• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

27 years and, poof!

heymccall

Got word that we're closing shop.
I've cleaned, maintained, and repaired the same fleet since october '96. I'm spoiled as I've always had long leash and no micromanagement above me. Road mechanic, shop mechanic, chief truck washer, etc.... and I'm unsure where to go now.
I have a high school diploma and zero formal mechanical education, but, I think dealer work may not be a great fit for me.
I simply don't know where to start, here in western Pennsylvania.

Thanks for listening, as I just had to get that off my chest.

I know that I'll land on me feet somewhere, but the worry is just starting to set in.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
A line mechanic or working in a large shop would never appeal to me either. Small shops where I would fit in can't afford to pay a lot so kind of always did my own thing. Even through my federal govt. employment tenure I had a very long leash and did mostly what I needed to do without supervision.

There is still quite the need for the guy that can bounce around and specialize in nothing but you may need to work a few different positions within different employers to find something that both works for you, and pays respectable. Keep your 401(K) and whatever retirement benefits earned in force if able, as much will stay with you. Implement dealerships are always on the hunt for talent and some of the larger ones can pay respectable. I don't like farm equipment myself, (other than delivery) but I'm not young, nor as hungry as used to be in days gone by.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have no experience in your situation, but I would immediately go out and knock on doors everywhere that might even be a remote fit. If I was hard up, I would be hitting up electricians, plumbers, trucking companies, prior competitor shops, loggers, petroleum companies, excavators, etc. And not just for one class of job that is the same as before, I would be looking at anything I can do and who is the best fit and best rate of pay.

Also, what would it take for you to go on your own as a mobile truck and equipment fixer, around here, they are in high demand with a long waiting list.

TCat

I am sorry to hear of your bad news, and will pray for you during this major transition in your life. Take a little time to wrap your head around it. You will get through this. How long til the shop closes?

heymccall

Certainly, there is no longer a conflict with moving from my current employer to a dealer, but, I'm still just letting it sink in.

Right now, I'm just cruising job postings, and, still working.

Truck Shop

The work is out there-that's not the issue, it's the companies listing said work.
Starting a business is always easier when planned ahead of time. But besides
the type of work you've been doing since 96, maybe a good time to change
occupations or look at other areas within it.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
You can come to Georgia and come work with me. Seriously. You know this whole time I have wondered how you had so many Takeuchi's. I was thinking dam he has worn out a lot of them

heymccall

I'm not ready to go independent.
I've built fiberglass boats, sewn and installed convertible tops, reupolstered boats, sold cars, installed car stereos, had my own shop where I fixed TVs, radios and computers, and then, I fell into this.
Here, I do (did) all the upfitting (2way radios, power inverters, transfer tanks, strobe lights, headache racks, decals and logos), order all parts, service machinery and vehicles.

So, I'm not short on talent, skill, or drive...it's just the change I dread. I couldn't just sit around for six months.
And, I'm fortunate to have time to search.

This is (was) a family business. Heck, I went to grade and high school with the owners.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I'm not ready to go independent.
I've built fiberglass boats, sewn and installed convertible tops, reupolstered boats, sold cars, installed car stereos, had my own shop where I fixed TVs, radios and computers, and then, I fell into this.
Here, I do (did) all the upfitting (2way radios, power inverters, transfer tanks, strobe lights, headache racks, decals and logos), order all parts, service machinery and vehicles.

So, I'm not short on talent, skill, or drive...it's just the change I dread. I couldn't just sit around for six months.
And, I'm fortunate to have time to search.

This is (was) a family business. Heck, I went to grade and high school with the owners.
Maybe you can figure out how to take some of their better machines with you

Vetech63

One of my biggest fears is waking up one morning and having no job. My only option would be buying, fixing, and selling equipment..............or teaching at some vo-tech.

Old Doug

Security is always nice, and change is sometimes just a irrational fear of the unknown. The trick is to embrace the change, and look at it as opportunity, not adversity.

Best wishes on your job search, are you planted/rooted in your area, or wanting to move?
Thats something my Dad would have said . Out of all the jobs i have had the 2 that closed up were the ones i think i would have stayed at till i could retire.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've had only one full time job since age 13. I started too young, but never had a promotion. I worked for my father, officially became the "owner" in 1995. I expect I'd be in a bad way offering a resume to an employer.

I worry my body might play out before I'm ready to quit. I kick around ideas. Buying a truck, hauling asphalt is tempting.
Might be a logger somewhere wants a skidder operator.
I'd even like a go flipping houses.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Damn HMC sorry to hear that.

How is the job market in your area?
Are you well rooted where you live (family, friends, etc) or would you consider relocating?

Demand for field mechanics down here is always strong. A good field mechanic can name his price. An independent field service mechanic can have all the profitable work they want to take on.

Throughout life sometimes an event that seems catastrophic opens a door of opportunity one would not have thought of early. I know it sounds like a long winded fortune cookie fortune but I have had a few of those moments in my life.