder
Rush

i have a question about checking the gear oil level. Mine isn't leaking nor is it wet any place but where do i check, so far i haven't run across a dip stick. Where abouts is it located. I sure hope i still have oil in there. You guys are starting to scare me.
Regards
Charlie

The dip stick is right on the side of the swing motor itself and sticks down inside the swing device to a level just above the upper planetary. You can access the dipstick down in the hole next to the operator cab - behind the main boom arm. There is also a rubber drain tube that sticks out under the engine with a cap on the end of it. That is how you change the gear oil in the planetarys - it only holds about a quart of oil. It is a good idea to change the gear oil in the planetarys every once in a while because all metal filings from gear wear get worked into the planetary gears and chews them up even more. By changing the oil you can basically flush out the metal filings.
hope this helps
Rush

captain charlie

Occupation
Home Trade Mstr
Rush
i found the dip stick right in front of my face i lifted the rubber cover looked down and there it was hiding under a hose, the level is good but your right i should change it. Now i have to locate that hose you mentioned. If it ever stops raining here i could get some digging done. Thanks for the tip.
Cheers
Charlie

Kicker_92

Kicker
The rotary manifold is a pretty simple device with an inner shaft manifold, a couple of bearings, and bunch of seals, and a housing. The inner shaft manifold of the rotary manifold gets some wear after about 5k hours and allows the seals to leak. With new seals alone, the rotary manifold would start leaking again in no time.
Rush

Thanks, was under the machine today and found that the leak is definitly coming from the rotary manifold, and is not one of the lines. The leak is at the space between the upper and lower halves. It looks like I need to remove all the lines and fittings from the top of it to be able to remove it.

Do you have any pictures of yours apart, or a schematic of how one of these is assembled? I see four bolts to mount it to the chassis, and it looks like six hex cap screws on the bottom to hold the assembly together.

The machine has somewhere around 3,000 hours on it, but this just started in the last 100 hours or so. Have been doing a lot of tracking and pushing with the blade (I know it's no really built for that), so was hoping it might have just blown a seal.

Kicker_92

No luck so far with a seal listing for that rotary manifold at our local dealer.

Our machine is an 1999 EX55UR-3, any idea of a domestic model that would have the same center swivel? (maybee I should start a new thread?)

captain charlie

Occupation
Home Trade Mstr
No luck so far with a seal listing for that rotary manifold at our local dealer.

Our machine is an 1999 EX55UR-3, any idea of a domestic model that would have the same center swivel? (maybee I should start a new thread?)

Hi Kicker how did you make out with the seal. If you in BC maybe get in contact with Wajax in Langley, the parts guy (Jim) is a pretty handy guy.

Kicker_92

Hi Kicker how did you make out with the seal. If you in BC maybe get in contact with Wajax in Langley, the parts guy (Jim) is a pretty handy guy.

I should have updated this thread. We ended up ordering seals through Wajax, and managed to pull the unit and get it re-sealed. Getting it in and out took two days and was very ackward, and about 3 hours to re-seal.

Nice to have it done and no more leaks!

bullfrog

Hi Kicker

Not sure on the terminology of some of the parts but I think I have the same issue with the rotary manifold leaking on my ex50urg. Any tips on were to start with the repair.

Cheers Bullfrog

rush

Occupation
builder
Hi Kicker

Not sure on the terminology of some of the parts but I think I have the same issue with the rotary manifold leaking on my ex50urg. Any tips on were to start with the repair.

Cheers Bullfrog

Hi bullfrog

i had a bad leak on mine a while back and was having the same problem. You can access the " center joint " as it is called in the parts manual or rotary manifold as other manufacturers call it from the top in front of the swing motor. It is a real pain to get to, but can be done. You have to remove all the lines above and below ( would be wise to label them - since there are quite a few). Once that is done, there is a little anti-rotation bracket on the side that keeps needs to be removed and the whole rig comes out through the top. I took mine to the local John Deere shop and they were able to find all the seals and gaskets needed to repair it, but the main spindle was badly worn. It was sent out a local machine shop that spray welded and ground the spindle back to original shape and size, they put it back together with new seals and gaskets and never leaked a drop again. The whole ordeal cost me about $800 for the machining, new parts, and labor, plus a lot of my own time figuring out how it all came apart. I have a scan of the parts manual for this machine it you want it.
Hope this helps
John

bullfrog

Hi john

Thanks heaps for the advise, i would love a copy of the parts manual, I would be happy to get away with it of $800 but not sure if John Deere dealers are the place to go here in Australia but i am sure I can find a suitable place to do the repairs. Parts might be a different story.

thanks again Bullfrog

rush

Occupation
builder
parts manual and rotary manifold ( center joint)

Hi john

Thanks heaps for the advise, i would love a copy of the parts manual, I would be happy to get away with it of $800 but not sure if John Deere dealers are the place to go here in Australia but i am sure I can find a suitable place to do the repairs. Parts might be a different story.

thanks again Bullfrog

Hey Bullfrog

no prob. The parts man was scanned into two files that are about big (~800MB each), so I'm not sure whats the best way to get it to you. If you send me your email, we can try that ....... In the mean time here are some PDF files pulled from the manual for the rotary manifold
there are two pages, one has the exploded view of the assembly the second has the parts break down. Since John Deere bought Hitachi, most of the part numbers cross over if the parts are still in production. It is worth having the parts guys at John Deere check on the numbers for the sealsView attachment rotary_manifold1.pdfView attachment rotary_manifold2.pdf. Hope this helps,
John

jdwbuc12

ex50 urg

Thanks for all your help guys with the part numbers and drawings. This seems to be another dead end though. It turns out even the parts breakdown for the swing motor doesn't list a part number for the actual planetary gears. It only list the part number of the carrier assembly that includes the planet gears and doesn't give any more breakdown of the sub-assembly. I tried at two different Deere dealers and no one can cross reference the part (carrier) to anything they can get their hands on.
The sun gear itself has a part number as does the ring gear, but of course they don't even come up as a good/current part number at the dealer. Its starting to look like I will have get the gears made if I am ever going to run this machine again. One gear maker quoted $4k for a sun and 4 planet gears.Will keep you posted as things unfold.

I was wondering if you had ever found the swing gear parts you was looking for? you should give me a call if you still have your machine. my name is jack and I have the same ex50 urg 360-271-6928.

Mr_Mugglian

Occupation
Retired
You said that this machine is a 1993, I am wondering what the build number is? Mine is 10E 01728. I hope to narrow down the year of manufacture. Thanks.