• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310Sg sudden no start

Tyee

Had an odd one tonight. I have been using my John Deere 2003 310SG backhoe for about 2 years now with no issues. Even at 5pm I started it just fine, usually cranks up within a second of starting.

I parked it on a slight slope pointed downhill for about 2 hours.

Went back to use it for some more snow clearing and it would crank fine but no fire up.

Seems I have fuel. Filled up yesterday for a full tank but no joy tonight.

Delmer

Try the priming pump and a bleeder on the filter to see if it's getting fuel. If you have a stanadyne db4 pump, it has one power wire to turn on the injection pump, that could have gotten knocked loose over the years, with the key on you should be able to remove and reconnect that wire and hear a click. If you have an electronic controlled pump, I can't help.

Tyee

Try the priming pump and a bleeder on the filter to see if it's getting fuel. If you have a stanadyne db4 pump, it has one power wire to turn on the injection pump, that could have gotten knocked loose over the years, with the key on you should be able to remove and reconnect that wire and hear a click. If you have an electronic controlled pump, I can't help.

will check that in the morning.

Tyee

The odd thing is it went from being perfectly fine almost daily and even fine when I started it earlier this evening to nothing. No smoke or anything. Just cranks but doesn’t fire up or smoke or anything.

berky

The odd thing is it went from being perfectly fine almost daily and even fine when I started it earlier this evening to nothing. No smoke or anything. Just cranks but doesn’t fire up or smoke or anything.[/QUOTE]

That's usually how it always is, ran find till it didn't. Sounds like a fuel delivery issue if you are seeing no smoke on long cranking

Tyee

The pain with all of this. We just got another foot or more of wet snow and this is my road clearing machine. Not really something I can do without for a few days, and getting parts will be an adventure just getting out to the main road. ‍♂️

Delmer

Have you drained the water separator and the fuel tank to see if there's any water? the manual will say to do it everyday or something ridiculous that nobody does, but you should check every now and then, open enough to drip until there's no more water, if you get water, do it every time you run it until you don't get anymore water. If it ran fine then didn't start, ice is the most likely thing that would block fuel flow like that. Let us know what you find.

Tyee

It reminds me of my old Massey. If I leave the stop lever open it will crank with no smoke.

I doubt it is frozen fuel as it’s not much below freezing and when I had gone to start it the engine was still warm from the previous operations.

What creates the stop fuel delivery to shut off the engine? Can it get stuck?

Tyee

That backhoe has an ECM so this could be computer related.
I’m doubtful as no codes or such and we had a
No electrical power for one. Did you check all the fuses in the panel and any near the battery and/or the injector pump?
just about to go back out in the daylight to trace the fuel. I was working in the dark getting buried with snow. Almost a foot of snow overnight but now it’s stopped.

I also wondered if it was something from being parked bucket downhill.

Delmer

Typically, you'll only get codes if it starts and something is not right. If it won't start you usually don't get a code, if the ECM isn't getting power, it won't throw a code.

I don't know years and cut offs, just a search showed two different pumps for an SG. Another thing that could do this, somewhat related to parking downhill, would be a loose wiring harness connector.

Tyee

So it seems sitting overnight whatever was the issue resolved itself.

tech from Brandt figured electrical, so I’m going to do some connector maintenance and clean up the pins and such.