• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310Sg sudden no start

Delmer

Easy to tell by looking at the injection pump. If it did it once, it will probably do it again, and you might as well know what to look for next time.

Spiva Const

Occupation
Retired underground utility contractor
I would start out making sure you have fuel all the way to the injection pump. Use the primer pump on the side of the engine.
Checking for water in the fuel.
If you have fuel at the pump then crack a fitting on an injector at the valve cover and crank the engine over to see if fuel comes out at the injector.
If no fuel comes out then check the fuses on the cowling in front the steering wheel, you could do that first!
If you have no fuel, at the injector, or smoke out the exhaust when cranking the engine then it gets tough.
Check harnesses, make sure diesel is not dripping on the ECU which has been know to kill them.
The bad news is the ECU can just quit like that, I’ve had several do that in the past.
There is no easy solution if it’s the ECU. You can have JD come out to diagnose it or take the tractor to the dealer or after checking all the easy stuff just take the ECU out and go to the dealer to have him reprogram a new one.
Just for future reference my 310SG quit starting the other day while working it. I checked the fuses, no problem there, then noticed the big black relay next to the fuses wasn’t clunking when turning on the key, so I replaced both the ignition switch and the relay and stars great again!
That relay is a 100% duty cycle so use OEM, I’ve tried others and had them melt.
The key switch can build up resistance and not give enough juice to activate the relay properly.

Canadian_digger

One thing I have found is the fuel vent in the fuel cap tends to plug up and the tank won’t vent causing a vacuum in the tank. If this happens you will notice sickroom went taking the fuel cap off.