• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3D printed tool

bkj110

I'm rebuilding the leaky loader control valve on my 580C. I got stuck removing the plastic gland nut and didn't want to butcher it up using the wrong hand tools(It's the machinist in me). So I was going to CNC mill a custom castle nut tool then decided that would take too long. I decided to see if a plastic printed 3D tool would hold up. It took me 15 minutes to draw it as a solid model after taking some basic measurements with a pair of dial calipers. The printer took about 80 minutes to print it. I was shocked at how strong the plastic is. Very accurate too. I had to hit the teeth with a couple of passes of the file to knock the crumbs off from the printing process. The gland was stuck pretty good and I did not shear any of the teeth off. Worked like a charm.

Next, I'm going to rebuild the sloppy loader linkages that move the bucket and loader spools. After drilling and reaming the holes I will install IGUS polymer bearings and plug the grease zerks with a threaded plug. It will run dry forever with no maintenance.

Anything I need to look out for on this rebuild that is not mentioned in the manual? I'm going to replace 100% of the soft parts.

Steve
Hey bud, would you be willing to share the 3D file? I'm in process of rebuilding mine and came on here to see what others may have done to get that goofy nut out, never thought to print one, I was going to mill one.

Eric a1cnc

I also was wondering if you would be willing to share the 3d file. I own and use solidworks and I run a cnc machine shop at home. I was going to go down the same path soon for the valve on my dozer.

I appreciate you becoming a teacher and trying to teach and re-direct at least some of our youth to some useful skills. I wish I could somehow get into that

Eric a1cnc

Could a 3D printer create this gear on this tachometer drive ? It was used on thousands of Case industrial and farm tractors. CNH now wants $474.00 for the complete drive.
The used supply is diminishing every day.
View attachment 210904
I would think there is a company that could make the gear for this. There are a few plastic gear makers that come up with a search. Maybe the new gear could be epoxied on in place of the old gear after you remove the old one. A rebuild service for your old one maybe?

Eric a1cnc

I can use a .step file. That will come right into solidworks and from there I can use my cam software to will it out.
I REALLY need to fix the live tooling on my lathe and then I could make it on one machine...:p