• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1986 International S1900 DT466 Eaton 5 speed stuck in first gear.

JThomas7

I was running my water truck the other day and when I went to shift from first to 2nd something went. I'm no transmission guru but I'm fairly competent at working on things. Symptoms are a truck that is stuck in first gear even when in Neutral. When placed in to other gears it stalls out.

Things I've checked.

I pulled the shifter mechanism to make sure it did not jump out of its slot, unfortunately that was not the problem.
I've pulled the transmission and pulled the top plate, I thought that maybe the fork jumped out of the selector "wheel", it did not.

Both the input shaft and output shaft bearing has slack and needs replaced and I've started sourcing these parts. I haven't pulled the output shaft out yet and haven't exactly figured out why it's stuck in first. With the input shaft in and the rear selector wheel in the middle spot the output shaft is turning, with it moved back to the 1st gear position it's turning, when I move it into the reverse position it locks up as if both gears are selected. I don't know enough about what I'm looking at to see where the issue is.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Shimmy1

First things first. Transmission model and serial? Sounds like something has locked the first gear to the output shaft. Did the shift collar shear off and half of it is still stuck in the gear locking it to the output shaft?? How do the teeth on the shift collar look? Did a cog break off and jam the gear to the output shaft?

JThomas7

Shimmy the crazy thing is it has what I see to be all eaton fuller parts, but the tag on the side of it is not original and appears to be from someone who rebuilt it before that says "390V" from my research that shows to be a clark. So I'm having somewhat of a hard time identifying it. Just looking at pictures it looks like a 4205 eaton. I don't know if this helps but the part # for the input shaft is 235648. I will take a better look at it tomorrow when I have some daylight and get some pictures as well. I really do thank you for taking the time to respond.

Shimmy1

No prob. Get some pics up and someone will be able to tell you what it is. I'm familiar with transmissions, but not necessarily particular models.

Delmer

Fuller ate Clark, Eaton ate Fuller, I think?

First isn't synchronized on that, is it? Probably doesn't matter. So the fork is in it's slot, if you can see that the "selector wheel" is sliding then the gear is locked to the shaft like Shimmy said. Is the fork loose on the shift "rail"? and not moving the shift collar/selector wheel? I'd be looking at a used transmission before I tore into it though, that's a common and cheap transmission. Unless you've ever wanted a seven speed?

Truck Shop

Fuller ate Clark, Eaton ate Fuller, I think?

First isn't synchronized on that, is it? Probably doesn't matter. So the fork is in it's slot, if you can see that the "selector wheel" is sliding then the gear is locked to the shaft like Shimmy said. Is the fork loose on the shift "rail"? and not moving the shift collar/selector wheel? I'd be looking at a used transmission before I tore into it though, that's a common and cheap transmission. Unless you've ever wanted a seven speed?

Your correct on who had who for dinner! And parts out where I'm at are not cheap for those transmissions- I agree, I would look for a take out.

Shimmy1

Now if I can only figure out how to attach pics from my phone.
Android or IPhone? I'm sure it's similar. Hit the "Go Advanced" tab, then "Manage Attachments". My screen brings up "Add files" over on the right side, close to the top. Click that, then "Choose File". You should be able to figure it out from there.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Myself, I would toss the 5spd and go with a 6610 Roadranger. You will have a lot more gear options if you are running a pump off a transmission mounted PTO.

JThomas7

go advanced only brings up additional options of automatically parse links, subcription, and rate thread.

I'm on Android.

JThomas7

I'm not spending thousands on a truck I bought for $2050 at an auction 5 years ago. I've tried to find a direct replacement at big truck salvage yards but no luck. I have no interest in rigging up coolers, shift kits (I can find auto transmissions cheap), finding a new pto, dealing with custom drive shafts etc. I'm guessing I will have to end up buying another used truck, I've seen hundreds of them over the years for next to nothing but just never needed them. I've had 0 problems out of my 2 DT466 water trucks until this.

Last edited:

JThomas7

trannyinner2.jpg

my problem is somewhere in here, once I get the parking brake off I'm hoping I can get the shaft out and it shows itself pretty easily. The back gear (1st?) is trying to spin no matter where the selector is.

JThomas7

Slide that selector back, 1st gear>
Slide selector into the middle, 1st gear.
Slide selector forward, shaft locks up.

lantraxco

That front gear is reverse yeah? Looks like the first gear is seized to the shaft, maybe the needle rollers decided to have an orgy and welded themselves all together?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That front gear is reverse yeah? Looks like the first gear is seized to the shaft, maybe the needle rollers decided to have an orgy and welded themselves all together?

Kind of what I was thinking. Its pretty much scrap minus the case and countershaft.

JThomas7

Anyone know anything about the Gas engine Internationals? Mines an S1900 DT466 diesel.
I've found this about 10 miles from my house and it runs and drives. If I could rob the tranny, I could also use a spare hood, and wouldn't mind having the 2 speed rear end as a spare.

Just not sure if the tranny is going to be the same on the input side.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5368881337.html

Last edited:

mitch504

You'd need more details than what's in that ad to know. Could be one of several engines and one of several transmissions.

On the other hand, if you contact that guy, report back if you get any idea what he was trying to make by cutting a refrigerated body down.
A pickup look-a-like, maybe. :beatsme ;)

JThomas7

Well I needed this truck moving and really had a hard time finding another 5 speed for it. I ended up buying an allison with the flywheel, cooler & lines, shifter kit, and he changed the yolk on my driveshaft for me for $600

Hoping to get it put in this weekend.

hetkind

That sounds like a good deal, let us know how the install goes and if it needs additional drive shaft work or different clutch splines.

Howard