• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

#3406C low power

chidog

What is the whole story? When did this start to happen? And is that why you did all the work to it?
Maybe the gizmo that the flywheel or pto is hooked to has the problem, and is just over loading it?
This is just more info to think about.
Is the governor responding to the load?
Is pump timed correctly?

I thought I remember the old school advance having an occasional slipping problem, its been so long don't know.

Last edited:

Dave Neubert

What is the whole story? When did this start to happen? And is that why you did all the work to it?
Maybe the gizmo that the flywheel or pto is hooked to has the problem, and is just over loading it?
This is just more info to think about.
Is the governor responding to the load?
Is pump timed correctly?

I thought I remember the old school advance having an occasional slipping problem, its been so long don't know.
Was working fine then as I was told it started bogging it runs a air compressor should build 350 psi starts bogging at 200 psi with very little smoke timing good governor seems to respond

Truck Shop

Plugged--it was great when ATF could be added to fuel. But that red stuff turns a tank red.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’ve had Cat nozzles kick my ass like that, in the past. Like Vetech63 mentioned. Hard starting is a great clue. We forget about the easy stuff.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Having the OT spec is so valuable. The service manual is just a guide with generic specs. Nige is a gentleman to provide that info, time and time again.

Dave Neubert

I’ve had Cat nozzles kick my ass like that, in the past. Like Vetech63 mentioned. Hard starting is a great clue. We forget about the easy stuff.
Never suspected injectors started great sounded good no puffing or miss. the governor on the injection pump was wore out so it needed a rebuild anyway

Truck Shop

It's why I brought up ATF in the fuel-----Anyone running a stationary should dump a couple
quarts in the tank from time to time. The on road diesel cops won't be checking. ATF was the
common cure for years worked well for unclogging Cat pencil nozzles, plus it was cheap.

Vetech63

I don't know what we would do without Vetech & BlueOx, two of the best.
giphy.gif