• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

320clu alternator problem

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
the warning, battery voltage irregular, came up today. My machine is a grey market machine so cat numbers do me no good. It has a mitsubishi alternator #a4tu3599 on it and just wondering if anyone else had the same excavator or a way to cross reference the number so that i might get a more available alternator. Also is the voltage regulator built into these alternators as most later model ones are? Thanks for your help guys. David:beatsme

2003 cat 320clu

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Find an alternator repair shop. You will most likely find they will have sources for parts.

I would also not assume that the Cat dealer won't get parts for you. Usually the parts like alternators and starters are the same. Find a domestic machine and compare the components.

Good Luck!

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Did it come on and stay on? Flash on once? Does it flicker on and off all day long?

Have you checked to see if the r-terminal is still connected or if theres a break in the r-terminal wire?

Komatsu 150

If you can get a parts book from the original country, Cat can often get the parts with those part numbers. Of course you may have to deal with whatever language it is. The rebuilder is the best bet although they have have turned me down in the past - some offshore alternators they have serious trouble getting parts for.

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
Thanks for all the help. My local cat dealer and I located a alternator for it. There was only two in the country. We tried to get it rebuilt but the stator was shot which happened to be the most expensive and most rare part of course. The reman was $400 and the new unit was $800. Since there was no remans I had no choice. Not so fast. My part guy says sometimes when no remans are available you can put an order in for it and they'll send you a new one. Presto! That's what just happened. Got lucky for once.:)

grandpa

Thanks for all the help. My local cat dealer and I located a alternator for it. There was only two in the country. We tried to get it rebuilt but the stator was shot which happened to be the most expensive and most rare part of course. The reman was $400 and the new unit was $800. Since there was no remans I had no choice. Not so fast. My part guy says sometimes when no remans are available you can put an order in for it and they'll send you a new one. Presto! That's what just happened. Got lucky for once.:)

Yup, that happened to me once too, got a new injection pump for the price of reman. Dealer said they needed on to rebuild for stock so they made me a good deal, glad you got lucky too, a guy needs to once in a while, bah ha ha:drinkup