• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8630 John deere

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Looking to buy one. One needs a clutch and one has transmission issues. Won’t go Stay in A range.l supposedly the sift fork is worn is the story. How hard is it to put a clutch in one? The one needing clutch has had the engine rebuilt and the transmission gone through. I don’t know why they wouldn’t have installed a new clutch on that one. Are these typically good machines? Thanks

Vetech63

I put a clutch in a similar tractor years ago. You have to split the tractor which isn't too bad but its all the other crap you have to move or take off to get there that's the pain in the ass. Its a big machine so a nice flat concrete floor is a must, also a couple of big floor jacks, or a overhead crane.

Vetech63

So same amount of work to pull the transmission and repair that one ?
If I remember right, you have to split the tractor for that also. You could bring the transmission out the bottom of the machine if you could get the machine high enough, but it would be dangerous and difficult to maneuver.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Ok thanks again. Just trying to see if it’s feasible or makes financial sense to purchase the one needing a clutch. It’s a nice tractor

Vetech63

Its a doable job if you have the right equipment to support the weight of the halves. Although I did the one I did by myself, I wouldn't recommend that for someone that has little experience in it. If I am remembering right yet again, the job was between 5K-7K (around 1995 dollars).......most all of that was labor. I also had to replace some transmission cables and a few hoses then too.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Tenfo thanks again. I’ve never done one but I’ve split loaders before. Either way not sure I want to take on a project like that. I’m old now lol!

56wrench

well, based on experience, its a miserable job. they are one of the most awkward tractors to work on unless you have the right tools and shop equipment. to do the clutch it is likely easiest to pull the engine. JD calls it a 'PERMA-CLUTCH' it is a wet clutch and usually takes some special JD tools to properly set it after it is installed on the flywheel. i still have a service manual and i can have a look in it to refresh my memory. the ABCD trans is in the rear section and the quad-range part is in the front section. the 8640 was a better tractor with several improvements, cooling system, lube circulated to the front axle, better improved engine, etc. a lot of 8630's got the original 619 engine replaced with the 8640 better 619 engine. the engine s/n tag on the block should tell if you take the info to a knowledgeable JD dealer and you should be able to tell if it was updated. around where i grew up probably 50% or more of the 8630's made were updated with the newer 619. if the tractor was worked hard, the original 619 would fail eventually, usually at fairly low hours, sometimes covered by warranty. my dad had an 8630 and then an 8640. i spent lots of hours on them. they were not a bad tractor for their time.

Last edited:

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Hey thanks sounds like good info. Sounds like it’s just more than I want to deal with really. The one with transmission issues is right here a mile from me. It’s not as well dated for tractor as the other one at least from the pics of the other one but it would be cheaper in the long run and do what we need it to do.

56wrench

should be. if its a 50 series engine, it should have the crankshaft driven oil pump. still a 619. before the engine is removed for a clutch repair, the clutch pressure should be checked if i remember correctly. you could remove the engine and clutch and then take the whole engine to a deere dealer to have them do the clutch finger adjustments with the special tool before you slap the engine back in

Last edited:

terex herder

$200/ton is the right price for one of those tractors not in working condition. In my Dad's words "I never knew anything with that large of tires could ride so rough, be so clumsy, and have so little power."

And if the tractor shows any signs of having a dozer blade mounted it is only worth the $200/ton even running. The engine is a stressed member of the frame, and the loads from the dozer will distort the block enough to cause oiling problems. This tractor helped put Kinze Manufacturing on the map. Kinze would install subframe mounted 855 Cummins and made a real tractor out of them.

56wrench

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't that the 8850 that kinze repowered with the cummins 855, no? I've only ever seen the 8850 conversions but i could be wrong. 20 years ago, the Kinze conversion was about $30,000 cad, about the same as a JD reman + labour but the kinze conversion took a month and the customer paid for the trucking to their facility which also added to the cost. but at least you had a much better powered tractor

terex herder

From Jon Kinzenbaw's autobiography "Fifty Years of Disruptive Innovation", the first 86 series Deere repower was a 8630 done in 1988. From 1988 through 2007 Kinze Power Products re-powered over 600 Deere 8630, 8640, 8650, and 8850 tractors.

The 8850 had Deere's stupid attempt at a little V8 diesel. One of their worst engines, poorly executed at a high price.

terex herder

The book only mentions 855. Deere itself saw what a good idea it was and used the 855 in the largest of the next generation, the 8960.

56wrench

Ya and they bragged that it was their all-new 14L engine according to their brochures. :rolleyes: i remember getting into a debate with a jd salesman at the time:D