• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6v92 unidentifiable part

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Trying to figure out what this aluminum housing is between the water pump and the accessory pulley that is like the timing cover and where I could find one. This one appears to be at the end of its saltwater life.

Attachments

• BBF82E84-8351-4D95-941D-4E7335399462.jpeg
    BBF82E84-8351-4D95-941D-4E7335399462.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 06FBB33E-B185-405F-BA45-2B39BAD3384E.jpeg
    06FBB33E-B185-405F-BA45-2B39BAD3384E.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 57

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Waterpump drive housing. I think it's the same housing on a V-71 engine too.
That leads to just water pumps, this damn thing is a dinosaur on finding parts as such. Looks to be a special piece that will need to be pulled from a dead engine.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I seem to recall a tach drive coming off something like that on industrial engines. A raw water pump on a boat makes sense as well.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It sure does look like the same part used on the V-71 engines!
I don't have a 92 parts book but in the 71 book they show 3 or 4 different covers. Some had a hole where that circle is in the center and there was a short shaft attached to the front of the gear that drives the water pump and there was a generator pulley mounted to that on some of our engines. Some just used an expansion plug to fill the hole if not needed and some had a small steel cover that bolted over the hole and others were made with the hole not bored out.

Attached is the page out of the 92 manual on the cover:

Detroit 92 Cover.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
It sure does look like the same part used on the V-71 engines!
I don't have a 92 parts book but in the 71 book they show 3 or 4 different covers. Some had a hole where that circle is in the center and there was a short shaft attached to the front of the gear that drives the water pump and there was a generator pulley mounted to that on some of our engines. Some just used an expansion plug to fill the hole if not needed and some had a small steel cover that bolted over the hole and others were made with the hole not bored out.

Attached is the page out of the 92 manual on the cover:

View attachment 201113
And we have a winner, found one only 120 miles up the road on eBay. Thanks I needed this!!!