• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

610 bobcat vh4d keeps revving

Jf0406

The engine can be operating normal and then randomly the throttle will just go up and up until I manually push the butterfly back shut and it will slowly keep getting higher and higher and the throttle does nothing. It used to if I jazzed the throttle it would kick back down But now it just keeps wanting to rev

Vetech63

Its been 25 years or more since I have even seen a Wisconsin engine. I built a lot of them back in the day but I can hardly remember the set up for the governor. Its seems like you could set governed speed by different holes in the governor lever in relation to the carburetor. There is a possibility also that the thrust bearing has failed...……….all this if I am remembering correctly.

Jf0406

I’ll check that out it was a great smooth running machine until this one little hiccup so I’m gonna wait for this weekend and see what I can dig into.

zlssefi

I had the throttle linkage rust together on mine when it sat outside last summer. went to start it and would only have full throttle. make sure all of your springs, linkages, bellcranks etc move freely and i think that would take care of it.

Vetech63

I had the throttle linkage rust together on mine when it sat outside last summer. went to start it and would only have full throttle. make sure all of your springs, linkages, bellcranks etc move freely and i think that would take care of it.
This makes perfect sense. Check it first thing.

Jf0406

Looked at everything externally it all moves free and looks in good order when it’s sitting there idling I can watch the butterfly start opening up slowly until reaching full speed I push it back and it feels as if vacuum is what keeps it opening I’m gonna just pull the carb and intake off I have to replace the intake gaskets anyways. It’s just hard to do because it’s very responsive and does run well it’s just seems like something telling the engine to open up just thinking vacuum??!

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Most of my experience with these engines has been throwing them into the scrap heap, but they do have a dead simple mechanical governor.

Possibly the roll pin has sheared internally attaching the fork to the lever shaft. If there is no binding and no tension on the spring something came apart inside the governor. I recall some oiling issues on certain models, they have an oil line going into the case of the governor.

Jf0406

Well when the engine is off I can push the governor back and forth and about half the time the butterfly sticks open on the throttle and when I push it shut and take my finger off it pops back open just a bit and when it’s running the governor operates normal at idle I can rev it up and it fights back at my finger but when it revs out I can’t move the governor lever at all it’s like it’s jammed and I have to push the butterfly shut. Is it my governor that is starting to fail and just keeps opening after a certain rpm?

Jf0406

I’ve figured out the problem it was he throttle linkage rod the threads are completely gone so it was just sliding in and out gonna try to find one anyone now a good parts vendor for these 610’s when I go to bobcat there always iffy on parts for these things

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Your talking the control rod from the governor lever to throttle shaft? I'd try small engine repair shops, or online. For engine parts like that don't even need to tell them it's in a bobcat, just get all the info from the Wisconsin tag.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I have a complete Wisconsin VH4D service & parts manual in PDF format I can email you. Just send me a private message with your email address in it. I should have a ton of old carbs for those engines too.
I remember a spring, I'm thinking it broke on you. It's been 25 years since I've seen a VH4D too!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have a complete Wisconsin VH4D service & parts manual in PDF format I can email you. Just send me a private message with your email address in it. I should have a ton of old carbs for those engines too.
I remember a spring, I'm thinking it broke on you. It's been 25 years since I've seen a VH4D too!

I was going to say I had a manual but the one I have is for the VG4D Wisconsin. Not sure off top of head what is different. Seems I recall the firing order was different on some compared to others.

OFF, if I send my email to you could I have a copy of the VH4D manual? If anyone is interested in the VG4D I could scan in in and save as PDF format, about 75 pages so might take a couple nights!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I was going to say I had a manual but the one I have is for the VG4D Wisconsin. Not sure off top of head what is different. Seems I recall the firing order was different on some compared to others.

OFF, if I send my email to you could I have a copy of the VH4D manual? If anyone is interested in the VG4D I could scan in in and save as PDF format, about 75 pages so might take a couple nights!

I sure can. I've got the PDF's ready to go. I've got it both all in one file, and broken down into 3 files. The one file version is fairly large. 44mb in one shot is a lot.