• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1970 580ck Gets her name and surgery

onemank6

Yea kauf I think that cylinder it what's called a load leveler cylindet...and although I don't remember exactly what it does there is a thread on here started by juskatla and I know we talked about that cylinder....do a search for juskatla it's a really good thread to......go with the gland nut wrench on eBay it will do what you need it to you don't really need the small one....and here's. A major thumbs up for Dale at tractor stuff just awesome to deal with you will be glad you did. .

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Kauf, 1man is right on that it is the load leveling cylinder. Mine has been off for years. In short, the transfer of hydraulic fluid through the leveling cylinder keeps the bucket floor level as you raise the loader arms and helps prevent you dropping that log or boulder into your lap when it gets high enough. I intend to put mine back on along with all new hoses but you can work the loader without it. Somewhere on here we did some discussion on the issues with the load leveling cylinder contributing to the damage of the bearing area at the top of the loader frame where the arms attach. It is also suspected of being involved with the common break in the right side loader arm just below the cross piece. This are is plated up on many, including mine. The experts consider all this damage is a result of inexperience in operation and design issues resolved in later models. My 68 Case Project thread is stalled for now but I'm getting back into it and will continue to post pictures and update my findings. If you want to share your efforts with all of us, consider starting another thread for your work, so that others can easily find and benefit from your experience.

Above all, have fun as this is a learning experience for a lot of us, supported by the pros who mad this these machine their life's work.

Grady

Hey xpack, Good to hear from you again. I was pining for the good ole days when you and '68 had us all cracking up with your wild tales of suggestive debauchery between Abe and Marie. it's the kind of thing you can't script - it just sorta happened and it was funny as hell. Glad you're back. We got a half a foot of snow last night. I tried to put the block heater in the "C" since I finally got the plug out of the block but the heater wouldn't screw in because the thick layer of hard sediment in the passage way wouldn't allow the heating element to turn in the hole. I knocked some chunks of it out and went down and got a 3/8 NPT tap to chase the threads and some heavy duty thread sealant so wish me luck.

kaufmath, As far as that load leveling cylinder, my CK has it and I've never had any problems with the loader arms. My "C" and "K" have both had the loader arms welded before I got them but neither of them has that cylinder so that wasn't the cause. I also think that any damage is more likely related to inexperience and abuse. I'd put one on if it was mine. I've seen a couple parts machines in the past couple years around here for sale in the 1 to 2K range. They didn't run and had been sitting for a long time. You can offer to sell any parts you don't need if you get one.

1968 Case 580CK

Grady......Yea man.....Xpac is back, and that means more little blue pills, more Miller brewskies, more lit Camels, and that Chrome Bird popping them, chugging them, smokin them, and having a free-for-all in Xpac's shop.......that Marie LaVoue will be chasing that bird around with a broomstick, putting a curse on him most likely.

Youre right about a used Case parts tractor......wish I could find one for a couple hundred bucks to scavenge as needed.

Good luck getting the block heater in....I tell ya, on frigid days, letting the ole lady warm up a few hours is the same as us having a good hot cup of coffee in the morning before we head out......a must.

kaufmath

ok, sorry for the delay guys. it takes me quite some time to get even small things done on the machine since it is located 20 miles away.

questions for the experts:

1) What kind of tool do you need to remove the rear right 'nut' on the hi-lo shifter plate assembly on the 580ck. here are two picture of it from 1968's collection from another thread, but even the parts manual doesn't identify what kind of 'nut' this is. like a torx? anyone know? the one next to the dipstick hole, the red-dipstick in the 2nd picture below. its not a standard nut. trying to remove this plate to replace the woodruff key.

View attachment 163094

View attachment 163097

2) What kind of fluid is supposed to be in each of these areas? ATF/Hydraulic fluid on the left I'm guessing and 80-90 on the right? (photo credit to Dwight and thanks)

View attachment 163096

3) which is 'hi'. lever up or lever down?

kaufmath

questions for the experts:

1) What kind of tool do you need to remove the rear right 'nut' on the hi-lo shifter plate assembly on the 580ck. here is a picture of it from '1968's' collection from another thread, but even the parts manual doesn't identify what kind of 'nut' this is. like a torx? anyone know? the one right next to the dipstick hole, indicated by the arrow in the picture below. its not a standard nut. I am trying to remove this plate to replace the woodruff key.

nut.JPG

2) What kind of fluid is supposed to be in each of these areas? ATF/TCH fluid on the left I'm guessing, and 80-90 on the right? (photo credit to Dwight and thanks)

April%202015%20Case%20Repairs%20838.jpg

3) which is 'hi'. HI/LO lever up or HI/LO lever down? Mine will only move the tractor in the up position currently, but I'm not sure which I'm getting.

1968 Case 580CK

Kauf.......Yep, I remember that wierd nut on the Hi/Lo cover, and at first I thought someone had lost the original one and just thrown in something they had laying around. But later I found out that this is the correct Case bolt for that one particular hole. At the time I was working on my CK, I realized why they used it, but I cant quite remember the reason now.....maybe it was to keep the bolt away from the red dipstick top so it would not be in the way of a wrench? If my memory is correct, I think it took a 12pt 1/2 or 7/16 socket, but not totally sure:

Here is a pic when I had the cover off......the hole in question is the lower right, beside the large dipstick hole:
April 2015 Case Repairs 905.jpg

1968 Case 580CK

Kauf......The correct fluids:

In this pic, you see 2 covers off, and a part of the 3rd cover to the right (which the seat post is bolted to).

April 2015 Case Repairs 837.jpg

Here is a pic of the 3rd cover opened up when I flushed it clean and added fresh 80/90 wt rear end oil:

April 2015 Case Repairs 347.jpg

So, this is what I recall as to what fluid goes into each one (and please correct me if I am wrong)::
3rd Chamber (all the way to the back of tractor): This takes 80/90Wt gear oil
2nd Chamber (4 speed tranny): This takes 80/90Wt gear oil
1st Chamber (Hi/Lo Range. Is this also called "Torque Tube?"): This takes Case TCH fluid (hydraulic fluid)

Note: There is another Chamber in front of these three. Here is a pic:

580CK Resto Late June 2015 191.jpg

I guess this is called the "Torque Converter?" This also takes TCH or hydraulic fluid.

Let me know if I am wrong on the above fluids.

Grady

Kauf, On mine, low range is lever up or forward and hi range is lever down.