• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

82-50 terex, good,bad or just ugly?

Neily

hey all. There’s an old terex coming up at an estate auction shortly, wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about them. Are parts obtainable? Been sitting for years, undercarriage looks good to the untrained eye in the pictures but it doesn’t have reverse . Engine was supposedly just rebuilt but who knows, they have turned it over but haven’t had it running.

I’m not concerned about the engine or undercarriage but what about transmission and arse end, Allison trans so perhaps parts might be available but I don’t know about the finals etc. can terex parts be found these days or would it be difficult?

Will be a project and only for farm use/toy, hopefully can get it for bugger all.
Thanks in advance.

traxcavator

hey all. There’s an old terex coming up at an estate auction shortly, wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about them. Are parts obtainable? Been sitting for years, undercarriage looks good to the untrained eye in the pictures but it doesn’t have reverse . Engine was supposedly just rebuilt but who knows, they have turned it over but haven’t had it running.

I’m not concerned about the engine or undercarriage but what about transmission and arse end, Allison trans so perhaps parts might be available but I don’t know about the finals etc. can terex parts be found these days or would it be difficult?

Will be a project and only for farm use/toy, hopefully can get it for bugger all.
Thanks in advance.

I have used 82-20Bs and 82-40s before but never been around the 82-50s much. If maintained well and not abused, I think all the 82-20Bs, 30Bs, and 50s were reliable. Some of the features were ahead of there time and showed up on competitive brands later on. I think I recall that when the 82-50 was replaced with the D800 there were upgrades to the final drives which may indicate that was a weak point on the 82-50. Parts availability for the undercarriages is an issue now. There is a company in Plain City, Ohio called C&C Repairs http://c-crepairs.com/ that can probably tell you what parts are available and what is becoming hard to find. If you speak to Chuck or CJ I’m sure they be willing to discuss it with you. There is also a Facebook page called Terex and Euclid Equipmnent that you could probably get some info from.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
Parts for a machine that size, regardless of availability, will be $$$$$. I just spent almost $10K on undercarrage parts for a Deere 450C which is small fraction of the size of that machine.

Neily

What do you guys think of the undercarriage looking at the pictures? The rails almost look new to me but I’m no expert and I haven’t seen the machine in person.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What do you guys think of the undercarriage looking at the pictures? The rails almost look new to me but I’m no expert and I haven’t seen the machine in person.
From the photos.....
Shoes have been re-grousered and look good.
Sprockets are fcuked.
Significant wear on link running surface, not sure what %.
Internal pin/bush wear does not look too bad but again needs a standard to measure to. Ends of pins starting to wear which could indicate internal track link joint wear.
No photos of outside of bushes so external bush wear impossible to estimate. However the state of the sprockets would lead one to believe that the outside of the bushes will also be well worn.
No photos of track rollers.
No photos of carrier rollers.
No photos of idlers.

Needs someone experienced in undercarriage wear measurement to get eyes on it IMHO, with or without the specs they ought to be able to come up with some sort of estimation. I would say from those few photos it would need a fair few $ spent on it in U/C.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
As someone who knows little to nothing about tracked equipment and even less about this particular model.

It all might depend on the price and how much to get it to your location. I mean if someone was to give it to me and deliver it for a few hundred and it would actually run and move I might try to convince the wife it would make a neat lawn ornament.

Just a quick search seems to show it has a 12V-71 I mean even if it would not move it would be fun to fire that up to wake up the neighbors!

Here is one that was sold not running in Texas about a year ago:
https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/Crawler-Dozers-Terex-82-50-Crawler-Dozer-Texas/2968620

And just for fun a little history of the 82-50:

https://contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/classic-machines-terex-82-50/

Last edited:

.RC.

One major issue with parts is your location says NSW. How many parts for an 82-50 do you think there would be in Australia? I could not imagine trying to scrounge parts here would be highly successful where very few ever came.

See the odd 82-20 and 82-30 come up for sale from time to time.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant

Thanks in advance.
Is that no reverse at all ? this could be something simple thats disconected . A lot of money has been spent to get it to where it is now and if the finals were dicky surely the last owners would not have spent the money they did .

Neily

Yeah I’ll see if I can get a few more pictures of the undercarriage that might help figuring out if it’s worth a crack or not. No reverse at all apparently. Parts are a concern, I’d imagine very difficult to find in Australia. Price determines most things I guess, I might have a go if it’s cheap enough.

Vetech63

All I see is a lot of $$$. Terex parts are the most expensive in the industry and the availability of parts for that machine would be sparse.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You need to measure the pitch in the chains. Is it seven inch, seven and a half or eight inch pitch? Sprockets don't look bad for that type of machine. Those as I recall were pointy right from the factory. There are no wear marks on the pin bosses and the space between the links is tight. The accumulators for the recoil I've heard were an issue. You put grease in the adjuster to loosen the tracks. There were a few green dozers around here when I started in the business. They were mostly gone by the mid eighties. That one will be an orphan long ago.

Neily

More pics not great though

Attachments

• C9C7E49D-9DA7-4931-A3AC-5E94FD0AA48F.jpeg
    C9C7E49D-9DA7-4931-A3AC-5E94FD0AA48F.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 55
  • D3C9E8DD-F19E-43E8-AD49-D519881B5F1C.jpeg
    D3C9E8DD-F19E-43E8-AD49-D519881B5F1C.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 55
  • 8025B1BF-E57A-4849-9B97-D7A7A531841D.jpeg
    8025B1BF-E57A-4849-9B97-D7A7A531841D.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 9A4254BD-FD63-414E-BB1F-22383FF06CE6.jpeg
    9A4254BD-FD63-414E-BB1F-22383FF06CE6.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 54

Neily

Think you were right nige, certainly done a few hours since new.
I know it’s hard to say but what kind of hours would one expect this undercarriage to last?
Ultimately if it lasted 500/1000 hours it would see me out. Probably never get anywhere near 1000.

Attachments

• 541AB70E-B881-4E05-BD19-AAE3F2DEAE48.jpeg
    541AB70E-B881-4E05-BD19-AAE3F2DEAE48.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 46
  • B4252E8B-2FFD-4C98-91C0-1F0B1988CD80.jpeg
    B4252E8B-2FFD-4C98-91C0-1F0B1988CD80.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 44
  • 7DC3AA84-8FBD-435D-8BE1-64E72533671F.jpeg
    7DC3AA84-8FBD-435D-8BE1-64E72533671F.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 43
  • A1D23860-ADE5-4D25-80EE-0624463C4035.jpeg
    A1D23860-ADE5-4D25-80EE-0624463C4035.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 46

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Think you were right nige, certainly done a few hours since new.
I know it’s hard to say but what kind of hours would one expect this undercarriage to last?
Ultimately if it lasted 500/1000 hours it would see me out. Probably never get anywhere near 1000.
Without knowing how many hours is on the U/C right now it's impossible to say with any degree of certainty. However if all you are expecting it to last is 500-1000 hours to get a job done then in the present condition I'd say it is possible.

I think the big question mark is the transmission and possibly the rear end, as per your OP. If they can't be fixed to get it running for that 500-1000 hours you are looking for, all you've bought is a boat anchor.

Neily

I’m gonna need a bigger boat than , I might end up with a big green mailbox. 500 hrs is probably more realistic, the price I have in mind I’m prepared to take a risk. 2 days left in the auction, soon find out I guess. In some respects the engine if rebuilt is probably worth what the tractor will bring. Sitting at $4250 au atm.
Out of interest what hourly rate would a similar size machine earn.

Welder Dave

Does it not have a belly pan? Undercarriage wear would be dependent on the type of soil but staying out of high gear and planning your work could help limit excessive wear.