• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

320c ANB series replacing back of cab glass with safety zipper gasket

bill fold

I feel defeated.
Why can't I seem to replace the back of cab window?
The original turned milky.
I ordered a new glass from ITR. It is real glass. Exactly same dimensions as original.

I also ordered a brand new gasket from Caterpillar. Looks just like original but more soft and pliable.

pulled the safety zipper out of original glass and pushed it out in seconds.

wrapped new glass with new gasket.
The glass rides on the outside of the metal surround. On the outside of the cab.
I CANNOT seem to get the lip of the gasket in the metal from of cab.
I have left the zipper out of the gasket to make it more flexible and it has NOT helped. The gasket seems to sort of push off of glass.

move tried to go against logic and install zipper gasket to tighten it up. Still can't get it on.
I even had suction cup handles to control the glass on inside and outside of cab.

I have used rope in the gasket. String. I've YouTubed how to replace it. I can't even see how a glass installer could do it.

There has to be a trick.

many tips?
Thanks so much.

Gary Layton

Thanks for asking this. I have a 320C L and the back (plexi)glass is awful. I have considered getting real glass, too. I'll be curious to see how this works out for you.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know what kind of gasket you have. So many have gone to glue. Years ago we would install the gasket on the windows frame and then install the glass into the gasket. I still have a plastic stick used for holding the edge of the gasket out some so the edge of the glass could be slid in a little at a time. I have used dish soap to the rubber as well to help get the glass to slide a little easier. Once the glass was in, I would install locking string. That string always got a coating of liquid soak as I installed it.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I gave up on installing those replacement gaskets and glass a long time ago. Save yourself a lot of grief and call a window glass company to come install it. I even noticed last time I had a rental dozer from Cat, they sent a window glass company out to replace a broken rear glass in the cab instead of sending their own mechanic.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can't even see how a glass installer could do it. There has to be a trick.
There is, and a glass installer would know eactly what it was and would have the window installed in 5 mins or less.

Maybe the attached will shed some light. It's for a front windshield but the same procedure should still apply.

Attachments

• SEHS9678.pdf
    239 KB · Views: 11

bill fold

Pictures here for reference

Attachments

• E6CBE1A0-49C7-4745-839D-85EA19EA13CD.jpeg
    E6CBE1A0-49C7-4745-839D-85EA19EA13CD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 2CF15B46-77DC-404B-B412-7EB69036AF05.jpeg
    2CF15B46-77DC-404B-B412-7EB69036AF05.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • AFF71593-A179-4217-A860-AB806987A0CD.jpeg
    AFF71593-A179-4217-A860-AB806987A0CD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

bill fold

There is, and a glass installer would know eactly what it was and would have the window installed in 5 mins or less.

Maybe the attached will shed some light. It's for a front windshield but the same procedure should still apply.
Thanks so much! On my machine, the front windshield glued to the metal frame. I have to replace that glass too!! Cracked all over!

I always appreciate your professional replies on here. Seems like you have all the access to detailed Cat stuff.

the weird thing about the back of cab glass is they the glass is higher than the hole. It floats in gasket on the outside of the frame. That way it can be kicked outward after pulling the safety gasket.
You'd think this would be even easier to install as leaving the safety gasket out makes it more flexible until installed.

I have installed glass in old flat window keeps and peterbilt flat front windshields. This is weird.

id love to know the trick!

thanks so much for the link. I am trying to download it

bill fold

I gave up on installing those replacement gaskets and glass a long time ago. Save yourself a lot of grief and call a window glass company to come install it. I even noticed last time I had a rental dozer from Cat, they sent a window glass company out to replace a broken rear glass in the cab instead of sending their own mechanic.

I would like to watch and see the trick!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
On my machine, the front windshield glued to the metal frame. I have to replace that glass too!!
Then you'll need this. You'll also need the attached Cat-Loctite Product crossover list because Cat don't sell chemical/adhesive products of the type you require to do this job any more.

Attachments

• SEHS9824-23 - Replacing Bonded windows.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • loctite-cross-reference-list-for-cat-part-numbers.pdf
    104.1 KB · Views: 1

bill fold

Then you'll need this. You'll also need the attached Cat-Loctite Product crossover list because Cat don't sell chemical/adhesive products of the type you require to do this job any more.
Thank you so much!! I just mysteriously found where the PDF documents go on my iPhone. I would download and then they would disappear!!

I am investigating this front windshield pdf. Lots of detail in the install.

thanks so much Nige!!! You are always a big help.

im still struggling with the rear glass.