• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

277 enginge trouble

brabe

277 engine trouble

i was outside pushing snow and all of a sudden it started loosing power and finally will not rev up
it just barely idles and barely move
i thought maybe it had snow clogged in the air filter but i took it off and it
made no difference
it happened very quickly. it was running fine then it started loosing power to barely idle in about 7 minutes

i let it sit for about 30 minutes, then tried to restart it and it started good and the engine reved up like it should ,
about 10 seconds later it started acting up again and i had little to no throttle response
any ideas

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Always a possiblity of fuel gelling this time of year. Are you using Power Service additive?

brabe

ive never had any trouble with fuel gelling
i just put a couple gallons of fuel that i got from the gas station tonight
temp is 28 degrees

????

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
ive never had any trouble with fuel gelling
i just put a couple gallons of fuel that i got from the gas station tonight
temp is 28 degrees

????

Hey, I'm not saying it's your problem, there is a number of things that can cause the problem your having. You have to perform a number of checks to verify what's causing it, but I definitely think you have some sort of fuel related problem. You may not have had a problem with fuel gelling before, but it can gel, quickly. I mentioned it because I noticed your from Ohio. I'm in Tennessee and it's going to be 18 here tonight, so I know it's cold where you are. I strongly recommend you use Power Service in your rig year round, and for sure in the winter. Power Service additive prevents gelling, disperses water, and keeps your injection system clean for years of reliable service for your machine. If you can get it inside a heated shop for the night would be great, then start checking things tomorrow. ;)

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
How long has it been since your fuel filter was replaced? Do you drain the water from it regularly? A dirty filter will act like that, at some point it restricts the fuel enough that you lose power, and I've had it happen quickly like you describe, especially in cold weather. Ice in the line will restrict the fuel as well. ATCOEQUIP's advice is dead on, you should run Power Service at least during winter months to prevent gelling, their 911 in the red bottle will dissolve waxed fuel in minutes.

Cmark

If you've eliminated fuel icing and filters and are still having problems, I would check the tank breather. Then if you still have problems and if your machine is a 277C, check the electric fuel transfer pump.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
If you've eliminated fuel icing and filters and are still having problems, I would check the tank breather. Then if you still have problems and if your machine is a 277C, check the electric fuel transfer pump.

From memory and if its a B with the 3044 engine; the fuel lift pump relay is down the right side of the engine bay near the rear door. For awhile, some numbskull in the assembly line decided to fit this relay upside down, or on an angle, such that moisture could collect around the wires. The typical symptoms of the relay failing are exactly as you describe. I found mine corroded internally....likely as a result of pressure cleaning.:Banghead

suhrieind

new hollnd LX665

I have a New Holland LX665 that has very little power. I bought it used and had to replace the pistons on rings and turbo but the engine blows a lot of black smoke and has no power. Any suggestions on this unit?????

bill onthehill

on the cat look for an ice blockage in the fuel line. the new holland sounds like it is starving for air. with it warm try running for a short while with air cleaners removed. a blocked secondary air filter will lead to a lot of black smoke. so will a turbo that is not up to speed. is the turbo noisy? do you have an exhaust leak? this will let the turbo lag behind the fuel delivery.

brabe

i put some power service fluid in the tank and it did not seem to fix the problem but i also removed the fuel water separater (the filter at the bottom right when u open the door) and dumped it out and reinstalled it. cranked it a couple times and it seemed to fix the problem. i ran it for a little while and it started running bad again. i took the filter off and it immediatly ran better. i think i will get a new filter tommorow, iwas about fifty hours over on when i was supposed to change it

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
i put some power service fluid in the tank and it did not seem to fix the problem but i also removed the fuel water separater (the filter at the bottom right when u open the door) and dumped it out and reinstalled it. cranked it a couple times and it seemed to fix the problem. i ran it for a little while and it started running bad again. i took the filter off and it immediatly ran better. i think i will get a new filter tommorow, iwas about fifty hours over on when i was supposed to change it

Yeah, that's the thing about diesel fuel. You could be fifty hrs over on your filter change, you could be right on time, or you could have a filter you just changed 10 hrs ago; then get a tank filled at your local fuel store and get a bunch of dregs that cloggs the filter. In my opinion, the best investment a guy that owns a machine can make is put a truck bed fuel tank with a 12V pump and spin on filter on the truck you pull your machine with to put off-road fuel in. Then, never fill your machine "at the pump". Fill your machine with the filtered fuel from your tank. Put some Power Service in your truck tank when you fill it. Then, if your machine could talk, it would be saying all kinds of nice things about you. :notworthy

Shifty

Occupation
owner operator
I have never had any luck dumping out the water separator on the bottom of a cat fuel filter. It seems that once water touches the filter element its done. I was told that the filter element is designed to stop water from passing through. Unfortunately when it stops the water it also stops the fuel.

I have also had trouble with treated fuel gelling in the filter in below 0 conditions. I found a cheap way to heat the incoming fuel by lifting the supply line from the tank and wrapping it with the return radiator hose with a insulation wrap. It helps warm the fuel before it get to the filter.

I agree with ATCO haveing a supply tank with a good water/fuel filter to fill your machine from is priceless.

John DiMartino

Super Moderator
Occupation
Greenskeeper/mechanic
Replace the fuel filters,add PS to the fuel tank,and primary filter .Prime it,and try it again.It sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
This is a problem I am having with a Cat D3G 2005 dozer. How does the fuel/water separator work? There is one inlet at the top and the water drain at the bottom. When I say how do they work. Specifically what is the flow of fluids thru the filter. I assume the water is separated by specific gravity!

Shifty

Occupation
owner operator
Yes. Water is heaver than the fuel. It work like a low spot in the fuel line and is trapped there to collect. After the filter has collected to much water then it will be passed on to the next filter and when its full on to the engine. My filters have a valve to drain the water out the bottom of the filter.I drain a little out of the filters each time fill up the tank.I don't always get water out but its a good practice to keep out water.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Thanks. The fuel/water separator filter also filters the fuel, correct. I can see the pleats when looking down in the filter from the top. If the fuel goes in the big opening at the top, where does it come out to go on to the engine? My filter also has the water drain valve at the bottom.

carogator

yep! you gave us a clue when you said you got a couple gallons of fuel at the local station. i'd say you got a lot of water. you drained water out of filter and helped for a short time. keep doing this until you get the water out. then replace the filter. water does damage a filter. Power Service then needs to be added. I sure wouldn't buy anymore fuel from the same place.

sharpdog

277B fuel drain plug location

I have a 2004 277B with the exact same problem. New fuel filter makes it run good, but only for a very short time. I want to drain the fuel/water out of my tank, but I cannot find the fuel drain plug. My manual shows the location for the 247, 257, and 287, but not a word about where the drain is for the 277. Obviously I checked the locations mentioned for the other machines in the book, but could not find it.

Does anyone know where the fuel drain plug is for the 277B?

Thanks in advance,
Sharpdog