• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

200clc loss of power

Delmer

Thanks for the info. So far, here is what has been done to the machine.
1. Replaced injector pump
2. Replaced lift pump and thoroughly cleaned all fuel lines.
3 . Bypassed fuel cooler as there seemed to be some air getting into second fuel filter.
4. Checked tank for any debris, was perfectly clean
5. Had all injectors checked, all were fine.
6. Changed all fuel filters.
*Were not done in the order listed

. It does seem to be that the longer the machine sits still, the longer it will operate normally before wanting to die.

When did all of this get done? What about the computer? It would sure be nice to have another machine to swap computers with for something like this. The last sentence "the longer the machine sits still, the longer it will operate normally" sounds like a failing electronic problem to me.

NathanSkallerup

That's what I was very afraid of too. And it's all been done in the past 48 hours. So it's all fresh fixes. And trust me, I know. I really don't want to spend the money for a computer that turns out I didn't need. But hey, I'm into it this feel already right? Lol. Maybe then I could rent it out to others for diagnostic purposes as well. I did unhook the batteries before I left the machine tonight. So I'll see if anything has happened to reset itself when I'm back in the morning. Hope is all I have to go in right now

Delmer

There is a guy on here who specializes in electronics repair if you were interested in saving money at the expense of time, probably not in this case. I have no idea what the "computer" consists of in this case, just a thought.

I can never find the user when I think of him, something like milarue, but that doesn't come up with anything. edit: not that guy, rmlarue is somebody else

NathanSkallerup

Yeah. I just don't know though. It it was the computer I wouldn't understand why it only ever caused problems when operating the Hydraulics. It never even sputters or misses a single beat if you just let it sit there. I would think if it was a computer issue it would happen at least I've in a while with no load on at all

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
IF it runs perfectly fine w/ no load or any hydro use.. & dies as soon as any hydros are used.. its a hydro problem.. loading the engine to the point it shuts off..
A stuck relief valve somewhere.. building pressure..
By some sort of dumb luck, did you happen to unhook or hook up any lines lately.. & possibly got them backwards??

terex herder

I'm with TPG. Your engine is fine. The fact the fuel pressure drops as the engine loads up and starts to stall suggests the engine is drinking full fuel.

How does the unit behave if you go full boom up? No feathering the controls, just hard up. IIRC, boom uses both pumps, where all other functions use either one or the other pump. I'm wondering if both pumps stroke full, while only one pump's functions are passing oil. That would deadhead the unused pump, possibly causing the problem you describe.

NathanSkallerup

It does have the issue with full boom up, but I really don't think it's in the pumps, because if the split pumps. Mainly because it doesn't matter which function im using. It will do it with any and all function at different times. If it's a hydraulic issue, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would have to be a oil supply issue because it's effecting all of the functions right?

NathanSkallerup

And also no, the last lines I had off of this machine was a line up on the boom for the hydraulic thumb that blew ito, and that was around a month before this issue appeared. With a couple hundred hours on the machine since then

NathanSkallerup

Update, the machine had started to have issue at high idle with no hydraulic load what do ever. It even bugged to the point it killed itself when I wasnt even in the machine

terex herder

I would sure like to see a video of the exhaust while the engine is misbehaving, along with good audio. The sound of an engine starving for fuel is quite different from one being lugged so hard it dies.

NathanSkallerup

To me, from past experience, it sounds like starving for fuel, that's why I was working in the fuel system before looking at hydraulics. I'm 90% confident it's a fuel issue. Just don't know what else would he causing the fuel issue.

Delmer

If it's the hydraulic pumps and not the engine low on power, then the hydraulic pressure has to be higher than the spec, or the efficiency has to be shot so that the pump is "dragging". The engine is designed to handle the volume that the pumps are capable of to move the biggest cylinder with no load. In my mind, if you activate boom in, stick in, bucket curl and swing all at the same time, then there is no way that the pressure is higher than spec, and it has to be a low engine power issue, or visible trash showing up in the hydraulic filter from a failing hydraulic pump.

One thing that may help diagnose this is if it still runs fine for a few minutes after sitting. That's something to see what changes, the hydraulic pressure, the fuel pressure, air in the fuel return, turbo boost pressure. I'd bet one of those things changes from when it's running fine to when it stalls. The tough part is getting the measurement at the same RPM when the engine won't stay running with any load. you want to see if the fuel pressure drops before the RPM, or the turbo boost doesn't build with the load like it does when cold, or air bubbles show up in the fuel return, or something like that.

NathanSkallerup

I agree with you. Very hard to get those readings when it doesn't run correctly. Especially when it's just me working on it. Hard to run a machine and be watching the engine compartment at the same time

NathanSkallerup

If it's the hydraulic pumps and not the engine low on power, then the hydraulic pressure has to be higher than the spec, or the efficiency has to be shot so that the pump is "dragging". The engine is designed to handle the volume that the pumps are capable of to move the biggest cylinder with no load. In my mind, if you activate boom in, stick in, bucket curl and swing all at the same time, then there is no way that the pressure is higher than spec, and it has to be a low engine power issue, or visible trash showing up in the hydraulic filter from a failing hydraulic pump.

One thing that may help diagnose this is if it still runs fine for a few minutes after sitting. That's something to see what changes, the hydraulic pressure, the fuel pressure, air in the fuel return, turbo boost pressure. I'd bet one of those things changes from when it's running fine to when it stalls. The tough part is getting the measurement at the same RPM when the engine won't stay running with any load. you want to see if the fuel pressure drops before the RPM, or the turbo boost doesn't build with the load like it does when cold, or air bubbles show up in the fuel return, or something like that.
Where are you from in WI delmer? You don't happen to be close to the la Crosse area do you?

Delmer

not too far at all. But I'm no expert on excavators, or computer controlled injection pumps.

Close enough to dump a body, but far enough to think you'll get away with it, if you watch the news tonight.

NathanSkallerup

Well you seem to have a bit better idea then I do. Lol. I'm just gonna try a few of these small suggestions today. Otherwise I'm ready to give up

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Hey I know I'm late to the party and I'm not familiar with this machine but is that engine turbocharged do you still have Boost
How about running the machine off an alternate source of fuel like a 5-gallon jug have you tried that yet have you checked your tank breather filter is your fuel caps on securely is your fuel cap vented.
Just a couple of things I thought might be worth looking into
Are your air cleaners plug is your air intake piping in good order do you have any boost leaks

NathanSkallerup

Don't feel bad, you are still early to this party because I'm no closer to having it running right then I was when I first posted. I am getting good venting in the fuel system, no vacuum or pressure when opening the cap after running. No boost leaks, still running good boost pressure, it seems a little low to me when the machine starts to act up, but I truly believe that can be attributed to the fact that the engine itself is getting shorted on fuel so it can't create the busyb when short on fuel. I think I have it down to an electrical problem though, as I am running good flow and correct pressure to the injection pump. And the injection pump is brand new, and the symptoms didn't change when the injection pump was changed. Add in the fact that everything has to get hot before the machine acts up, it's seeming more and more like electrical issues somewhere

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You could very well be onto something when you said the engine runs for a little while and then starts acting up it could be that your electrical system is going into closed loop and now looking at all sensors for input.
Do you have any method of seeing what the computer sees as far as boost coolant temperature intake air temperature at cetera

NathanSkallerup

No I don't. I wish I knew someone besides Deere who had the software. They want like 1000 bucks just to come out and plug it in. Seems a little excessive to me. I was just told to wrap the commuter in plastic and stuff it into a cooler of Ice while running the machine, and if it didn't act up I know the computer is overheating and causing the issues. Seems like a risky way to diagnose electronics. But maybe withw a shot at this point