• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8630 John deere

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
OK so now we’re looking at a 9180 case Steiger with an 855 Cummins in it how does that compare to the end 14 Cummins thank you

56wrench

As far as i know, if original, it is a big cam 855 with about 375hp. What does the engine tag say? It may have step timing? How many hrs? Powershift or standard? I have heard(unconfirmed) that the standard trans can be hard to get parts for probably because the powershift was more widely used between models. The 12 spd powershift should be a Fuji which is like a Twin Disc copy. The powershift is expensive to repair but most powershifts are. The axles are made by Raba and diff lock was optional. It is desirable for heavy scraper work. Not many i have seen had diff locks. The main hydraulic pump was Vickers axial piston. If extra hyd capacity is needed, there is an add-on kit available through companies such as Atom Jet. Overall, a good tractor in my opinion. As with any equipment, the highest serial number range in a given model is usually the best due to the ongoing changes during production. These are just my personal opinions, so take it for what its worth:)

56wrench

Not really, just know a little about a lot, but about 30 years ago i worked at a WFE dealership that had also been a Steiger dealer since the mid to late '70s. They lost Steiger when CIH grabbed them up and were only able to sell a few red ones before the local CIH dealership took over and laughed all the way to the bank. We still worked on the green or red steigers after the warranty was off because we had some loyal customers and we had the service manuals, service tools and experience

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Tenfo. I actually talked to the farmer that bought that tractor new and traded it in. He said that was the best tractor he ever owned. Bought it new and right out the gate he said an afterburner on side of the engine was leaking. They came out and fixed it and never had to work on it again. After speaking with him I feel much better. He traded in two of them because they were getting some age on them. I ran him down so he had no idea I was contacting him. Said the cab was noisy because the insulation has basically gone due to age. We may be able to repair that idk. Thanks for your help!!

56wrench

Afterburner? I think you mean aftercooler? If its the grey perforated foam covering parts of the interior, you should be able to buy it in bulk from a supplier and cut to fit or use the old foam for a pattern. The proper foam may still be available through CIH but it will likely be expensive.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Thanks but we completed the repair it was a biatch lol. We’re just not set up to do it. Because of the design of how’s it built u have to cut some bushings and pins out. All in all it wasn’t that bead just aggravating. I will say I won’t be doing it again!!