• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 Case 1155D engine removal

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
It isn't too late to put the correct color on it, BC.
In regards to the flywheel position when remounting it, is that a long time ago I was working alone, laying under a machine. I think the dam flywheel weighed 500 lbs. it felt like it anyway.
I didn't have any index (punch) marks to line it up. I started out about as far off the from having the correct holes lined up that I finally had to suspend the stupid thing with a lifting device.

Yes it is always that way when you are working alone and laying under a machine.
32.png
Or it is for me anyway.
Usually there is mud involved too! :D

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
The timing marks for that engine are on the front crank pulley, btw, I always bolt the water manifold on without gaskets to make sure the heads are in alignment, I hope you did that. I have no clue what the flywheel marks are for unless the flywheel is used in another application

Yes I saw the timing marks on the front pully, my poor excuse for shop manual even mentioned those. It will take a little cyphering (as Jethro Bodene would say :p) to figure it out as the marks on my pully are so small. The marks can be seen okay but not TDC, BTDC, or ATDC so hopefully I can figure that out.

And yes I did check the alignment of the heads with the water mani but that was because one of you Guys mentioned it. I would have never thought of that without the tip someone gave here.

B-C

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Hi Guys!
I thought I would give a little update. I haven't had much time to play with Sweetheart this week. And the the one afternoon I did get a few minutes didn't turn out very good.

I think it was Thursday afternoon I had about an hour of daylight after work and I said man I can get a couple of components bolted on and I will be just a little closer to the finish line. I decided I would start with the oil cooler. Well as they say hind sight is 20/20 (or better). I wish I had started with something else. The oil cooler has 2 bolts that hold it to the block and the gaskets are just 2 rubber O-rings.

I got everything ready to bolt on, surfaces cleaned, bolts cleaned, thread lock on the bolts, and O-rings in place almost. I noticed the O-rings were just a little larger in diameter than what I would really like them to be, but, so what, I can put a little sticky on them to keep them from slipping and they would squeeze right in place.

I got everything snugged up and felt everything was good. Everything seemed to look like it was in place and I just needed to torque it down. I torqued the first bolt it is good to go I thought, I torqued the second bolt and at the last little twist I heard that little pop that all mechanics have heard at some time in their life which gives them that little sick feeling in the bit of their stomach. :(

So with that little pop I am sure I just invested a few more hundred $$$ if I can even find this part to replace it with. :(:confused::eek::oops::mad:

I assume the oversized O-rings at some small point was squeezed outside of it's channel just enough to keep it from bolting up true to the block as it should. The 2 surfaces where it bolts up are made on in the block and the 2 legs on the bottom of the oil cooler are made in one piece so it could not have been a miss alignment of something one my part during disassembly and reassembly.

Ole how I wish I had gotten 2 more O-rings that were the perfect size! :(:(:(:( See pics below.

504 cracked oil cooler 1.JPG 504 cracked oil cooler 2.JPG

Tinkerer

No worries BC !
That can be repaired quite easily by welding it.
When you reinstall it leave that bolt off, after tightening down the others.
Then, get a set of feeler gauges and see if a shim or shims is need to prevent putting any strain on the mount.
Or it may need a little careful filing if it appears to be too tight against the block.
You will know as you tighten the other bolts.
Always use the correct O rings on anything. No exceptions. ;)

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Thanks Tink! That makes me feel better, I didn't know if that was made of a type metal that could be welded or not. The feeler gauge tip is great too, if I had been smart enough to have known that I would not need the welder. :oops: Well maybe I would not have needed the welder, I knew better than to use the O-rings when they didn't fit exactly and I did it anyway. :( Hardheaded people like me just never seem to learn, or if I do, I learn the hard way. :eek::rolleyes:o_O

The good thing is that it can be welded, that should save those hundreds of $$$ I thought I had just spent. That brings a :D to my face!!!!

BC

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good morning Guys!
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and remembered to thank our Father for His mannnnnnny blessings!

I thought I would give an update on how things are going. I was making really good progress on Thanksgiving Day since I was off work that day, until I had 3 exhaust manifold studs ring off. It was not due to over torqueing but the poor condition the studs were in. Oh heck yes, hind site raises its ugly head again :(, yes, yes i know now I should have had the machine that did the heads to replace them. :confused:o_O But who things that the studs are going to ring off? Not me :oops:!

One was easy it rang off where the nut goes on and it came out pretty easy after I removed the x-man and I still had something to get hold of with some vice-grips. But the other two were the evil kind that ring off even with the head and have to be drilled out and re-tapped. Fortunately and unfortunately I have some past experience with that process :cool:! But at least the x-man is on now with all new studs, I wasn't going to take it off again. That would have really shown a more than average degree of stupidity on my part. :D:D

I am getting closer. I have added some exterior components to Sweetheart (see pics below). I could have added more components but I am waiting on a couple of items to come back from the shops they are at and didn't want to add too many things and have to remove some of them, as in ''getting the cart before the horse''.

The oil cooler (that I cracked by using the wrong o-rings on it, even though they were the ones that came in the gasket kit for that purpose. I knew they were not exactly the correct size so i rightly blame myself for that one. :confused:) is still at the welding shop hopefully I will get that back in the next couple of days. That one will not be that expensive so in the grand scheme of things it is not a biggie.

But the other one the injector pump is going to lighten my pocket book when he gets that ready. The loader was running when I bought it but with the broken I could not tell how good it was running. The pump showed a couple of minor leaks so I decided to take it to the shop to have those small items fixed, I was thinking a couple of bushings and a couple of seals. So that will not cost much. Jack called me the next day (he is the injection pump Mac-Daddy in my area) saying that he could patch it up but it really needed going through to make it right. So that is another $2035. :eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!

Well if everything else is good on the loader I will be glad I spent that, but if it has other major issues once I get the engine (aka Sweetheart) running I will be pouting :oops:o_O!

I guess the really bad thing is I haven't gotten this one running yet and I am already looking at another track loader I found last week! I guess the Crazy part in Bobcat Crazy is ringing true! o_O View attachment 249313 View attachment 249314 View attachment 249315 View attachment 249316 Hey don't seem so surprised, I told you all up front hat I was not very smart and just can't seem to stop jumping in over my head when it comes to turning bolts and bringing machines back to life. :):):);)

The other machine is a 1997 Fiat Allis FL-145C.
The engine runs good but it will not move. They say they think a filter may be stopped up. Yeah right!!! :D:D:D I was born at night but not last night! :p:p:p

Should I ask question about the Fiat Allis on this thread or start another thread about it. I would certainly want to ask you Guys some questions before I got serious about buying that one. See pic at very bottom.

504 getting closer 1.JPG 504 getting closer 2.JPG 504 getting closer 3.JPG Loader project 2 maybe..PNG

View attachment 249313 View attachment 249314 View attachment 249315 View attachment 249316

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Okay I will try the pics again. And start a new for the other toy I am thinking about. Hopefully the pics will work this time.

504 getting closer 1.JPG 504 getting closer 2.JPG 504 getting closer 3.JPG
Thanks!
B-C

504 getting closer 1.JPG 504 getting closer 2.JPG 504 getting closer 3.JPG

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
To avoid confusion, it would be best to start a new thread for the Fiatt.
I don't know how you are attaching the images but they go to an error page.

Hey Tink,
I hope the pics came through this time, for some reason they are showing up twice on my end. Computers? I love them when I am smart to use them correctly! :cool:

Tags

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Nice job getting "Sweetheart" back together. Please run away from the Fiat, if you think parts for the Case are hard to find you'll be completely stiffiled with the Fiat. Plugged filter my behind, line know out Dmillers thread here. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/fat-allis-next-surgery.79866/page-16#post-895679 Even reach out to him, he will tell you all the evils of his "Special Girl"

Wow that was heavy reading! I think I'll stick with Sweetheart and then cool my heels for a while and may be look for something else to come along that needs repair.

I have enjoyed playing around with Sweetheart, the determining factor will be how everything else on her works when she has a heartbeat again. Hopefully that will be within a couple more weeks.

B-C

Tinkerer

Nice pictures of your progress, BC.
I don't know why they are doubled up when you posted them. It happens to me quite often also.
When that happens and you see the doubles they can be edited out.
Open the edit function on the post and highlight the attachment.
It will look like this ----> {ATTACH=full12345677{/ATTACH}
Then right click on and hit cut or backspace to delete them.

Last edited:

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Nice pictures of your progress, BC.
I don't know why they are doubled up when you posted them. It happens to me quite often also.
When that happens and you see the doubles they can be edited out.
Open the edit function on the post and highlight the attachment.
It will look like this ----> {ATTACH=full12345677{/ATTACH}
Then right click on and hit cut or backspace to delete them.

Sounds good Tink thanks!

B-C

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good evening Guys!
I got a call from the injection pump shop today saying my stuff was ready, YAY! :):)

When I went to pick it up I almost needed 2 checks to pay for it! :eek::eek: The total was so much there was almost not enough writing space to write it all on one! :eek::(:(:(

This guy as I said earlier is the injection pump guru in our area, he has been building pumps since he finished his training in 1964 and he can build them with his eyes closed almost. When you install a pump that he has built they are fine tuned and a new pump is not any better than one he has gone through. :D

But he will forever more kill your pocketbook as he did mine today!!! :(:(:(

He totally rebuilt the pump, he also cleaned, set pressure, and tested 5 injectors, and replaced one that I damaged removing it. I figured that one would have to be replaced but that was my fault totally. It was stuck and I worked and worked with it trying to remove it until I got it out. I should have waited until I pulled the head and then I would not have damaged it. Have I ever mentioned "Hind Sight"? :cool::cool:

Anyway the total was $2856. :confused::( I am curious to know how that compares to what you Guys pay for that type work.

I had certainly not planned to spend that money because it was running with the pump when I bought it. However I could not tell how well it was running due to the knock being so bad and the #4 cylinder (which was also where the crank was broken) was not firing. But when I pulled it down all of the other cylinders were firing and it would crank if I just bumped the starter, even with #4 not firing so I was thinking the pump was in good shape.

But what do I know about injection pumps? Nothing , other than judging by how quickly it cranked even with one cylinder not firing. :oops:

I wish I had waited on having the pump built until I saw how it ran when I got it back together and see if everything else worked on it. But that is spilt milk now and hopefully my feeling will not be still hurting so bad about that unexpected investment in a few days or weeks.

Okay now that I have finished whining about how much that was I will post a couple of pics below of my new pump and it installed, which I am really happy about. :):) Oh, let me whine one more time :cool: that pump cost me almost as much as the machine! Whine Whine! :rolleyes::D:D

Later Guys!
B-C

504 injection pump invoice.JPG 504 injection pump installed.JPG

Last edited:

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good evening Gents,
Maybe one of you could help me with the timing marks on the crank pulley. The marks are there but very faintly. I can't tell where TDC, BTDC, or ATDC is (see pics below).

I even painted the pulley black and used fine grit sandpaper to buff it to help highlight the marks but still I can't see any thing but the marks. There is what looks to be a factory punch mark on the center rib of the pulley (I am pointing at it with my pretty little orange finger :D) which I thought might
be the TDC mark but it is too far off to be that.

So I am kind of lost when it comes to setting the injection pump timing at 29 or 30 degrees.

If any of you have better pics of the good marks on a pulley that is not worn as much as mine maybe I could compare the 2 to tell what is what on mine.

Thanks again Guys!
B-Crazy

504 timing marks 1.JPG 504 timing marks 2.JPG 504 timing marks 3.JPG

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good evening Guys!
I made some good progress on Sweetheart today. I finally figured out the timing marks, the manual said the marks were 0 to 15 degrees ATDC and 0 to 35 degrees BTDC. So I was able to count those out once I learned the layout of the marks.

The punch mark on the center rib of the pully I mentioned above was close to where the timing sets but still a few degrees off according to the manual. I don't know if this is the original pully or not. It may have been used for a different application before it came to live with Sweetheart. :D

(see pics below)

You know a lot of have marks or scars on us from a previous time! :eek: :D:D

Anyway I got my oil cooler back from the welding shop this morning so I was able to put that back on today. The welding shop owner did a great job welding it. He built it up pretty good on the outside for extra strength, and then I noticed he even welding it on the inside through the 3/4 inch hole. (see pics below) I was impressed with the welding on the inside. It is stronger now than when it was new.

BTW, you can believe I bought the correct O-rings for it this time! :rolleyes: The others were supposed to be the correct ones and they came in the gasket set. But it was clear they were a little off. However I certainly didn't think they would cause me to crack the oil cooler. o_O :mad:

504 oil cooler welding 1.JPG 504 oil cooler welding 2.JPG

504 timing marks set 1.JPG 504 timing marks set 2.JPG

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Also I was able to get the injectors in today and get all of the fuel lines connected. (see pics) I thought that I might get far enough along to hear it crank today but that didn't happen. Hopefully with a couple good evenings after work or another productive Saturday I will reach that point and I can see how Sweetheart sounds before I put everything back on her.

I would not be telling the truth if I said I didn't like the way Sweetheart is looking with her injectors and fuel lines back in place again. :):):D

I am also really glad to see that oil cooler hanging on the side of the engine block. I caused myself a lot of trouble and time loss having to wait on the welding shop to get to it. So it is sweeter than normal to see it in place.

504 refurbished injectors 1.JPG 504 refurbished injectors 2.JPG 504 refurbished injectors with fuel lines.JPG 504 oil cooler installed.JPG

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good evening Awesome Friends!
I cranked Sweetheart at 4:41 yesterday and it runs like a top! (for all of you youngsters out there that are too young to know what that means, it means really smooth). YAY, YAY, YAY!:D:D:D Can you tell I am just a little bit happy to have finally heard Sweetheart Crank? :D

I have a 25 second video that I will try to load below, I am not sure how successful I will be but we will see. Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and tried to steer me in the right direction on the first loader engine total rebuild. From the sound of the engine you all kept me out of trouble and gave great advice!

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
I have not been able to load the video. If you have any pointers to help me I will try it again. Here is the message I get when I try to load it.

upload_2021-12-7_20-58-43.png