• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

257b thoughts

maddog

Well I've got another question, earlier I asked about an older ASV model. Now I'd like input on the cat 257B model. Is the 257b a decent machine, I have seen some discussion about how they're worthless dogs? I know this is a louded question kind of like ford vurses chevy. If there is a substantial reason as to why they are dogs please explain? How do they stand up to hours of work? When looking at a used 257B is there anything special that I need to pay attention too? Thanks for any info.

Digdeep

So much depends on what you're going to do with it, e.g. concrete work, landscaping, primary excavation, etc. Are you the sole operator, or will you have others run it? Do you perform routine preventive maintenance, or do you run it until something breaks? It's not my favorite machine, nor was the Bobcat T190, but they have sold lots and lots of both models, and they still sell them by the bunches. this means that there's still plenty of happy operators. it all depends on how well it's already been maintained, and by how you operate it yourself and maintain it.

heavylift

I prefer the 247, the machines use the same engine. The 247 is faster than the 257. The 247 is lighter than the 257.

I ran a 247 for several years, a single operator in the seat greatly improves track life. I used it on all surfaces, even did some rip rap. The spin in place is an absolute killer of tracks. I like the grouser type better than the bigger pads.

I put about 1900 hours on the first set of tracks, the replacements were 1100 hours due to the fact that they started letting everyone use the machine.

eric12

theyre nice machines to run, and work on. theyre smooth and pretty quick, id take one over a lot of other tracked skid steers. however the under carriage is costly... if you are doing dirt work and not running over a lot of stone or demolition debris the tracks should last you a while. if you are the only operator and keep from digging into a pile allowing dirt or stone to get into the boogie wheels the bearings will last a while, but if a handful of people operate it and dont keep the tracks clean/ out of stone piles then the wheels will get chewed up and the bearings will go bad. either way youll end up having to replace bearings, wheels, and tracks and theres a special tool that makes life a lot easier id recommend buying that. the service and parts side of the machine- its way easier and nicer to work on than lets say a john deere, tak, gehl, or new holland. theres plenty of room to work on it and parts are easy to get. that all being said the undercarriage will cost you around $8 per hour in parts especially if you arent careful, but thats with any CTL for the most part. you might look at a 247, ive heard that those and the 287 i believe or what ever other radial arm one cat makes are easier on the undercarriage because the lifting weight is more centered on the machine and the rear boogie wheel doesnt take as much of a beating from the extra weight.

hope that helps, but if you can get one for a decent price and the undercarriage is in good shape it should treat you well

heavylift

Also get a wider bucket. 6" wider than the tracks, this keeps the tracks 3" away from the edge. This will keep the tracks away from building, edges of concrete and other obstacles. Sharp edges that tear tracks.
The best thing to clean the tracks with is about a 4' long piece of 3/4" pipe, flattened on the end with a slight bend in the end. It will also store in the door sticking out the top, slightly.

maddog

Thanks for all the comments I went and looked at a couple of them on saturday. The owner was not around but I was able to look them over, seem like decent machines, now I'm just waiting to find out what type of deal they'll offer(?????). I'll be the only operator and it should have a fairly easy life. Should allmost never see cemment/pavement, so I would think that would help with track life. Thanks again folks

maddog

What type of oils should I use? I figure 15-40 for engine, but not sure what the hydraulics take or the motors? Is their a free manual upload out there in internet land that I could use for info? Thanks again folks

heavylift

I think there is a chart on the back door, It may have info on the type of oil. I know it show zerks location and other fill points. Just never really looked to see what to use. The shop just has bulk oil, I just fill a jug and go.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall the 247 is a radial lift machine and the 257 is a vertical lift machine. Is that correct?

maddog

I believe you are correct John C. I haven't really checked into the 247b but I do know the 257B I'm getting is a vertical lift, should be a nice feature :)

maddog

Hey again folks, machine was delivered today, runs like a top. BUT there were no manuals with it. Is there any place to upload manuals? I'm mostly concerned with operating, not sure what all the switches are. I'm not new to machines just new to cat and this one

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Oh lordy ........... no manuals. Did the seller say why there was no manual with it..?

Not sure if the manuals are available in pdf anywhere, but if you give me the Serial Number prefix (SLKxxxxx or B7Hxxxxx) I can tell you what Cat document reference you'll need. Side note - if your machine is SLK-prefix then tell me if the serial number is above or below 7300. The manuals are different for the 2 ranges of Serial Number.

maddog

Thanks Nige the number I found is cat 0257BKSLK05169, hope this is what you need? I found my oil filters and can handle the mechanical work but it'd be nice too know as much as possible about how everything is suppose to work.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Your machine is SLK prefix with Serial Number under 7300, as I mentioned above. The Cat publication reference for the Operation & Maintenance Manual that applies to your machine is SEBU7732. Your local friendly Cat dealer should be able to supply one, although if you go that route I'd suggest you give them the Serial Number and let them tell you what the reference should be. It's a bit of a double check on them if you do it that way. The manual should be available either on paper or as a CD.

I'm always suspicious of used machines being sold without the O&M Manual. It makes you wonder how people referenced information during its former life if it wasn't in the pocket behind the seat .........

maddog

Thanks Nige, I'm suspicious of ALL used machines :). I've only run this for about 40min or so, so I don't know it yet. I am in the process of going through it, oil changes, checking all hoses, looking for leaks, checking nutz and bolts, and so on. It does seem to be in decent shape only has 1300+hrs. I did find one little problem right from the beganing but have allready fixed that, a loose connection for the hand throttle located by the foot petal. I appreciate your info, thanks again

gabelmatt

Occupation
Mini Excavator Owner/Operator
I owned a 257B for 2 and a half years and it was a pretty good machine. The weak point on them is the idler wheels on the under carriage. If your using something heavy on the front mine seemed to wreck bearings all the time. The only other problem I had was the head gasket. But there was a recall on them for that (atleast in Ontario) so Cat replaced it for free. Other than that there pretty good machine as long as you look after them.

maddog

Good to know Gabelmatt. The idler wheels are showing some wear, but still have some life left, they don't seem all that bad to work on, quess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.