• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1986 International S1900 DT466 Eaton 5 speed stuck in first gear.

JThomas7

will do. I got the tranny from a local guy who bought a bunch of international school buses to use for storage.

hetkind

cool beans, I once swapped a four speed from a early 70's S1600 with the 345 motor into a older Travelall, everything line up, we just had to fabricate a drive shaft adapter!

JThomas7

I've already bought everything and I guess I'm stuck with trying to make it work regardles but.....

Now a buddy has me all worried about making the PTO work. Transmission DOES have the pto gear, I didn't know some didn't but after him telling me I made sure to check. However he doesn't think I can use a cable actuated PTO like the chelsea I have off of my clark manual. Doesn't do me much good to get this truck running and driving and not be able to spin my pump.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I really like a Allison tranny, but I hope you didn't get a AT 545. They have a high first gear and no lockup in direct gear, feels like you have a rubber band for a drive shaft. I hope you got a MT 653 or a 643, those are real trannys!
As far as a PTO, it takes a specific unit with a external lube line to it. Usually the trannys have a PTO ring in them, but I have seen a couple without them, usually from buses, must be a penny pinching thing.

lantraxco

I've already bought everything and I guess I'm stuck with trying to make it work regardles but.....

Now a buddy has me all worried about making the PTO work. Transmission DOES have the pto gear, I didn't know some didn't but after him telling me I made sure to check. However he doesn't think I can use a cable actuated PTO like the chelsea I have off of my clark manual. Doesn't do me much good to get this truck running and driving and not be able to spin my pump.

Depends on what model you got. We had a Ford dump truck with an Allison, standard PTO that had the correct mating gear, lever and linkage to engage, you had to put the tranny in gear and stop the truck, foot on the brake, so you could engage it. Had a driveline between the PTO and the pump, if you forgot to take it out of gear and pulled away, the second or third shift whatever drove the PTO changed speeds and it would throw the driveline off and smash the transmission oil pan EVERY time. I know, I did it once myself.