• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1970 580ck Gets her name and surgery

1968 Case 580CK

Xpac.......Got a question for you. Fliptop said he thinks my brake pedals might not be original, as they looked a bit odd on one of my posted pics. Here are a couple pics....let me know if yours are the same or if maybe mine are installed wrong: There is a pretty big gap between both pedals, but the round locking cylinder does come out and slide into the pedal beside it.

580CK Resto Late June 2015 199.jpg

580CK Resto Late June 2015 091.jpg

onemank6

Xpac.......Got a question for you. Fliptop said he thinks my brake pedals might not be original, as they looked a bit odd on one of my posted pics. Here are a couple pics....let me know if yours are the same or if maybe mine are installed wrong: There is a pretty big gap between both pedals, but the round locking cylinder does come out and slide into the pedal beside it.

View attachment 151216DSCN1742.jpg

View attachment 151217
DSCN1744.jpg

68 as you can see mine looks all together different than yours but its probably because yours is a 68 and mine is a 70 but i think jusk has a 68 i dont think its because i have power shuttle but as soon as jusk sees this maybe he can post something aout his and if his comes back like mine then it must be a power shuttle thing .......

fliptop10

Occupation
Sales Manager
Xpack, good call about the model year being different. I have a 1967 and it looks different than both of yours...I will click some picks in the AM and post them. I remember when I had my brake pedals off they looked like they could be reinstalled backwards (wrong pedal on the inside toward the steering column). So when I looked close at 68's and saw the gap was quite a bit larger than mine, I thought maybe they were installed backward...Strange how all of these machines are so different, and yet so much the same. I feel like Case may have just used the parts they had near the assembly line that day.

1968 Case 580CK

Xpac & Fliptop......Yep, pretty interesting.....there is a big difference from the 68 and Xpac's 70. Not sure what is going on with Xpac's pedals and that upside-down "T" area toward the upper part of the pedals. Mine look alot more simple, but the gap between them is excessive, and you have to have your foot in the right spot to hit both pedals at the same time. Will be interesting to see what Jusk''s 68 looks like.

onemank6

flip......heck yea when you can pics would be great to see the difference ...Like you said there are some differences...Im now wondering what locks the 2 pedals on both of yours mine has a piece of flatstock that flips from the left pedal into a groove on the right pedal 68's looks like there is a hole drilled in the left pedal.....

onemank6

Xpac & Fliptop......Yep, pretty interesting.....there is a big difference from the 68 and Xpac's 70. Not sure what is going on with Xpac's pedals and that upside-down "T" area toward the upper part of the pedals. Mine look alot more simple, but the gap between them is excessive, and you have to have your foot in the right spot to hit both pedals at the same time. Will be interesting to see what Jusk''s 68 looks like.

That T area at the top appears to only be a stop ....and unless yours is different than what i am used to seeing on tractors there should be a lock that is just a mechanical thing like mine the piece of metal you see between the pedals locks them together ....and if you want to use only one pedal at a time (i have always called it a steering brake ) you just flip the lock (piece of metal) so both pedals are not connected then you can push one pedal while moving and it locks up that tire which makes it turn sharp.....

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
xpack, I just went down and had a look at my brake pedals and they are the same as yours. Its the difference between the power shuttle and the standard clutch. While I was in the shop, I thumbed through the Parts book and sure enough, they are different. 68case has what is shown for standard clutch. In the pics of the pages in the parts book, you can see the difference in the left hand pedal, which on the power shuttle has a link, and on the standard clutch has a round pin. Why? who knows....

Attachments

• DSCF4828.jpg
    DSCF4828.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF4829.jpg
    DSCF4829.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 97

onemank6

Jusk looking at the diagram are you thinking pin# 4 somehow slides in the right pedal if your in the seat and thats what is used to lock the pedals together on 68's tractor ????

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
xpack, Ya that's what I'm thinking too. On mine, the link bar has not been used in all the years I've had it. I like the ability to brake one side in tight maneuvering. I just have to remember the radius of swing of that thing sticking out the back....

onemank6

I use mine now and then with the front end being so light especially if im in the mud it comes in handy ....

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk looking at the diagram are you thinking pin# 4 somehow slides in the right pedal if your in the seat and thats what is used to lock the pedals together on 68's tractor ????

Xpac.....Yep, Thats a Big 10-4 from my back door. The round pin in one pedal just slides into the hole of the other pedal and locks them together.....I think its a pretty good design, why they changed it.....who knows?

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
68case, You have the standard clutch, right? I wonder if the tractors that were normally equipped with the 3 point hitch also had the standard clutch, as I don't think a power shuttle would be an advantage is you were plowing or using other implements that load the machine. Maybe someone reading this will know why the differences. Production changes I get, but the design differences based on the options I don't.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
68case, on you vent location for the trans and rear end, I wonder if the 'B' plate is the same and they just swapped the plate and the seat mounting. On both xpacks and mine, the vent is located behind the seat and out seat post is welded to the cover plate. It also looks like your seat base is further back than ours. Does your seat have more travel for adjustment than what ours can do?

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk.......Good point.....maybe the entire cover came off a 580B. If the Bs have the vent in the same spot as mine, then that probably proves it is a B cover. Yep, I have a standard clutch, and Im pretty sure the farm tractors were identical (just a plain clutch and not a shuttle option). Maybe mine was an early 68, and yours was built later in the year after they made a change in the pedals......or, purely something designed for the shuttle (but I dont see a reason for it). My seat has the forward/reverse adjustment, and it comes forward plenty far to make operating comfortable.

Xpac/Jusk......based on this pic, do you think the post is further back than yours?
580CK Resto Late June 2015 158.jpg

fliptop10

Occupation
Sales Manager
Just figured out the design difference after studying it a bit. On the powershuttle models when you depress the clutch, it also depresses the brake. So as the clutch is depressed it uses the T shaped braket to apply pressure to both brake pedals. Wont even matter if the flat steel bar is down or up.
If you own a mechanical shuttle, when you drepress the clutch pedal, you are only actuating the clutch. You have to use the brakes completely independently. Interesting...

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Just figured out the design difference after studying it a bit. On the powershuttle models when you depress the clutch, it also depresses the brake. So as the clutch is depressed it uses the T shaped braket to apply pressure to both brake pedals. Wont even matter if the flat steel bar is down or up.
If you own a mechanical shuttle, when you drepress the clutch pedal, you are only actuating the clutch. You have to use the brakes completely independently. Interesting...

fliptop, I think you got it! :notworthy

onemank6

Now the t bracket makes sense .....68's tractor has always thrown me off a little as far as how that mechanical shutlle operates but it sounds like when he pushes his clutch it disengages his shuttle clutches mechanically somehow where our power shuttle we actually move a spool to change the flow of the shuttle oil to disengage ours...I amstarting to like the sound of the mechanical over the power hey 68 do your clutches grab real good like there is no slipping ???????????