• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

60 series fuel shutoff

BigfootBill

Looking for location of electric fuel shutoff on 60 series with manual injectors. Any thoughts?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Looking for location of electric fuel shutoff on 60 series with manual injectors. Any thoughts?
60 series with "manual" injectors? You have something confused here. The 60 series engines had electronic injectors that were on or off to control fuel flow.
The older 2 stroke Detroits and the 8.2L engines had mechanical governors and fuel racks that controlled the injectors, some of those had electric solenoids to let the engine run or shutdown.

BigfootBill

Now that u mention it, I’m sure you’re right. I’m talking someone else through this over phone. Thanks

Shimmy1

If a 60 series won't start, first place to look is at all the grounds. Batteries, frame, engine, all of them. Of course, this is after you make sure there is fuel in the tank, lol.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
If a 60 series won't start, first place to look is at all the grounds. Batteries, frame, engine, all of them. Of course, this is after you make sure there is fuel in the tank, lol.
Also check the 2 fuses that feed the ECM, some are in the battery box, some are elsewhere depending on the truck manufacturer.

Truck Shop

And that check valve comes in several ranges make sure the correct one is installed. The trouble with a thread that has no info from the op like this one. It's assumed it won't start.
There is also manual fuel shut off on the primary filter head. Crank position sensor, injector harness and rail pump are some common problem areas plus the ecm could have taken
a dump.

Truck Shop

Bluox

60 series with "manual" injectors? You have something confused here. The 60 series engines had electronic injectors that were on or off to control fuel flow.
The older 2 stroke Detroits and the 8.2L engines had mechanical governors and fuel racks that controlled the injectors, some of those had electric solenoids to let the engine run or shutdown.
Actually series 60 injectors are mechanical unit injectors electronic controlled .
the later 71 and 92 motors used a electronic fuel control on a mechanical unit injector ,no rack or governor but both use a camshaft and rocker to manually inject fuel.
Yes 92.. its on the back of the head.. looks like a regular old brass outlet fitting.. but has a check valve in it..
The restrictor fitting doesn't have a check valve in it but if the motor had one it would be screwed on the fitting or on the other end of the fuel return line.
Bob

Reactions: DB2

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Actually series 60 injectors are mechanical unit injectors electronic controlled .
the later 71 and 92 motors used a electronic fuel control on a mechanical unit injector ,no rack or governor but both use a camshaft and rocker to manually inject fuel.

The restrictor fitting doesn't have a check valve in it but if the motor had one it would be screwed on the fitting or on the other end of the fuel return line.
Bob

I am quite familiar with the DDEC system on both the late 2 strokes and the Series 60 engines. Was merely stating there is no shutdown solenoid valve such as the one Cummins used on their engines.

Truck Shop

Oh yes that is a check valve at the back of the head, it can be disassembled and there is a aluminum piece with a ball and spring. The aluminum piece will deform and or can
cause extended cranking or a complete no start. It will start with ether and once running stay running but shut off for more than fifteen minutes and it will probably not start.

Truck Shop

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
ECM lost power, broken wire inside harness. Thanks for thoughts
Good to hear you found it. I spent Monday chasing an overheat shutdown on one. Showed a high coolant temp code, turned out to be a shorted wire on the OIL temp sensor. Apparently oil and Coolant high temp are the same thing to this engine. :rolleyes: