• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1971 540b diesel - blows all the coolant out of the cap on cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Well there ya go..
I don't wanna go back & read 4 pages.. are you replacing the head? if so, you wont have ta worry about worn valve guides for a while,, THATS what the seals are primarily for.. Keeps the lube oil from the head, going back down the valve guides.{Blue Smoke}
IF you are getting a new head & its complete.. you should find out if it HAS Vstem seals. {valves machined}

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Are u just using these as reff.?? or r u buying the parts from there?
Have u given Tractor Stuff a try?? Tell Dale, The Pump Guy sent ya or Tinkerer.. He'll hook you up.. & explain to him WHAT the original problem was & you DID find the parts for a rebuild & ASK HIM if he can match or BEAT the prices..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Are u SURE its a 540 & not a 580??
I see on the intake valve, they'll fit both.. but the exhaust ??
I take that back.. I just looked again.. you better have another look.

tracing

ok i figured out that the parts manual has numerous typo errors on the valve head page

the correct seal is G46851 and you can pay 89 cents to 10 dollars each on the web lol
diagram also show the seals installed after the top spring retainer and before the collets, which im pretty sure is impossible, i think you install valve, then seals then springs retainers etc.

yeah the first post says title is wrong its a 580, couldn't change title

tracing

In the pic the seals are item 27, in the listing below the pic they are item 25
JmzT3MI.jpg

m18HvfH.jpg

cRJxz0T.jpg

Tinkerer

It would be in your best interest to call Dale Weiss. When you are done talking to him all your questions will be answered. He will explain the differences you are encountering with the varying prices on overhaul kits.
I can tell you that things like piston ring end gaps will be perfect when they are installed using his kits.
In a tractor that old I would be putting new valve guides in the head. Very cheap insurance for a long lasting valve job.

56wrench

those valve seals are like the old small-block chevy seals. the spring and retainer is installed and compressed far enough to wiggle the lubricated seal down into the groove. then, with a dab of lubriplate (or similar engine assembly grease ) to hold the keepers in place, you carefully release the valve spring compressor making sure the keepers stay properly in place. make sure everything is properly in place and seated. you don't want to have a valve drop into a cylinder!

tracing

all good comments, THANKS, still researching, got my engine serial number off the tractor now i know i need the larger flange cylinders. Going to talk to a machine shop so I can get that support lined up. Will try to contact Dale. thanks

tracing

those valve seals are like the old small-block chevy seals. the spring and retainer is installed and compressed far enough to wiggle the lubricated seal down into the groove. then, with a dab of lubriplate (or similar engine assembly grease ) to hold the keepers in place, you carefully release the valve spring compressor making sure the keepers stay properly in place. make sure everything is properly in place and seated. you don't want to have a valve drop into a cylinder!

ok so the diagram is correct, they actually go in after those parts, not before as i thought. that would explain why after i removed the keys i had to place some washers under the springs to add some spring force, then use pliers to hold the top of the spring and wiggle and twist to get the springs out, because the seal was actually on top or at least partially so and was holding onto the top spring cap

tracing

i found the seals for under a dollar a piece, shipping's 15 lol, If the kit comes with no seals, or, valves with one groove, i will get the valves machine with a second groove and order the seals.

tracing

so while i wait on parts, i removed the fuel tank and want to attack the suction screen in the trans, do i have to remove the stuff mounted on top of the adapter plate in order to remove the plate or can that stuff circled in red stay attached to the plate.

1f0xDbx.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
So you bought a kit, spent 765.00 not knowing whats in it?? without picking up the phone & calling Dale??
Brilliant.. Wheres that unsubscribe button?? :confused:

tracing

So you bought a kit, spent 765.00 not knowing whats in it?? without picking up the phone & calling Dale??
Brilliant.. Wheres that unsubscribe button?? :confused:
how rude
they have a return policy
i have bought tens of thousands of dollars in parts "without knowing whats in the box", very rarely if ever has it been an issue

if it works and rebuilds the engine 90% minus cam and crank seals, for under 800, i agree, brilliant
also, others here will know they dont have to call dale, they can just order these kits, or not if they dont work out

Status
Not open for further replies.