• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

555E Fuel Issue

cosmaar1

Make sure when you check the lines and seals to look inside the banjo fitting at the sediment bowl real close. When I got my machine it had a rust problem and a little wad of rust was stuck in the banjo fitting. My machine wouldn't keep running until I found and cleared that.

sorry to be a pain, but I’ve never taken the bowl apart yet. What do you consider the “banjo fitting”? I’ve heard the term used before on here but never knew what it was.

https://www.partspring.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/53533/image/8765/

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
You might also run into needing seals and the plastic screws for the sediment bowl. The screw in the bottom and the bleeder on top are both illustration number 2. My bottom screw broke so I replaced it with a bolt and copper washer. I never loosened the bleeder because I figured it would break also.

sediment-bowl-illustration.jpg

sediment-bowl-part-numbers.jpg

cosmaar1

You might also run into needing seals and the plastic screws for the sediment bowl. The screw in the bottom and the bleeder on top are both illustration number 2. My bottom screw broke so I replaced it with a bolt and copper washer. I never loosened the bleeder because I figured it would break also.

Yes I already purchased everything for the bowl. My plastic screws are still fine and work good. We had to take these off when trying to prime the system last weekend.

cosmaar1

While waiting for parts, I’ve decided to also replace the fuel lines for the supply and return.

The only thing I can’t see is inside of the fuel tank itself. The service manual doesn’t say squat about what’s inside or what the fuel lines attach to.

Has anyone ever looked inside to see how the fuel is sucked up? Is it rubber hoses? Steel pipes?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
While waiting for parts, I’ve decided to also replace the fuel lines for the supply and return.

The only thing I can’t see is inside of the fuel tank itself. The service manual doesn’t say squat about what’s inside or what the fuel lines attach to.

Has anyone ever looked inside to see how the fuel is sucked up? Is it rubber hoses? Steel pipes?

Small tube is supply, larger tube is return.

in-tank-after.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
That is a great pic. I too was curious as to what was at the bottom of the tank..TY!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
FYI This is what the bottom of my tank looked like when I got it and before I soaked it with a 50% vinegar and water solution.

I think it has the same rust condition in the top but I haven't taken time to pull the tank to try and deal with that. That will probably bite me down the road.

in-tank.jpg

My filters were clogged and the main culprit turned out to be one little chunk of rust in the banjo fitting at the sediment bowl. I had the tank cleaned, filters changed, and hoses replaced and still had the engine shutting off problem. When I found this and cleaned it out it came to life and kept running.

power-robber.jpg

Last edited:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
A picture is worth a 1000 words!!
Thanks again, more good info!

cosmaar1

FYI This is what the bottom of my tank looked like when I got it and before I soaked it with a 50% vinegar and water solution.

I think it has the same rust condition in the top but I haven't taken time to pull the tank to try and deal with that. That will probably bite me down the road.

View attachment 236411

My filters were clogged and the main culprit turned out to be one little chunk of rust in the banjo fitting at the sediment bowl. I had the tank cleaned, filters changed, and hoses replaced and still had the engine shutting off problem. When I found this and cleaned it out it came to life and kept running.

View attachment 236415
If I could like that 1,000 times I would. Thank you!!!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I have used the cider vinegar cleanse method as well, on several different types of fuel tanks, it really gets rid of some crap, just need to remember the baking soda flush afterwards to neutralize the acid.........

cosmaar1

Well I wanted to give an update on my fuel issue now that everything (knock on wood) has been fixed.

NH575E was correct about one thing, boy were those banjo fittings clogged up with a bunch of crud! Honestly I think this was the culprit, but we decided to replace all of the gaskets, washers, and o-rings for the whole bowl assembly. I also put an inline filter in to try and prevent this from happening again. Just for the heck of it because I figured they were original, we replaced the supply and return hoses.

upload_2021-4-3_18-54-23.jpeg

upload_2021-4-3_18-54-36.jpeg

Next up, we replaced some of the “olives” on the hard lines going to the filter housing and then going to the injector pump. We did have an issue with these. Someone suggested purchasing these from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-...333260?hash=item4b6db82a8c:g:Y~QAAOSwTtZfc3od

While they did end up working, the ones I got from this link were not thick enough. When we put one on each end of the tube, once connected to the fitting, the tube would be loose and would not seal. We tried using a piece of 5/16 hose, but it was slightly too big and the nut wouldn’t slide over it. We ended up using 2 of the eBay ones on each end and were able to put one on top of the other. This worked good.

Lastly, I bought a fuel pump originally thinking that was the issue, but didn’t need to use it. Amazon will be getting this back :)

Appreciate everyone’s help, pictures, and suggestions. You guys are the best!

Edit: the machine worked great prior to me running it out of fuel. After running it today, we were able to lower the RPMs with the same performance. The throttle response also seemed a lot better as well. My guess is that we had a slight blockage prior and when I ran it out of fuel it made it worse to make it not want to run at all.

Last edited:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
cosmaar1,
That is great news!
The pictures are great as well!