• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

344H Died Help!!

gordyo

Charter Member
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Lifting a transformer off a flatbed yesterday and the loader just quit. Have headlights, radio etc. but no start,engine won't even turn over. Seems like no power to start circuit. Anyone familiar with this machine, John Deere 344H. Tested batteries and they are fine. Checked all the fuses that I could see in the panel and they are all fine. Turn key nothin

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
So it was running and engine died? And now it won't turn over either? Sounds like two different circuits starting and ignition.

First thing I would check is the ignition switch for power and continuity.

I can't remember if there are any safety type switches on that machine. If there are then that might be the problem.

cat320

Charter Member
Jeff do you have diesel in it :D I know but i had to say it just sounded like it just ran out.Check any realys if there are any that can be switched from one to another because i had kinda a similar problem with my case , in that it would not go forward or reverse and it happended just like that. we checked realyays that we could and the odd sized ones that felt fine and so forth were not.

Like ct said there could be a safty nutral switch that is not working properly. all these new machines are heavely into electronics even in my forward/reverse shifter is a circiute board.

Last edited:

gordyo

Charter Member
Occupation
Fleet Manager
I had removed the ignition switch earlier this morning and tested it and it works. I can every once in a while get the thing to try to start but as soon as it kicks over it shuts down. I don't even get the panel to light up. Frustrating becuase it is stuck in the middle of a parking lot and it won't move without me going through a procedure to put it into tow mode and the dealer can't get anyone out here till Wednesday next week RRRRRRR. If I had a schematic for this thing I could probably trace the two blue wires out of the ignition switch to see were they go. My guess is some safety switch is were they go but you need to be 2 feet tall and skinny as a baseball bat to climb around under the cab to trace any wires.

By the way Cat320, I did check that it had fuel:dizzy

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
most JDs use an "energize to run" fuel solenoid.check voltage to solenoid,usually a single wire solenoid at the fuel pump.if voltage drops below 10 volts,it won't maintain fuel into pump.in emergencies,i've ran a seperate hot wire to solenoid.not a good idea except to secure machine.safety switch is most likely culprit,neutral safety,should be one to avoid starter solenoid activation when engine is running,this is a relay tied to alternator.if starter engages,but engine won't start,look for fuel solenoid problem.

gordyo

Charter Member
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Probably should have posted this a few weeks ago but..........After being told that I could not get someone out to look at it for a week, and that I should go through the procedure to unlock the brakes so I could move it out of the way, I decided that I was going to try to search it down before I spent all the time unlocking the brakes and hydraulic pumps. I searched for about an hour with a mirror on a stick and flashlight and finally found under the joystick a sub panel off the main fuse block that housed the start relays and start circuit fuses. As soon as I started to remove the cover around the joy stick, the panel on the machine lite up and I was able to start the machine and it shut ridght down. I knew I was on to something. When I got to the panel with all the Start fuses and relays I found the start relay burned. Ordered the part, popped it in the next day and wala the machine has been running since. I called my John Deere service dept. and cancelled the road service call I had set up.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
gordyo, take a good look at the connectors to that relay. Its melting indicates resistance, or a poor connection. Make sure the connectors all are clean and clamp firmly to the relay post to avoid a recurrance.

Glad to hear you got it worked out!

cat320

Charter Member
Boy now that i look at my post i really nailed that one down with the relays . Only because i had the similar problem not to long before this and i took the whole machine apart to find it

gordyo

Charter Member
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Originally posted by Steve Frazier
gordyo, take a good look at the connectors to that relay. Its melting indicates resistance, or a poor connection. Make sure the connectors all are clean and clamp firmly to the relay post to avoid a recurrance.

Before I even got the new part I had cleaned all the connections and hit them with dielectric grease and made sure everything was tight. At least if it does happen again, I know were to look now!!:cool2

gordyo

Charter Member
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Update 3 years later.

Thought I would update this thread again since the problem occurred again 2 months ago, 3 years after the original problem, in case there are any other 344H owners having the same problem. This time I went through 2 ignition relays and finally had enough and called in the Tech from my Deere dealer. He was great. He spent the time to really trace out what the problem was. He came up with a TSB about the possibility that the wiring in the Red Dot A/C unit upgrades that Deere was offering may be wrong. I had suspected that the load this A/C unit put on the electrical system was part of my problem 3 years ago and I had disconnected all that wiring back then and I wired the A/C unit direct to the battery's bypassing the machines electrical system so he said that I had taken care of that problem back 3 years ago. This TSB did key the tech on to what the potential problem might be. The TSB was about a problem with an aftermarket A/C unit and he took notice that this machine had an aftermarket Two Way radio installed in it. What he found was a combination of a loose terminal at the ignition relay caused most probably by excessive heat becuase of the improper installation of a two way radio, installed by a local radio guy that had tapped into one of the ignition wires. Between the loose connection and the fact that the Deere tech found that when the two way radio was just scanning it drew .3 amps but when you key the two way to transmit it draws 12 amps. This explained why the relays were heating up and failing. The diagnostic was to turn on all the lights, AM/FM Radio, Heat and then take amp readings at different spots according to the schematic. He found that with all this stuff on, as soon as the radio was keyed to transmit, it was jumping the amperage up over the rated 70 amps of the ignition relay. The two way was disconected and he replaced everything that had taken heat and the machine seems to be good as new. I went back over in my head when the last time the machine died before I called the tech in and it was when one of my operators was plowing snow in one of the college parking lots and the machine had all the lights on, heat, am fm radio, and he said he remembered picking up the two way to call public safety for something and the machine just died. Guess this splains why!

Last edited: