• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1970 580ck Gets her name and surgery

onemank6

Well a lot of people name there tractors so i have been thinking of one for mine and we all know that tractors are females probably because they cost as much as a wife and with mine shes so ugly that she scares my grand kids she has to be named (MARIE LAVEAU) you ugly witch after the song.
Shes gonna get some makeup and jewelry this winter i am going to be splitting her and attempting to rebuild the torque converter and twin disc clutch and thought i would put some stuff on here to maybe help someone else out there.What did you name your tractor ??

Attachments

• DSCN0201.jpg
    DSCN0201.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,312

onemank6

DSCN0206.jpg
Notice loader arms and bucket removed i didnt want to fight them so just as easy to remove

onemank6

DSCN0205.jpg
grille removed and see i have a small leak on a suction hose and it has some of the radiator plugged up will also be removing radiator and cleaning and flushing it out

onemank6

I have had it for a few years now and it has proven its worth around here so its time to get her ready for the next 45 years

1968 Case 580CK

xpack......Wow, where in the world did you find this old CK in such great condition? Im impressed.....it looks like the original factory paint, both yellow and orange......and not all the dings, dents, and damage that most have gone through.

Has anything major ever been done to this rig? Engine rebuild, clutch, etc? This is definately one worth keeping and restoring if you have time.

I think you will be calling Dale at Tractor Stuff, or emailing him to get some good used or new parts. I see you are missing "Old Abe" on your front end between the headlights. I bought a new one, and it is such good quality that I felt it should be hung on a wall in my house instead of on the tractor.......but it made its way to the tractor:

Case 580CK Mid Sept 2015 082.jpg

Looks like your steering wheel took on some anti-aircraft 50 cal rounds......were you flying over in Syria airspace alongside that Russian SU24, and some Sea Eye A-supported terrorizst tried to blast you out of the sky? Ha ha........Dale at TractorStuff might have a good used steering wheel, or do you call it a Joystick? ha ha.

1968 Case 580CK

Since you have your grille off, did you happen to notice if those 4 large nuts that you removed, were they wearing and digging craters into the steel plate of the tractor nose clip? In this picture, I have already replaced the 4 old nuts with new ones and added large heavy duty washers under them to prevent that digging into the steel.

Pic of the 4 nuts/washers:

580CK Late August 2015 031.jpg

Looks like you have that 750 pound nose weight added under the hydrualic pump shield. Another thing to check for is mouse homes/villages built around the hydrualic pump, and clogging up the two holes. If clogged up, it can trap water and premature rust. I had a ton of nests and crapola in mine.

Another thing to check is your fan belt.....I have been told that to replace one, you have to remove the front hydraulic pump, which is a royal pain. Im thinking that I will just get one of those special order fan belts that has a link, so you can install it w/o going thru the pain and suffering.

onemank6

She didnt move when i bought it,it had lines that were bad, tires were trashed,no brakes,4 or 5 cylinders were leaking bad,wasnt charging,and more .The PO said the motor was rebuilt with 500hrs on it when i got it.I have fixed a lot on it since i have owned it and have also used it a lot and it is just a good old backhoe.The guy wanted $3800.00 for it and i gave $3100.00 and he delivered it about 140 miles for that price. I was pretty stoked about getting it for that price and kinda afraid i wasnt going to get it to move but long story short it was a .25 cent woodruff key that drives the shuttle pump of course the new gaskets ect bumped up that cost,but after i got it back together she moved and i have used it since.I suspect that the clutches are wore and i know im loosing shuttle oil at bell housing gasket and now its time to fix these issues.Im going go with another steering wheel and seat as well and would like to find a good deal on rops for it as well.
As far as nuts wearing into metal minelooks good but after reading your reply i will add washers, and i had no idea there was even a emblem between the lights cool i like it !!!thanks

Walker1

I just finished the font pump on my 530. I had to dig quite a bit of crap out of the holes. Mine is the manual clutch, so not quite as much stuff up there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,157

1968 Case 580CK

xpac......Id say you got a great deal, and I bet the hours on it are pretty low considering the age, and the PO must have stored her inside alot. Wish mine was still in the original Case orange and yellow.....good combo.

Did you know that you have a filter up in that "box" behind the grille?

ROPS......wont hurt to ask Dale at TS if he has a used ROPS.....he is out in Indianna, which is not too far from you I believe.

onemank6

Thats what i want to get mine looking like i see you put new rubber n the suction line i need to do that as well looks good !!

onemank6

Walker1 Thats what i want to get mine looking like i see you put new rubber n the suction line i need to do that as well looks good !!

1968 Case 580CK

Walker1......Good job on the pump, and the fresh paint down there. You may want to check those 4 large nuts above the pump to make sure they are not loose are rubbing away on the 1/4" metal.

I see that "Old Abe" also flew the coupe on your tractor too. Dale at TS gave me the history......an Indian had stole this eagle from its nest as a baby, and raised it and taught it to go after varmits. During the Civil War, a soldier in the Yankee army bought the eagle for $5 from the Indian (the fellers chipped in to afford him), and then took it with them on their marches from battle to battle. There are pictures on the internet of Old Abe, and the Indian who raised him.

onemank6

68 Something tells me i will be getting a hold of Dale for a few things is he a scrap yard or ???? Yea Its my shuttle filter i went with a new one when i first got it but what i did just learn the other day was about the power steering filter i had no idea there was a filter in the pump resevoir she will get a new one now that i know its there.I will most likely be all winter doing all this so pic/posts will be hit and miss.The thing that made me want this tractor was when we moved to our new house in the country we have 35 acres of woods and trees were only about 12 ft away from the house there wasnt no yard and i own a kubota L4240 with loader no backhoe that came with us and i figured that it would do what i needed to do to clear this out some and it has done a lot BUT lets just say im not impressed with it.
My new neighbor had a case 580b when i moved out here and we just hit it off when we met and he started coming back and helping me put down trees and digging stumps and i observed his 580b in action.I couldnt believe how tough of a tractor his was and he wasnt real gentle with it neither but it just kept working hard and no serious breakdowns after seeing this i knew what was in my future i quit counting trees we took out at 200 but im sure its more like 300 now this is little stuff to monster trees.
Needless to say this old girl has earned her right to live here now im pretty much done with the heavy stuff around here so now she sits more than i use her but when the heavy needs done shes the one i rely on and does whats needed.I would be lost without it.

Walker1

Walker1......Good job on the pump, and the fresh paint down there. You may want to check those 4 large nuts above the pump to make sure they are not loose are rubbing away on the 1/4" metal.

I see that "Old Abe" also flew the coupe on your tractor too. Dale at TS gave me the history......an Indian had stole this eagle from its nest as a baby, and raised it and taught it to go after varmits. During the Civil War, a soldier in the Yankee army bought the eagle for $5 from the Indian (the fellers chipped in to afford him), and then took it with them on their marches from battle to battle. There are pictures on the internet of Old Abe, and the Indian who raised him.

I am not sure that I have actually seen a Case tractor that had the Eagle emblem on it. They must have installed them with bubble gum at the factory.