• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1971 540b diesel - blows all the coolant out of the cap on cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracing

one has to start to wonder why people are so upset that i went with a reasonably priced solution using my own good judgement (and am reviewing it here as it is installed ), instead of allowing dale to intervene with his wares ???
dale dale dale, is all i am seeing from you all lol

(maybe a bunch of you are mad cause you paid way too much ??)

tracing

That is-> a man who is somewhat knowledgeable about what he is doing but making stupid comments and decisions. Really, to even think about leaving a screen off of a pickup tube. Good grief !!

THATS RIGHT POSTERS, THROW AN IDEA OUT THERE AND THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO PROBLEM CALLING YOU NAMES AND STATING YOU ARE STUPID

SEEMS THIS ENTIRE BOARD IS POPULATED WITH SOME REAL CHILDREN

Tinkerer

MY goodness !!!
You quote my post and then accuse me of referring to you as stupid.
Quite the contrary I said you were somewhat knowledgeable about what you were doing. You are so angry you cannot see the folly in even considering leaving the screen off that pick-up tube.
Now that you bring children into your grossly misguided rant take a loooong look in the first mirror you can find.
Sorry, I tried to offer you some help in a small way and you distort my intent to appease your anger.
I kinda figured this thread would go downhill early on when you said you have been in pi##ing matches on other boards.

Grady

How many times do you need to hear it? -Not that it will do any good because you have already decided otherwise. No one gives a flying f*** that you didn't call Dale or where you buy your parts or which hand you use. No one cares except you. You don't need Dale - just us stupid morons need his help. You're an expert on your first attempt and we're still amateurs after all these years. Too bad you weren't smart enough to recognize a F'd up motor before you bought it, huh? Gee, does anyone know why it blows all the coolant out of the cap on cold start? No you tube videos on that? Do future readers a favor by being less of an a-hole.

jimg984

If the answer is to call dale then why have the forum.

so you can brag to him how smart you are! you seem to spend more time on computer than the work, posting how smart you are and doing videos, ego, attitude, a sad case of thinking you, I'm sure you know and can figure things, but brag about is bad, you thinking all others are dumb, other people are thinkers with experience all this makes you a CLASS 1 ASSHOLE

tracing

Too bad you weren't smart enough to recognize a F'd up motor before you bought it, huh?

lol right.. i fully expected to have engine trans and hydraulic issues when i bought this 1971 580b with extendahoe for 4500 (it started on CL at 9,000 and later dropped so pretty clear it had issues)

so far it is a lot better than i expected
brakes 340
loader lift repack 30
tie rods and bar 65 (they welded one of the tie rods on lol)
ex manifold and gasket 169
radiator 400
water pump 66
fluids 200
engine in frame and head 780
new seat 120
filters x 2 sets = 60
and it will need front tires
and throw about 350 for tools i didnt have and sealants
oh and it will get new injectors too so 85 for that

i originally considered a large 3 point backhoe for one of my other 3 tractors but my tractor man in PA told me it was a lot more expensive cause you have to add a frame or you will break the back of the tractor, they get a few each year that have done that.

So when you compare the cost of this to that, and the fact that i need it for a few projects then sell it, i am certain to get a premium price make a profit and have the use of a free unrented ho.

plus the 3 point cant compare to the capability of this ho

very smart

ps when i looked at this, here is what i did, told him to make it go forward and backward in all 4 gears, move the hydraulics, sold, took 2 minutes lol
uMGHrwW.jpg

Last edited:

tracing

Gee, does anyone know why it blows all the coolant out of the cap on cold start?

well no one here did, they wanted me to do all this testing, and i said it seems to be getting pressurized by the engine, cant i just pull the fan belt to prove that and skip a bunch of testing ?

lol

Vetech63

Troubleshooting and testing is how you avoid being a parts changer. I know my customers appreciate it.

hosspuller

Tracing … You're blowing this whole thing into a pissing contest that no one but you is participating in.

Gee, does anyone know why it blows all the coolant out of the cap on cold start?

well no one here did, they wanted me to do all this testing, and i said it seems to be getting pressurized by the engine, cant i just pull the fan belt to prove that and skip a bunch of testing ?
lol

The testing was put a gauge on the cooling system. A worthy test in many instances. That was the only test suggestion.

To remind you... "I like your logic in taking off the water pump belt . An old timer showed me that trick about 20 years ago. I completely forgot. Sorry for that.
Good luck , hoping for the best "

As I also hope the best for you for you. A working machine is something many here, as a kid watched in wonder. Another working machine may inspire yet another kid.

Grady

ps when i looked at this, here is what i did, told him to make it go forward and backward in all 4 gears, move the hydraulics, sold, took 2 minutes lol

Let this thread be a lesson to those who are contemplating buying a machine. There is no substitute for "due diligence" as someone on here put it recently. If you aren't willing to put the effort in before you buy, you can count on putting it in afterwards.

So when you compare the cost of this to that, and the fact that i need it for a few projects then sell it, i am certain to get a premium price make a profit and have the use of a free unrented ho.

When you add it all up by the time you sell it, you will never come close to what you will have in it - let alone make a profit. Keep dreaming.

Without the help of this forum, you would still be nervously contemplating what to do - like at the start of this thread. Now you're emboldened and sound like you knew it all to begin with. You didn't know squat and you know it. If this machine runs again, it will be because of this forum and in spite of your inclinations.

Last edited:

tracing

lol nervously contemplating

man you all really are full of yourselves

yes this forum was the godsend LOL LMFAO

When you add it all up by the time you sell it, you will never come close to what you will have in it - let alone make a profit. Keep dreaming.

umm when you factor in savings on rental, umm yeah, total cost of ownership, ummm yeah, you need a lesson in basic operational math

LMFAO X 2 man what a bunch of losers

tracing

Troubleshooting and testing is how you avoid being a parts changer. I know my customers appreciate it.

SURE, LIKE REMOVING THE FAN BELT TO SEE IF IT STILL BLOWS OUT COOLANT, THATS CALLED DIAGNOSTICS, TOOK 5 MINUTES NO SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED

Grady

i removed the belt
filled the radiator
cold started at slow idle maybe 600 rpm ,very slow
water pulsed out of the open uncapped radiator in time with the engine shooting 3 to 6 inches in the air
blown head gasket?

:confused:

okey doke, yeah i think its the head, so tomorrow i will start it and move it about 75 feet from under the shade tree i have been using, to a partially enclosed building cause all the rain has made working on this suck.
i have been going over the info here
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-the-old-ck-would-be-appreciated.71447/page-9
and plan to seek advice here as i tackle this, i have the repair manual but i'm sure it lacks important tips lol.
i have replaced 3 heads before, so i'll be unsure on things like making sure i keep things timed up, any disconnecting of the fuel injector system from the head, i saw make sure the head is not laid flat or damage to injectors.

i think a lot is no brainer take off this and that, but feel free to shout out warnings now as i prepare to remove the head.
thanks all

:oops::oops::oops: Stand back everyone and "feel free to shout out warnings as i prepare to remove the head" :oops::oops::oops:

At what point in the thread does he go from greenhorn to expert?

Vetech63

On those engines, you need to plasti-gauge the block deck with the head. This will require you to installed the head several times to get an accurate measurement. Use the plasti-gauge between each cylinder, but do it one at a time so the additional plasti-gauge doesn't effect your readings. Make sure when you install your pistons in the liners that your piston rings are timed correctly. No need to time your injector pump......it is a constant flow system and the timing is done by the clocking of the fuel injectors. Hope all goes well! ;)

Reactions: DB2

Tinkerer

lol nervously contemplating
man you all really are full of yourselves
yes this forum was the godsend LOL LMFAO
umm when you factor in savings on rental, umm yeah, total cost of ownership, ummm yeah, you need a lesson in basic operational math
LMFAO X 2 man what a bunch of losers

Ummmm, Sorry but I for one and several others know exactly what is causing the coolant to be blown out of the cap.
But, when you went off on your tirade attacking a lot of really good people there will be no more help from me.
I will agree with you on the rental cost of a T/L/B because, if you run backhoe like you do mechanical work the rental cost would exceed the price of a new machine. Do the math dummy. LOL, As you say so often at your idiotic remarks.
You really need some professional help with your sick ,sick mind.
Please, go away from this forum forever.
PS, To the moderators watching this thread. There will be no more posting from me here. I am done with Tracing.

Vetech63

Ummmm, Sorry but I for one and several others know exactly what is causing the coolant to be blown out of the cap.
But, when you went off on your tirade attacking a lot of really good people there will be no more help from me.
I will agree with you on the rental cost of a T/L/B because, if you run backhoe like you do mechanical work the rental cost would exceed the price of a new machine. Do the math dummy. LOL, As you say so often at your idiotic remarks.
You really need some professional help with your sick ,sick mind.
Please, go away from this forum forever.
PS, To the moderators watching this thread. There will be no more posting from me here. I am done with Tracing.
For some strange reason, I love to watch a trainwreck.:p

Grady

Me too, Tinkerer. I'm all done. I can't believe Vetch63 is giving him all those secrets about plastic-gauging the block to the head and timing the rings when he's been such a dick. :D - and though I usually hate the sound of metal grabbing metal, :mad::confused: I could really enjoy it coming from a certain place in Fort Valley. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.