• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

27 years and, poof!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Figure out what you like doing most, and what skills you have in abundance that would make an employer keen to acquire you as an employee. Then look for the jobs and likely employers.

It's also good to write down your aims and skills in a logical order, seeing it in print helps you keep the goals in focus.

Some people like to be their own boss, and do well with their own small business. But be aware that you need to be the right personality to survive with your own business and to be able to keep abreast of trends and demands.

There are many grants and Govt loans available for a lot of things, too - from business grants and loans right through to grants and loans for things you wouldn't normally think of.

The U.S. Govt has a staggering array of grants and loans that cover a lot of fields. I've known people who got a lot of work out of grants programs.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Speaking of loans and grants reminded me of a guy I met in the 80’s, who what I like to call, “a professional student”.. he was in his 30’s and never had a job.!! Just kept applying for grants to trade schools and would travel the country going to school after school, after school…
I guess it’s a good gig if you can get it..

Old Doug

I would let them lay you off, you'll then qualify for 26 weeks of un-employment pay.
When i was in my 30s i worked at a factory for a couple years till it closed i meet my ex there. When it closed i thought i can draw unemployment have fun with my soon to be wife but write at that time my dad sold his farm and need me to help finish his new house . I worked out was a busy good year even if it did lead up to bad stuff happening.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
When i was in my 30s i worked at a factory for a couple years till it closed i meet my ex there. When it closed i thought i can draw unemployment have fun with my soon to be wife but write at that time my dad sold his farm and need me to help finish his new house . I worked out was a busy good year even if it did lead up to bad stuff happening.
The OP and myself are both in Pennsylvania, where the unemployment laws
are different from your location.

Old Doug

The OP and myself are both in Pennsylvania, where the unemployment laws
are different from your location.
How is it different? They called us all into a meeting telling us they were closing that factory but they had to work or pay us for so many days after that date. They worked every one till we ran out of supplys then the workers went home and got payed till those days were over. Me and some other guy stayed and took every thing apart to be moved or scraped . They would have let you move and work in another plant but it wasnt that good of a job i think one guy moved and went to work but the company closed up every thing a short time later.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
How is it different? They called us all into a meeting telling us they were closing that factory but they had to work or pay us for so many days after that date. They worked every one till we ran out of supplys then the workers went home and got payed till those days were over. Me and some other guy stayed and took every thing apart to be moved or scraped . They would have let you move and work in another plant but it wasnt that good of a job i think one guy moved and went to work but the company closed up every thing a short time later.
they vary from state-to-state.
unemployment is not a federal program.
and in this case, the OP does not have the option of staying with the company by moving.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Got word that we're closing shop.
I've cleaned, maintained, and repaired the same fleet since october '96. I'm spoiled as I've always had long leash and no micromanagement above me. Road mechanic, shop mechanic, chief truck washer, etc.... and I'm unsure where to go now.
I have a high school diploma and zero formal mechanical education, but, I think dealer work may not be a great fit for me.
I simply don't know where to start, here in western Pennsylvania.

Thanks for listening, as I just had to get that off my chest.

I know that I'll land on me feet somewhere, but the worry is just starting to set in.
How is it going ?

heymccall

Owner has agreed to keep me on until auction (end of March), at same pay.
Looked at two shops in so far as interviewing.
1st one was a no go, as they do every service at 250 hour, which I think is kind of a waste, but, the machines in the shop, and trucks, were caked full, greasy, and, clearly, poorly looked after. And, they even have their own wash bay.
Don't misunderstand, machines get dirty, leak inside, and generally look awful inside, but these were beyond acceptable. And, the shop foreman just really seemed well....I dunno.

The other knows I'm not really available until March, but, they seem organized. Being our closest competitor, I already know some peoples there. But, it's all shop work. I think I'll miss being out of town 5 days a week. 1/2 and half would be a nice balance.

crane operator

Really surprised the owners are auctioning everything off. Most outfits here of any size, are getting bought out by even bigger fish. The new owners don't necessarily want just the equipment and the customers, but they are mostly hoping to latch onto and keep 75% of the experienced employees.

Glad to hear you're exploring options. Maybe look at a job that you've always thought "that would be fun to do".

Shimmy1

Owner has agreed to keep me on until auction (end of March), at same pay.
Looked at two shops in so far as interviewing.
1st one was a no go, as they do every service at 250 hour, which I think is kind of a waste, but, the machines in the shop, and trucks, were caked full, greasy, and, clearly, poorly looked after. And, they even have their own wash bay.
Don't misunderstand, machines get dirty, leak inside, and generally look awful inside, but these were beyond acceptable. And, the shop foreman just really seemed well....I dunno.

The other knows I'm not really available until March, but, they seem organized. Being our closest competitor, I already know some peoples there. But, it's all shop work. I think I'll miss being out of town 5 days a week. 1/2 and half would be a nice balance.
I'm not sure you are really in any position to nitpick about someone's service schedule. I service all engines at 250, everything else is by the manual, don't give a single phuc what others say. I don't have 100 pieces of iron, so there is that.

Depending on the size of the operation, maybe that shop needs a guy like you to get things organized, maybe not.

But, currently, you have a period at the end of the current chapter in your story. You need to either start the next one, or the epilogue.

heymccall

Its not the 250 interval so much as it is the condition of the machines. The current fleet I maintain would never be allowed that much "belly" dirt and gunk, period. If not oil soaked, plates are dropped and dirt blown out. And if oil soaked, scraped clean.
If they're serviced every 250, someone there is just slapping filters and moving on.