• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

259D3 Fuel Pump in a non-D3

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
That is interesting. I wonder if it is causing my fuel leak error that the Cat is throwing. Unfortunately I did have a fuel contamination issue a couple years ago when my truck fueling tank lid was not put back correctly causing hay and debris to get into the tank.
I have flushed that tank and added screens inside the tank and to my cat tank.
I have tried to flush my cat tank several times, used biocides, but I still occasionally suck up some larger debris, so I still need something in front of the priming pump.
I wish I could get my cat tank out, but that is a major project that won’t happen till the engine has to come out, which I hope never happens ;).

heymccall

The "something in front of the priming pump" has been discussed many times on here. Throw that filter away and install a Napa 3972 inline SCREEN.

You can search "3972" on here for more sagas over debris from poor fueling practices.

Last edited:

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Don't know of any retrofit kits as such but Cat has upgraded this pump... Old p/n 416-5886 to new p/n 552-5534 pump.

Seem to be less issues with the new p/n... the 416-5884 replaceable plastic filter p/n stays the same.
Need to correct what I said here in post #2.

The OP was correct (and a few others in other threads), there is a Cat update that upgrades a D/D2 series transfer pump to the D3 style mentioned in this thread.

Was just at my local dealer and the Saturday parts lady was of no help, they had the old style pump in stock for around $200 but I think I would rather bite the bullet and upgrade now if I can confirm that it’s a simple retrofit, can anyone confirm this? Unfortunately I can’t find where I read about this months ago.
You'll need to ask her next time to look up a "Special Instruction" on that pump, and ask her to order you all the parts in the parts list of that procedure that relate to your serial number. That shouldn't be too hard.

Once all the parts are in front of you it takes less then an hour to swap everything over. Only three hoses to worry about. Note the new pump has the inlet/outlet ports reversed. Some machines get a new (smaller) coolant recovery tank to make it work, others don't, important you give the correct s/n.

This is the older style filter's air bleed valve as mentioned in heymccall's post above, it's on the dirty side of the filter and relies on the little separate filter attached to the lift pump to catch the mentioned "children, small dogs, & tree branches" that would otherwise block this orifice...
1690113174196.png
The D3 pumps have air bleed orifice on the clean side.

Before:
1690115081387.png

After:
1690115303997.png

Note this upgrade does away with the little filter attached to the old transfer pump. I thought that was silly, so I added in a little 100 micron 1G-7206 in-line filter to at least stop the tree branches. Same one fitted to all the other Cat skid steers and mini-HEXs. A nappa 3972 I'm sure would do the same thing.

Thought it was worth sharing.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The fuel transfer pump for the D3 is integral to the head of the fuel filter (left), and to add insult to injury it is not sold separately, only as part of the 525-3457 fuel filter assembly. On the face of it you would have to install the complete filter assembly from a D3 machine and also likely also have to modify the fuel lines (right). To me it seems more trouble than it's worth.

View attachment 247091View attachment 247092
I guess old is new. I swear I've seen that style of pump on the old B series skid steers.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
There's also a service magazine that makes this adaptable to many other CTL/MTL/SSL machines including D2's and early D3's fitted with the older style pump/filter.

One thing I didn't mention is there's a bolt hole that needs to be drilled in the machine frame. When comparing both coolant tanks you'll see what I mean. Just having the 3 bolts holding that coolant tank is enough IMHO. Find an appropriate drill bit, drive the bolt in with an impact gun. No thread taping required.

uglyguy

The fuel pump went out on my cat 299d2 around 1200 hours. I purchased thiis one on Ebay. The electric plug did not match up, however I just rewired it. The fuel filter that came with the pump, as shown also did not fit the pump. So i installed the Frame inline fuel filter as shown in the post above. It works fine, and I figured if the cat pump went out within 1200 hrs, then I can't buy much worse than the cat brand.pump.JPG