• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 komatsu PC200LC

big builder

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the engine and pump specifications for a 1985 ( around) PC 200 LC. I am considering removing and engine andpump for another project to try and use as a self contained hydraulic power pack. I am concerned about the number of hoses that come in and out of the pump though?

Thank you

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You really need to identify whether the machine is a Dash 1, Dash 2, Dash 3 or Dash 5.

The Dash 1 and 2 models were not load sensing and used a rudimentary control system that was pressure compensated to keep from overloading the engine. It used open center negative control system to destroke the pumps when there was nothing being operated. There were three connections per pump unit as I recall on these units. Suction, output and stroke/compensation was the small hose. The pilot pump was separate from the main pumps and the main pumps were separate from each other and all were driven by a multi-drive gear train. You could make this work with a little thought and maybe some finagling of the negative control to stroke up the pump.

The Dash 3 and 5 systems were open center load sensing and would require the Komatsu excavator control valve to make the pump work right. These are tandem pumps with the pilot pump bolted to the back and there are four small hoses from the valve to work the load sensing, cutouts and negative flow controls for each main pump. There was a single suction for both pumps and a single output hose for each pump. On the excavator there was also snubber hoses teed to the output hoses to suppress shock loading. Using one of these systems for an auxiliary power unit would be like killing an ant with an atom bomb.

As I recall you got thirty gallons of oil a minute just before the cutouts started backing down the flow at around 3,200 PSI and the systems ran at 4,500 PSI. You could run a whole lot of systems with this.

big builder

John.

Thank you for the excellent effort on the reply. Greatly appreciated.

I have access to the complete machine and it is complete but has been sitting for years. I am considering removing the engine and pump as a unit
but I should heed your advice on which model it is. Seems like it may be more work that I originally thought.

We need alot of hydraulic power for our project so don't think it will be overkill.

The only other concern of course is that I don't really know the condition of the engine and pump other than it was running when parked. Cab is vandilized now and some one has cut coolant hose and let all the antifreeze out.

big builder

John,

I havn't had a chance to look over the machine yet. But I thought I would jusst ask your opinion about turning the old machine into a hydraulic power unit.

I need to self contained diesel power unit with at least this power and flow but I don't want to spend month thrying to figure out how to get it too work when I could spend more money and buy one. When I first though about units this unit I thought ( niavely ) that I could just cut it out use the existing tanks and voila! Not the case of course.

John C.

Occupation
How many functions do you need to drive and what kind of speed in each do you need? I don't suppose it would be real hard to get the valve and cap off the ports you don't need. As I recall there are five spools on one side and four on the other of the Dash 3 and 5 machines. The Dash 1 and 2 machines I think had two valve banks for implements and a third bank for swing and travel.

You would have to rig up a pilot system to run the spools and a bypass on the TVC solenoid to run the 3 and 5 systems. I think the Dash 1 and 2 machines had manual controls and I'm sure there was no computer system in them.

I guess anything could be done with some basic knowledge of how the system works, a welder and plenty of welding rod.

Take some photos of the machine and we could identify what you have and work from there.

big builder

John,

Ok I have alittle more information. I could take some pictures of the machine later today. I would need to run a hydraulic drive motor initially but would like to run two identical someday. Each motor requires 59gpm @ 4350 max psi. So to run two it would take about 118 gpm. I am sure it is possible to run one motor from the pc 200 but is it capable of running two?

I will work on the picutres.

BB

John C.

Occupation
The system could run one of the motors using both pumps maybe. Their output is about thirty gallons a minute but that is at a lower pressure because the engine does not have enough power to drive it. The gallonage at 4,500 is about 12 gallons a minute on each pump. You would have to go up to something like a PC400 to run that gallonage and pressure.

Are you trying to run a crusher or something? You would need somewhere around 275 horsepower to run that one motor. I would guess that Komatsu motor is probably somewhere around 185 horses or less.