• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

555E Fuel Issue

cosmaar1

Hello folks. I hope everyone has had a wonderful winter season and all is doing well.

What brings me to the forum today is the result of me being an idiot! About 2 weeks ago, I was out at the property digging stumps and noticed when I would push or pull a stump, my RPMs would go from 1800-1900 to 1400-1500. When I would leave off pressure, it would go back to the higher numbers. I never noticed this before and honestly had no idea why it was doing that, but kept trying to get the last stump out.

About 5-10 minutes later, the machine started misfiring and then turned off. I looked down at the fuel gauge and while it was still moving back and forth in the green area, it must have lost suction because of the angle I was on and lost its prime. Needless to say, even after filling it up with fresh diesel, it would not start and I figured because it was run so low that the fuel filter was plugged solid.

Fast forward 2 weeks later after finally getting a filter, my dad and I went out to get everything working again. He has worked on many diesel machines before, but it took us almost 3 hours to get this thing primed. Once we finally got it working, he decided to do a little bit of cleanup and ended up using it for about 4 hours.

As he was using the machine, he did not notice any misfires, rough idling, etc., but he did say he felt like the machine was underpowered. He said it runs fine medium idled, but when you bump it up to 1800-1900, it doesn't have the umph like it used to. One thing we did not do was clean out the sediment bowl. It did have dirt in it, but it didn't look to be packed. Looking back, I should have cleaned it out regardless.

Now to my question. Do you all have any ideas what could be the issue? Could there still be air in the system? Could it be the electric fuel pump not having enough pressure and needing to be replaced?

Thanks all!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
cosmarr1,
By any chance did you look at the air filter?
I have read that the electric fuel pumps in this machine do fail...you could verify volume and pressure.

cosmaar1

cosmarr1,
By any chance did you look at the air filter?
I have read that the electric fuel pumps in this machine do fail...you could verify volume and pressure.

I actually thought about that as well. I'm not really working in a dusty environment and the machine only has 200 hours on it since it was last changed. Worth a shot though to double check.

In regards to the fuel pump, how you would suggest doing that? I would assume we could put an inline gauge in there. Would you do it prior to the fuel hitting the pump or after? When we cracked the line after the pump, it trickled out with a small stream, but we of course have no baseline to understand what it should be.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
cosmaar1,
I have pasted the portions of the manual that deal with testing the fuel pump. What I cannot find anywhere is the flow rate on the pump. It needs a good flow. Perhaps one of the fuel experts will chime in with a specific volume.
upload_2021-3-22_12-15-8.png
upload_2021-3-22_12-14-46.png

upload_2021-3-22_12-21-57.png

cosmaar1

cosmaar1,
I have pasted the portions of the manual that deal with testing the fuel pump. What I cannot find anywhere is the flow rate on the pump. It needs a good flow. Perhaps one of the fuel experts will chime in with a specific volume.

Thanks Swetz. I consulted with a friend of the family who makes his living working on machinery and he agreed it was either the air filter or more than likely a faulty pump. He said that while the old pump is still working and seems fine, as you stated, its not getting enough pressure and he suggested that I buy a new one. I found one online for $50, so I think I'm gonna get that, clean out the air filter, and clean out the whole bowl.

There isn't any other filter screens anywhere, is there? I haven't looked inside the tank, but I would assume the pickup is just a metal spout or hose, right?

cosmaar1

cosmaar1,
Just looked it up on messicks. They have 8 in stock...do you think this thing fails??

Anyhow, looking at the tank drawings, they do not show any type of sock..

Perhaps you are drawing in some air?? NH575E had some problems with the seals (see thread below).

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/substitute-for-ford-new-holland-fuel-line-seals.85460/

I will check out the link you sent. Thanks.

I just placed an order on newhollandrochester.com for all new o-rings, gaskets, etc., for both the bowl and filter housing. I also purchased a new fuel pump on amazon as there was no way I'm spending $250 for an OEM one! Along with cleaning everything out and checking the air filter, hopefully this works.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I ran mine with the wire broken to the electric pump until last year. Found it when I discovered my fuel line seals (olives) were sucking air. If you get the system primed the injection pump is all it needs.

If you haven't ever replaced your seals going to and from the fuel filter housing and injection pump you may want to.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/substitute-for-ford-new-holland-fuel-line-seals.85460/

Last time I had trouble priming I added a fuel pump inline in front of the sediment bowl and powered it with alligator clips to the battery. Sucked the fuel right up and purged the air out.

cosmaar1

I ran mine with the wire broken to the electric pump until last year. Found it when I discovered my fuel line seals (olives) were sucking air. If you get the system primed the injection pump is all it needs.

If you haven't ever replaced your seals going to and from the fuel filter housing and injection pump you may want to.

Last time I had trouble priming I added a fuel pump inline in front of the sediment bowl and powered it with alligator clips to the battery. Sucked the fuel right up and purged the air out.

You are talking about these.. right? If so, they look to be O-rings.

https://www.newhollandrochester.com/shop/14453081/

upload_2021-3-22_22-44-11.png

cosmaar1

I also noticed that your filter housing has a bleeder screw on the front. Mine does not. What year is yours?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I'm not actually seeing the seals I replaced in your picture. Your illustration is showing the o-rings under the fittings. I think I just used o-rings from a kit for those. The seals I replaced are the square shaped seals on the ends of the steel lines. Here are the cheapest ones I found near the end of my discussion.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-...333260?hash=item4b6db82a8c:g:Y~QAAOSwTtZfc3od

IMG_2107.JPG

My machine has a April 98 production date. Went into service in Jan 99.

It has a bleeder in the picture on front of the filter/pump housing. There is also a bleeder on top of the sediment bowl that looks just like the screw in the bottom of it.

bleeder.jpg

Last edited:

cosmaar1

I'm not actually seeing the seals I replaced in your picture. Your illustration is showing the o-rings under the fittings. I think I just used o-rings from a kit for those. The seals I replaced are the square shaped seals on the ends of the steel lines. Here are the cheapest ones I found near the end of my discussion.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-...333260?hash=item4b6db82a8c:g:Y~QAAOSwTtZfc3od

My machine has a April 98 production date. Went into service in Jan 99.

Thank you for replying. I actually re-read the thread again and just purchased the link you sent prior to reading your message. I too noticed those seals were not on the drawing. My machine is a '98 as well. Not sure of the service date, but close enough.

Still weird though that yours has the bleeder and mine doesn't. I see where there is an indent for where it would be put in, but it was never tapped out from the factory I guess.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Does yours have the pump on top of the filter housing? I haven't seen any non emission engines in the states but those apparently had a mechanical pump with manual primer instead of an electric pump.

Last edited:

cosmaar1

Does your have the pump on top of the filter housing? I haven't seen any non emission engines in the states but those apparently had a manual primer instead of an electric pump.
Based on all of the diagrams I’ve looked at the past two days, I’ve determined mine is emissioned.

basically when all is said and done, every gasket, seal, washer, o-ring, etc will be replaced from the sediment bowl to the inlet of the injection pump. Including a new fuel pump itself.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Make sure when you check the lines and seals to look inside the banjo fitting at the sediment bowl real close. When I got my machine it had a rust problem and a little wad of rust was stuck in the banjo fitting. My machine wouldn't keep running until I found and cleared that.