• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 Western Star

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
Test drove this 2000 Volvo WG64. 300hp with a 13 speed.20k front, 40k rears. only 430km, but it's air ride...not my first choice, but it's in great shape. Not like I'm gonna be doing much off-roading.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 53

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The old man had a '97 like that. Deep cab like that one too. Very tough trucks. Neway's a pretty decent air ride. I'd take it over any other air ride brand.

crane operator

Would a 60" spread be better or worse for traction in a air ride set up? I've got a big spread on one of the cranes, but its a walking beam so that just means a lot of travel while still keeping the rubber on the ground. Wouldn't a bigger spread in a air ride be worse for traction, rather than having the axles closer together? That the bags can't travel as far, so its easier to spin a tire?

I know that there's a lot of big spread axles used in canada and out west, I've just never been around a air ride one.

Truck Shop

The 60" spread on air ride tends to have better traction. We had four Pete's with 60" Air Track they didn't ride as well but the drivers that were in them wouldn't trade out because those
trucks were more stable in winter conditions.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Only time I have ever had an issue spinning with air ride, is if you dump, and don't dump your bags first. I don't know if it's because they all become fully extended or what. All our tandems with air are set up to dump the suspension when you open the tailgate. The dumptrailers are that way as well. I notice a lot of guys don't dump the suspension on the tractor, and you see them spinning. I always drop the suspension. Even when I drop the float to unhook the gooseneck. I am not sure where guys hear stuff. Was told I shouldn't drop the bags when I'm loaded, Well I'm going to be empty in 20 seconds. Another favorite is I don't like to lock my power divider in because it's hard on the driveline. What???? I was taught by a mechanic that as soon as I leave the pavement that locking the power divider is easier on your axles, because you are dividing the power between two axles instead of a front or a back. Oh anyway back on topic. We had a couple Volvo trucks, and they were pretty solid

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Only time I have ever had an issue spinning with air ride, is if you dump, and don't dump your bags first. I don't know if it's because they all become fully extended or what. All our tandems with air are set up to dump the suspension when you open the tailgate. The dumptrailers are that way as well. I notice a lot of guys don't dump the suspension on the tractor, and you see them spinning. I always drop the suspension. Even when I drop the float to unhook the gooseneck. I am not sure where guys hear stuff. Was told I shouldn't drop the bags when I'm loaded, Well I'm going to be empty in 20 seconds. Another favorite is I don't like to lock my power divider in because it's hard on the driveline. What???? I was taught by a mechanic that as soon as I leave the pavement that locking the power divider is easier on your axles, because you are dividing the power between two axles instead of a front or a back. Oh anyway back on topic. We had a couple Volvo trucks, and they were pretty solid

A lot of drivers have zero clue. The best one is that the front/rear does all the driving and the power divider engages the 2nd axle. No idea who comes up with these strange ideas.

suladas

If you're primarily using the truck for yourself and loading with smaller equipment, the air ride is a huge help for loading. I'm also lazy and I love it for unhooking/hooking up trailer, no cranking the jack.

The Volvo seems alright, it's no Western Star though! :p

I couldn't be happier with my 92. Except for riding like a lumber wagon it's great, made much much worse by our absolute joke for what passes as a road here.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
A lot of drivers have zero clue. The best one is that the front/rear does all the driving and the power divider engages the 2nd axle. No idea who comes up with these strange ideas.
My understanding has always been that all 4 axles pull, but one axle, front or back can break traction and spin. When you engage the power divider lock, all axles pull, but in poor traction, one front, and one rear must break traction together, but still allowing your front and rear differentials to do their job in corners. Some of our trucks have the full lockup where you can choose between front or rear full lock or both.

Truck Shop

The inter lock-locks the front drive, on locker type it locks both sides on one drive axle . Only one drive axle does the work that's why the drive tires on the right rear are always worn more
than the rest. You put air to the front drive on inter- lock with Eaton or Rockwell or Daimler drive axles. On International drive axles it is the opposite, those use air to keep them unlocked.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The inter lock-locks the front drive, on locker type it locks both sides on one drive axle . Only one drive axle does the work that's why the drive tires on the right rear are always worn more
than the rest. You put air to the front drive on inter- lock with Eaton or Rockwell or Daimler drive axles. On International drive axles it is the opposite, those use air to keep them unlocked.
But don't both axles pull, even in a car, until you enter a situation that causes your spider gears to allow the power to one side, like turning or spinning? When I say axle, I mean right and left side, as apposed to front and rear housings. We have a Peterbilt with eaton rearends. It always spins one front wheel, never a rear, unless you lock the divider. It has no lockup front or rear. The other trucks with rockwell rears, will spin one front, or one rear unless you lock the divider. Is that the design of the eaton over the rockwell. The internationals will also perform the same as the rockwell, spinning a front or a rear. I have wondered why international went the opposite way with the air. 4 wheel park brake with only maxis pots on the front housing? I have driven a few old macks with no switch, and they had those peanuts to engage by themselves

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Really your interaxle is a diff for the diffs. Its a balance act between all 4 wheel ends. One loses traction, the other 3 still receive the same amount of torque but now its equal to what it takes to slip the wheel losing traction. When you lock the interaxle in, there is no differential action between the 2 drive axles.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Really your interaxle is a diff for the diffs. Its a balance act between all 4 wheel ends. One loses traction, the other 3 still receive the same amount of torque but now its equal to what it takes to slip the wheel losing traction. When you lock the interaxle in, there is no differential action between the 2 drive axles.

This^^^ In theory all 4 corners should pull an equal load with the inter-axle diff unlocked if they all have equal traction. I have seen some that would spin a front wheel every time before the interlock was thrown in... Usually those had a Detroit locker in the rear diff. Automatic self locker. Makes a huge difference in most trucks that work off road.
I've also seen disparities in tire wear between the two drive axles. Some wore the front first, some the rear first. I think that's more about wheelbase and suspension choices. Worked on a fleet of short Volvos with 4 spring that always wore the rear drivers down first. They had some longer tractors with 4 bag air leaf type that wore the front drives first. All those trucks had self lockers in the rear. Oh, another consideration, the long tractors had lift axles too.

Truck Shop

The front differential has a power divider/compensater with interlock and can have a locker. Power runs through the input to the bull gear and pinion and the through shaft to the back drive axle.
And yes both axles can spin without the interlock, but because the power runs straight through the front drive the rear axle takes the brunt. It has to do with the straightest path for torque flow.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
But don't both axles pull, even in a car, until you enter a situation that causes your spider gears to allow the power to one side, like turning or spinning? When I say axle, I mean right and left side, as apposed to front and rear housings. We have a Peterbilt with eaton rearends. It always spins one front wheel, never a rear, unless you lock the divider. It has no lockup front or rear. The other trucks with rockwell rears, will spin one front, or one rear unless you lock the divider. Is that the design of the eaton over the rockwell. The internationals will also perform the same as the rockwell, spinning a front or a rear. I have wondered why international went the opposite way with the air. 4 wheel park brake with only maxis pots on the front housing? I have driven a few old macks with no switch, and they had those peanuts to engage by themselves

4 wheel park brakes is exactly why IH did that. The PP valve for the spring brakes also fed the interlock valve. Set the park brake and it locked the inter axle diff.

Truck Shop

Correcto on the 4 wheel park brakes.

One other note--tires normally wear on the left front drive and the right rear drive, the right rear more than the rest. And the reason for that if one looks at which side has the long axle and which
side the ring gear/ pinion relation/ direction is. The side with the long axle will always torque load that side gear first because of it's relationship with ring gear rotation and torque load. Factoid.