• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 Case 1155D engine removal

Tinkerer

Here ya go BC !
The complete procedure for those flex-plates.
Double click on it and you can view it with a browser or save as a file to a computer.

Attachments

• Case Crawler Dozer 1155D Flex-Plate Replacement.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 10

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
Here ya go BC !
The complete procedure for those flex-plates.
Double click on it and you can view it with a browser or save as a file to a computer.

Hey Tink that was great! It was just what I needed to set the flexplate up correctly. AWESOME HELP!!

I would say from the way it was when I took it out that the last guy that installed this engine didn't have this info, it was a 1/2 inch off from these specs.

I have one other question about the flywheel positioning. I will post that question and a couple of pics right after this post.

B-C

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good day Guys!

I found one other thing I would like to ask about if you Guys have time. I promise I am not trying to take up all of your time or take advantage of your helpful nature.

After I installed the flywheel on the crank I found timing marks on the rim of the flywheel.

I have the engine at TDC, (on compression stroke) and facing the rear of the engine I have the pin on the flywheel (that goes into the flexplate) at about 11 o’clock so it is in line with the hand hole in the torque housing.

I found the timing marks on the flywheel at about 9:30. For these marks to be accurate (I am not sure where the index mark they line up with is at) I must have the flywheel bolted on correctly (correct bolt hole in flywheel matching correct bolt hole in crankshaft). In the current position, with the front crankshaft pully on TDC and the timing marks at 9:30 on the flywheel it would be impossible to see these timing marks in their current position.

This says to me that I do not have the flywheel bolted on in the correct position. Am I correct in this thinking or are these timing marks for a different purpose?

Do any of you see anything in your manual about the correct position when bolting the flywheel on to the crankshaft.

PS.
Okay, okay I have learned my lesson about buying an off brand service manual from amozony or et-bay whichever it came from:mad::(:confused:!

PSS.

I may never get this running but if I don't, with all of the pretty paint maybe a loader mechanic shop will give me a few dollars for it to make a pretty sign out of it. :cool: :D:D:p:p ;)

Thanks again Guys!!
B-Crazy
Okay, okay 504 flywheel.JPG 504 flexplate.JPG 504 going into frame.JPG 504 ready to bolt up.JPG

Thanks Guys!
B-Crazy

Reactions: DB2

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Looks to be some good careful work there BC! Keep it Up!! I'm real sorry about your mom. Glad to hear of your confidence of the Place she is going!!

Okay, okay I have learned my lesson about buying an off brand service manual from amozony or et-bay whichever it came from:mad::(:confused:!

I'm sorry that I chuckled every time that manual came up. To all the future Crazys coming after you my Friend. Try to find a original manual if at all possible. I've found some good deals on Ebay if you have time to wait for one.

I see you don't need too much Luck! You take the time to get it Right!

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Looks to be some good careful work there BC! Keep it Up!! I'm real sorry about your mom. Glad to hear of your confidence of the Place she is going!!

I'm sorry that I chuckled every time that manual came up. To all the future Crazys coming after you my Friend. Try to find a original manual if at all possible. I've found some good deals on Ebay if you have time to wait for one.

I see you don't need too much Luck! You take the time to get it Right!

Hey Cat,
It is okay to chuckle about the manual that stuck myself with, I laugh about it too so I can keep from crying. :rolleyes: :D

Tinkerer

I would guess that the dummy that had that motor apart the first time didn't punch mark the flywheel and crankshaft flange to insure that the two were reassembled in the same position that it was in when it was new.
An engine could be out of balance when a flywheel is positioned differently than when it left the factory.
No punch marks on them before dis-assembly is a big no no in my world.
So, as result the flywheel may or may not be where it should be now.
Did you keep track of the oil pump mount shims and check the backlash on the gear after you put it back on ?
Perhaps others that know more about your 504 will post more definitive information for you.

Last edited:

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
I would guess that the dummy that had that motor apart the first time didn't punch mark the flywheel and crankshaft flange to insure that the two were reassembled in the same position that it was in when it was new.
An engine could be out of balance when a flywheel is positioned differently than when it left the factory.
Did you keep track of the oil pump mount shims and check the backlash on the gear after you put it back on ?
Perhaps others that know more about your 504 will post more definitive information for you.

melben

Occupation
The flywheel will only bolt on one place, there is a bolt slightly offset so it cannot be on wrong

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
The flywheel will only bolt on one place, there is a bolt slightly offset so it cannot be on wrong

I love it when a manufacture will take the extra effort to do things like that. Not to be counted on. When pulling apart machines of various types I'll use different arrangements of punch marks, punch marks by 2's and 3's run them 90 degrees to the split line, small chisel marks or number stamps. Be sure to flat file the machine face adjoining those marks its very easy to push metal into the face. I use a smooth mill file on all machine faces to check for raised places like bolt holes. Flat files are almost never flat use the convex side to the surface.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation

I didn't find any marks if it was marked they were not obvious.
Yes I did save the shims and checked the backlash after I installed the new pump. Thanks to you Guys warning me of that. Plus it was one of the few things that poor excuse for a shop manual covered.

Thanks!
B-C

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation

So they did make a fail safe gadget to keep dummies like me from screwing that part up at least! :D Nice! :) Thanks for the info Mel.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
So it has finally reached the point of beginning to look a little better with ever few bolts that I put in. Who knows I may have this thing back together by Jan. 1/22

Or I may not the days are really short now when I get home from work so we will see hw it go. The good part is I have heavy Sweetheart bolted in the frame again (that is a milestone for me on this project) and I bolted up the flexplate today after work. Man that feels good! :cool: :)

It does look a little different than what I started with see below just as a reminder. :cool::D

504 flexplate and flywheel bolted up.JPG 504 at rest.JPG 504 setting Sweetheart in frame.JPG 504 with heads 4.JPG

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Hey Melben,
If you know about the crankshaft bolts being offset, maybe you can tell me what the timing marks on the rim of the flywheel are for. With the engine at TDC there would not be anyway to see the marks on the flywheel in that position. Are those marks for something other than ignition timing?

Thanks!
B-C

Tinkerer

It is looking good BC !
I go brain dead every so often.
I knew that those flywheels and crankshaft flanges have bolt patterns that make it impossible for them to be assembled incorrectly. But, like I posted earlier, I always punch mark them.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Cat sure was thinking when they Grabbed that Sweet Yellow Paint before anyone else did!!!
Nice looking Work BC!!!

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
It is looking good BC !
I go brain dead every so often.
I knew that those flywheels and crankshaft flanges have bolt patterns that make it impossible for them to be assembled incorrectly. But, like I posted earlier, I always punch mark them.

Haha, brain dead, I resemble that statement! :eek: Even to the point that I think sometimes I may have Dain Bramage :eek::D:D!

It is funny how we do forget things sometimes when we use to remember them so well. o_O

I knew that most cars & small trucks that I have pulled/replaced engines in were designed like that. But as I have mentioned previously this is my first engine of this size and I was not smart enough to check and see if it would fit more than one position.

How funny is it that the first position I placed it in was the correct one? Man I am good! :cool: I wish that were true it was luck this time. :D

So this still leaves me with the question of what these marks are used for? Oh well, either it will not matter for this project or I will dig deeper when something does not work. :rolleyes: I just hope it does not cause me to damage something, but with the engine in the correct timing I assume this would not cause that. In my mind these marks must have a different purpose but what did I say about Dain Bramage? :confused::confused:

Have a good day Guys!
B-Crazy :D

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Cat sure was thinking when they Grabbed that Sweet Yellow Paint before anyone else did!!!
Nice looking Work BC!!!

:eek: I never thought it would stand out that much but it is not even close. The Cat yellow is almost the same color as the background color here on Heavy Equipment Forum, it makes me wonder if the creators of HEF are Cat fans or if this is just a coincidence! :)

Yes my mind works in strange ways. ;)

B-C

Tinkerer

It isn't too late to put the correct color on it, BC.
In regards to the flywheel position when remounting it, is that a long time ago I was working alone, laying under a machine. I think the dam flywheel weighed 500 lbs. it felt like it anyway.
I didn't have any index (punch) marks to line it up. I started out about as far off the from having the correct holes lined up that I finally had to suspend the stupid thing with a lifting device.

melben

Occupation
:eek: I never thought it would stand out that much but it is not even close. The Cat yellow is almost the same color as the background color here on Heavy Equipment Forum, it makes me wonder if the creators of HEF are Cat fans or if this is just a coincidence! :)

Yes my mind works in strange ways. ;)

B-C
The timing marks for that engine are on the front crank pulley, btw, I always bolt the water manifold on without gaskets to make sure the heads are in alignment, I hope you did that. I have no clue what the flywheel marks are for unless the flywheel is used in another application

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright

Other than maybe they just sold more because of the Great Color!!! Who doesn't like Spiffy Colors!!! I think they just sold more because they made Great Machines. More sales........... More chances for Fans!!!

I'm a bit prejudice because I own a few. I like my John Deere 450C but at 1/3 the weight its just not as Cool as the 977. I like all Machines when they work and suit their purpose, all colors aside. :confused::rolleyes:

Last edited: