• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310 SE crowd cylinder dripping

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Well after 84 hours of running my new to me machine, yesterday in the extreme heat the first leak ever happened on the hydraulics in the crowd cylinder. Its not bad, just a dribble, but it will coat the back side of the boom if using it all day. Quote from Deere is 1170 to fix if I bring the machine in there or 990 bucks if I bring the cylinder in there by itself. What do other guys do on your leakers. Again, mine is not bad, but it wont fix itself over time. A buddy of mine says expect to see leaks when its really really hot like now, or when its really really cold. Maybe I wont worry about it until I need to start added hydraulic oil? So far I havent noticed the oil tank even going down. Your thoughts?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't have good advice about whether it'll continue to leak in cooler weather. I do suggest Lucas Oil Treatment as an additive. It swells old seals, and may slow your leak.

Repacking cylinders is not real difficult. I usually do it on the machine. You need the correct spanner for the cylinder to get the gland apart. People seem to use locktite on the thread, so you may need a propane torch to warm the thread. That'll ruin the paint.
Try Broken Tractor for a kit. Usually about $90.00 + shipping + tax.

JL Sargent

Well, it eventually happens to all of them. I've had good luck rebuilding them myself. Probably a Youtube video out there on doing one too.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company

hosspuller

It's not hard to get the crowd cylinder off if you lay the hoe down... Just a bit heavy. Check your local hydraulic repair shop. Many dealers send their stuff out anyways. Mother Deere has to get her cut from the dealers.

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Well, it eventually happens to all of them. I've had good luck rebuilding them myself. Probably a Youtube video out there on doing one too.
There are some really bad videos out there on youtube. One is "how not to repack a cylinder". It has a bunch of guys with a 20 foot pipe on one end with the other end under a 1 ton truck trying to get the nut off. That scares the daylights out of me. If I had the equipment to take one a part, it does not look that bad, but It may be easier to take it off the machine? Who knows?

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
It's not hard to get the crowd cylinder off if you lay the hoe down... Just a bit heavy. Check your local hydraulic repair shop. Many dealers send their stuff out anyways. Mother Deere has to get her cut from the dealers.
Good point. One shop quoted $200 bucks which wasnt bad. Wondering how to properly lay it down. Looks like large snap rings keep the cylinder in there.

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Hey Fred from MO, I created a thread on a cylinder rebuild I did. It is not that hard. Biggest problems I had were cracking the gland nut loose, and loosening and tightening the piston bolt.

Link to the thread below...scroll down a bit to where I broke it into paragraphs, it is an easier read.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...stabilizer-cylinder-repair.82608/#post-885119
Nice write up. Thanks The stabilizer looks a little easier to handle since its smaller than the crowd cylinder. My crowd weighs 130lbs!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Fred from MO, I did not remove the whole cylinder. I took the gland nut off and slid the piston out and took this to my workshop for repair. I will soon be doing the lift cylinder, the largest cylinder on the machine. I have already taken the time to break the gland nut loose. The only hard part will be the bolt on the end of the rod (piston nut). I purchased a SK brand 3/4" 36" breaker bar just for cylinders. I am good with a pipe on the wrench as long as the cylinder is secure...hense why I do not remove the pin from the barrel, as it is very secure that way. I have welded up a stand to put the boom on so I know it will not move either. Sometimes the larger cylinders are easier to get together than the small diameter cylinders, i.e. steering cylinder.

Another thought...If you get the piston out and cannot get it apart, you can take just the piston, rod, and gland to the hydraulic shop and they will prolly charge you less. If you can get the piston bolt out, you save even more.

boone

I can stand a leaky cylinder for awhile, but like you said, it won't get better.

I had good luck on the stabilizer cylinder reseal at a local hydraulic shop. Don't ask me about the valve bank at the same shop, that's another story.

I would've resealed it myself, but the rod needed straightening/replaced, so while they had it I let them reseal it. I had the rod out of the cylinder, so they cut me a small break on the reseal. They were also able to do a leak check on it. I'd be about 50/50 wanting to do that crowd cylinder myself vs letting a shop do it. $990 will buy a lot of tools for the 10 additional cylinders on your machine that will eventually need resealing.

Welder Dave

If you found a shop that will do it for $200 if you took the cylinder to them is a great deal. Just extend the stick out so you can lower it enough to get the cylinder off. May have to block the boom or use a chain to hold the stick so the cylinder is loose. Under $300 not worth buying a bunch of tools and fighting with it in my opinion. A hyd. shop will have a cylinder bench and save you a lot of frustration if you've never done it.

Delmer

The other side of that Dave, is that any cylinder that gives the least trouble will be extra labor, they might screw something up that you could have got loose with more patience.

IF you knew a place that worked great for others for $200, you probably wouldn't be asking here.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The tractor that I just bought had the crowd cylinder repacked just before I purchased it. I know this because I have the paperwork. The cost was ~$300. Seems good, but the butcher that did it ruined all the pin holes on the gland, then attacked it with a pipe wrench. Looks like ass. I would have used the correct sized spanner and used the old hammer on the barrel trick. I am confident that I could have done it without butchering up the cylinder....it doesn't leak tho:D

Welder Dave

If the OP has never had to get a cylinder done wouldn't know if the $200 quote was from a reputable shop or not but just about everyone has reviews on the net.

I took just the rods in to have seals replaced on my 4 in 1 cylinders. Rods were in good shape but gland seals leaked. Seals were about $93 per cylinder and they charged me an hour labor per cylinder which I thought was reasonable. They said they couldn't guarantee them because they couldn't bench test them but I was OK with that. The good thing was they are Cat cylinders with external threads on the body and tapered wider at the opening. I suspect the JD dealer is quoting for a complete cylinder rebuild including honing the bore, polishing the rod, bench testing, new pin bushings and seals, etc. This is good for a machine you make your living with. An independent shop may just do the seals if the rod looks in good shape.

Delmer

Exactly, a cylinder fails and leaks on a late model machine, and a dealer will expect to hone it. The seals fall apart after 30 years, and you can probably get away with just new seals (less likely it was damage, more likely just age, unless it's your bucket or stabilizer cylinders)

Tim Burke

That's about 2X what I paid a few month back for a 310SG crowd cyl repack at the local Deere dealer. I took just the cylinder to them.

oXo Raizen oXo

Occupation
Mechanic Manager
hopefully it isn't new enough to have the 120 type cylinders where you remove keeper ring, push gland into barrel about 2 inches, insert orange bypass ring for internal snap ring then pull out or blow out with air, God bless new technology

if so buy rebuild kit prior to removal orange ring is in package

Delmer

New enough? those style cylinders go back further than an E in JD's. They will come apart fine without the orange ring, and go back together fine without the ring too, with NEW SEALS obviously. Don't ever use air, use hydraulics however you want to, but never air.

If you don't want to use force to pull the piston past the seals and destroy them, then fill the groove with bondo, works better than the orange ring.