• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3208 cat

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
I have a non-turbo caterpillar 3208 diesel in my ford 8000 dump. It gets the job done, but I hate being the slowest vehicle on the road when loaded and pulling almost any hill whatsoever. My question is-has anyone ever added a turbo to this motor, and if so did it substantially boost it's performance. I have checked two places, one said it could be done, the other said the turbo version has different compression pistons. I don't have a parts book yet for this motor, or I would see if the part #'s were the same. Thanks for any help!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I think you'd be better off swapping in another motor. Ford had their own inline 6 that they used in later model 8000s that was pretty good, or you could swap in an L10 Cummins or inline 6 Cat for that size truck. Even with a turbo, the 3208 will still be a 3208. The 3208 is probably the poorest example of engineering that Caterpillar ever turned out!

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
if your only question is can it be done. then yet is can be done. cheaply.. probally not. would it be worth the cost and effort.. probally not.in all reality you can put a turbo on any combustable motor. but once thats done then your gonna have to look at upgrading the fuel system. injectors. carb what ever fuel indection system you are using. i think finding a turbo motor- or differnent motor would be probally the best bet.just rember that swaping motor- is gonna require alot of swaping fuel system etc. tranny- if may be cheaper- easier in the long run to just sell the truck and buy one thats turbo - better truck..

payton

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
The 3280N has different pistons, camshaft. The 3208T also dosn't rev as high so it actually would be slower, about 600 rpm difference, so a gear change would work better, whether it be rearend ratio or overdrive tranny :bash

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
3208 blues

3208 engines vary in horsepower from 190 to about 300. The aspirated ones are painfully slow.

It is possible to put a turbo on the engine but head and valve work is necessary and $2500-3500 upgrade for a $7000 engine is not good math!

My suggestion to you is this: When you wear it out or when you can't stand it any longer, replace it with a turbo version of the 3208. Clearance and fit problems will be minimal, you get another hundred horses, the engine rpm is compatable with the tranny and rears, and you're not that truck in the way up ahead any more.

Unless you are a truly gifted mechanic with plenty of help, don't try to go to a larger truck engine in the 8000 engine compartment, space is severely limited and the tranny linkage of a big engine starts 3 feet behind the drivers seat.

3208's are very sensitive to clean air cleaners, fresh fuel filters, fully pressurized tires, and cetane rating { use the cetane boost).
Since a 3208 is a sleeveless engine, some improvement can be had by adding 3 or 4 diesel oil treatments ( the slick one) to your crankcase oil.
If you pay attention to all of the above items and still have a power problem, its time to check with Cat, fuel pump diaphrams being blown can reduce power by 30% and can be replaced by Cat for under $200. Fuel pressure and flow are adjustable if they are below manufacturer spec.

By the way, I've got one too. Strangely enough, when we replaced the original 15 speed, we ended up with a upside down, turned around 15 speed and in spite of being slow to start, the 84 F8000 will currently top 90.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
Thanks triaxle, you gave me some good sugestions for things to look at. The engine only has 64,000 miles, so I'm assuming that it won't wear out anytime soon. It seems to have plenty of power, but it's brutaly slow uphill when loaded. I've been treating the fuel about the last 1,000 miles, and I can certainly see a difference. I plan on taking it to the cat dealer soon to have everything checked out. I appreciate the help!

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Touching base

Here are several thoughts that have come recently. Some of this has nothing to do with your original question but are just random thoughts on a rainey morning............
Cat engines have a different air/ fuel mixture for machines operated above 5,000 ft elevation. Your truck didn't come from Flagstaff, did it?

When an aspirated 3208, rated at 190hp, is slow, think about it, that's 20 hp less than your diesel F-350 with a similar displacement.

I thought our 3208 was worse than it actually was because wear on the original tranny was wasting hp. Is your tranny high mileage?

The Bud beer distributor for north Georgia uses all 3208 turbo engines. The tallest mountains are about 4700 feet, here. The drivers for that distributor advise me the new 300hp 3208's are much better than the old ones, but nevertheless the design is for a cheap, sleeveless engine that can be replaced with a rebuild for 7K.

The quality of this specific design may say much about the nature of competition between engine manufacturers for the low end engine market.

In spite of my grumbling my way up most hills, my dump truck has been paid off since 97, cranks and runs every day, and has been more profitable than my 94 D5. I am hoping that, as we run out of oil, that I can convert it to solar or hydrogen technology soon. Remember, when we're all climbing hills on solar or battery power, there won't be any fast trucks, anymore.

This entire note may be the result of breathing too much 3208 exaust :dizzy