• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

#3406C low power

Dave Neubert

3er01959 this is a high horse 525 hp in a drill rig motor bogs down under load. fuel pressure is 35- 40 psi under load, boost 15-17 psi replaced fuel lines,fuel filter, rebuilt injection pump no blow by on engine, any one have any ideas motor exhaust hardly smokes under load ,tried bi passing fuel air ratio valve I'm out of ideas

cfherrman

Don't know cats much but fuel pressure seems low and so does boost. Might need injectors if fuel pressure is fine or after getting it into spec still doesn't boost higher

terex herder

Complete air intake system check, from inlet to turbo. Physically check entire system for obstructions. Why was injection pump rebuilt?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
When you say you bypassed air fuel ratio do you mean you turned the adjustment screw in all the way.
If this is driving the drill through a hydraulic pump have you checked that the pump is set right?
Is it a waste gated turbo?
That fuel pressure is normal but I’m surprised the boost is that low of a spec to make 525 hp.
If the fuel pump was rebuilt did they detune
it from where it had been set before rebuild.

Dave Neubert

When you say you bypassed air fuel ratio do you mean you turned the adjustment screw in all the way.
If this is driving the drill through a hydraulic pump have you checked that the pump is set right?
That fuel pressure is normal but I’m surprised the boost is that low of a spec to make 525 hp.
The performance chart calls for 18 psi unless 36.5 hg conversion was wrong

Dave Neubert

No I put the correct block off plate on the pump. no waste gate pump was set 10% over

cfherrman

This engine is probably on draworks or a mud pump, belt or chain drive.

I can't see a complaint on low HP with a 525 HP engine and boost only being 18 psi and that being normal.

I don't know cats, very little. That thing needs more boost to make 525 HP and your not getting it.

Shimmy1

3er01959 this is a high horse 525 hp in a drill rig motor bogs down under load. fuel pressure is 35- 40 psi under load, boost 15-17 psi replaced fuel lines,fuel filter, rebuilt injection pump no blow by on engine, any one have any ideas motor exhaust hardly smokes under load ,tried bi passing fuel air ratio valve I'm out of ideas
Pull the exhaust off turbo and check the turbine wheel.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm not going to get involved in the diagnostics but here are a few figures from the original dyno test for 3ER01959. Unless the engine arrangement has been modified since it was built they should still be valid.

Rated BHP - 500 @ 2100 RPM.
Adjusted boost pressure at full power - 58.0 inches Hg or 28.5psi.
Fuel pressure - 35psi.
FL Static Fuel Setting - 0.124"
FT Static Fuel Setting - 0.134"