• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 Western Star

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
Looking to pickup a new to us tandem and came across an Alberta truck that's made it to Ontario.

It's a 96 western star tandem with a 475 hp Cat 3406e, 15spd eaton, 46k rears, 12k front, single wall frame and a 16.5ft box.

On paper this would work nicely for me. Would be legal for 15-16 tons, and should have lots of power to tow a float.

Engine has just under 1.3 million kms, but claims to have been inframed and rear end work at just under a million, by the previous owner.

Seller is asking 16k CAD (11.5k USD)
Anyone got any insight on this? Are there any specific things to look for on this engine/trans?

Tags

Don't know anything about the engine or trans, but I do think that 12000lbs is a bit light for a front end. Sounds like a tractor that was converted to a dump, which is done all the time. Probably fine if it lives on the road, not sure how it would be if you were off-roading it a lot. Does it have air or spring suspension?

Tags

I don't really know enough about trucks to tell for sure, but it seems awfully long to have been a tractor. I know a lot of paving contractors near me will spec a truck as light as possible so they can haul more tonnage of asphalt, I don't know where the line is between weight and durability though. I have a 2008 Volvo 10 wheeler that has a 22000 lb front and 44 full locking rears, single heavy frame, with spring suspension, and a 15 foot body, I go off-roading all the time and it handles it well. The truck you're looking at looks like it has been well-maintained in the pictures, doesn't look like it has a lot of rust, but it's always hard to tell from the pictures. I am positive guys with more truck knowledge will chime in on this subject sooner than later…

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Don't know anything about the engine or trans, but I do think that 12000lbs is a bit light for a front end. Sounds like a tractor that was converted to a dump, which is done all the time. Probably fine if it lives on the road, not sure how it would be if you were off-roading it a lot. Does it have air or spring suspension?
It was, take look at how big those fuel tanks are. I would say it's too light on the front axle too, when loaded you are going to feel it when it hits the frame on some grade difference bumps or holes.

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
Seems like it's worth a test drive then.

Anyone know if it's possible to remove the second fuel tank? We've got fuel at the yard, and I can't see needing much more than 500km of range in a day.

Truck Shop

In the one photo it shows a inner frame liner, and the stack guards are a little tall for a factory day cab. I would tend that the frame was lengthened and the Hendrickson suspension was installed.
Normally there is no need for a liner with Hendrickson. As far as fuel tanks Western Star used those as standard equipment on various models. Cat likes to see a 3406E/C15 with at least one 100
gallon tank so the fuel will cool down from return.

crane operator

In the states, very few road trucks would have 46k rears and hendrickson, but like truck shop says, the hendrickson and heavy rears may have been added. Is your "landscaping" equipment going to be large enough to load it? That looks like a pretty tall sided box on it, which can be a problem for some skid loaders and mini ex's.

I like the 15 speed also for a dump, it gives you a nice low gear for starting out of a hole. Should pull a pintle real nice with the big cat.

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
In the states, very few road trucks would have 46k rears and hendrickson, but like truck shop says, the hendrickson and heavy rears may have been added. Is your "landscaping" equipment going to be large enough to load it? That looks like a pretty tall sided box on it, which can be a problem for some skid loaders and mini ex's.

I like the 15 speed also for a dump, it gives you a nice low gear for starting out of a hole. Should pull a pintle real nice with the big cat.

Loading truck with our equipment shouldn't be a problem, we've got high dump buckets on our ctl that we load hired triaxles with currently. Sides are about the same.

That said, the box sides are a bit tall for what the truck can legally haul in dirt or gravel. Paper napkin math puts it at a 20 yard box...which is wonderful for something like grain or sawdust...I could probably cut a foot off the sides pretty easily. Save some weight and make it easier to load.

AzIron

For the price range I dont think you could go wrong 3406 is a very stout engine the only thing I have seen kill them is stupidity or turning up the power above reasonable and burning them down

I have a 95 kw with a 3406e and a 15 speed and it's in the top three best trucks I have ever ran

The benefit of a 15 speed is you get some deep gears for working loaded but you dont sacrifice a reasonable highway speed

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've seen quite a few older trucks with the insert and Hendrickson. None stretched. Both my dad's '78 W900 and my '80 W900 were like that from factory.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Here in NB, you could only scale about 12 tonne with that front end. Hard to get a close up of the frame, but you can see the holes ahead of the front housing. So air ride or the hendrickson was slid back. Here, that front axle, and that big Cat plus the tractor protection package would be a sign of a tractor, but no sign of any fifth wheel ever being mounted on the frame though. Western Star is king here in the woods. Our float truck and a couple of dump trailer haulers are Western Steer. I think for that price it's worth a look. We have 2000 with an N14 Cummins and an 18 speed. It was a tractor but it was upset, so the bunk was cut off and they put a strait box on it. Can't haul much legally, but it is fun to drive with that big motor.

Truck Shop

That center crossmember between the spring hangers is not a standard Hendrickson, Stars used Neway air ride because of that it's the easiest to install Hendrickson walking beam on.
Because Neway used the same axle housing hangers as Hendrickson, just install the beams to the same hangers.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
That center crossmember between the spring hangers is not a standard Hendrickson, Stars used Neway air ride because of that it's the easiest to install Hendrickson walking beam on.
Because Neway used the same axle housing hangers as Hendrickson, just install the beams to the same hangers.
Those bolt holes in the frame ahead of both housings make me agree with you

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Did you buy it? says it's no longer available. We just bought a 2016 M series freightliner. Tandem, set back front axle. It has a roll off deck, like the ones that move dumpsters. It came with a flat deck, and a dump box like the ones Del makes for the one tons, with the fold down sides. It also has a pintel hitch for a tag along float, as well as a reese hitch receiver so it could haul the tri axle our f 550 hauls. Originally they were going to lose the roll off and put a regular gravel box on it. It was decided to leave it for moving equipment, and working with the bobcat crew. One thing about it that makes me want to try it, is that it is an automatic. I know they are out there, but I have never tried one, and think it would be strange to drive.

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
Went and looked at it. Didn't buy it. Pictures were very selectively taken.

Hoist was leaking like crazy, took forever to build air, had multiple air leaks. Engine was leaking oil pretty badly from the head, hood cracked in 4 places, doors did not open and shut properly. Waste gate was wired shut, exhaust broken in 3 places, and bent to hell at the top. Frame at the liner/insert was crunchy rusty, and had been ground down and air hammered flat again. Also wasn't a 475hp like he claimed. Suspension also would have needed every bushing replaced...since there was barely any rubber left in any of the bushings.

Whoever guessed it was a converted tractor was right though. Guy claimed the previous owner converted it.

All in all, truck looked good from far, but was far from good sadly.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Went and looked at it. Didn't buy it. Pictures were very selectively taken.

Hoist was leaking like crazy, took forever to build air, had multiple air leaks. Engine was leaking oil pretty badly from the head, hood cracked in 4 places, doors did not open and shut properly. Waste gate was wired shut, exhaust broken in 3 places, and bent to hell at the top. Frame at the liner/insert was crunchy rusty, and had been ground down and air hammered flat again. Also wasn't a 475hp like he claimed. Suspension also would have needed every bushing replaced...since there was barely any rubber left in any of the bushings.

Whoever guessed it was a converted tractor was right though. Guy claimed the previous owner converted it.

All in all, truck looked good from far, but was far from good sadly.
Too bad. I'm not up on my Cats after 425, is the 475 the one that has the twin turbos?