• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

520C Dresser transmission problem

Mike Fryer

Greetings.
My 520c dresser recently developed a problem when engaging reverse.
After about 20-30 minutes of operation it loses power in reverse only. The forward gears will still have usual power, but in reverse the machine barely moves when it is at operating temperature.
Before I remove the transmission are there any checks or advice anyone can offer?
Below is the I.D. plate on the transmission.
20210726_075758.jpg 20210726_075848.jpg 20210726_075758.jpg 20210726_075848.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The problem with response on this web site on this particular transmission is that the machine was built in Poland and is not common in the US and probably not real common in the rest of the world. The machines built when the brand was International Harvester used a constant mesh countershaft transmission. If this is the same type of unit you might have a broken seal ring on the reverse gear clutch pack. Have you done anything to troubleshoot the problem? Remove and check the filters or check transmission pressures.

Mike Fryer

Hi John.
I have changed the filter and oil. I took pressure readings on the control valve and everything seems normal when transmission is cold or hot. If it was a broken seal ring would I expect to see a drop in pressure when the machine is hot on the reverse gear test point? Could this be worn reverse clutches?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If the pressures were correct, then all I can say at this point is a slipping clutch pack or something broken on the reverse gear. Do you have a mechanical shift linkage or a hydraulic control for the transmission.

Mike Fryer

Hi. It is a mechanical shift linkage. I think you may be right on a worn clutch pack as it loses drive in reverse only when it is hot

Welder Dave

This is a 2 year old thread but I think the OP was looking to repair his trans. not replace it with another one.

Supereon

Thanks Dave, I’m open to doing either.
The loader works fine and is strong but I have metal in the screens which means failure is going to happen sooner or later. I’m going to run it for snow this year and just want to have a solution when it does go out.