• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1966 P&h 215tc

Raildudes dad

I found this site looking for info on a P&H truck crane that I bought. It's a 1966 in decent mechanical and cosmetic shape and everything works on it. Why did I buy it you ask, just because it's neat old crane and I always wanted a piece of old equipment. (Maybe this thread belongs in in the old iron section:). This was the type of crane used to build the bridges on the freeways here in town when I was growing up. One of the contractors still has his crawlers from back then.

My machine is on a FWD carrier. Does anyone know if the FWD records are still in existance? My internet search on the company doesn't produce much info other than it was absorbed into Seagraves and taken private. I've got P&H operating and parts manuals for the crane and the Chrysler flat head in the crane. I'd like to find something on the carrier and the engine (6 cylinder gas).

surfer-joe

Try asking for the manuals on one of the old iron sites. Someone may have a set laying around. You can check on Ebay too. You might consider looking for dealers that once handled the brand that may possibly still be in business. They again, might have something. Just a start.

Good Luck!

Raildudes dad

Update:) I was able to get a complete "builders file" from Seagrave. It took a while but lots of "diggin" uncovered the carrier engine to be a IHC BD308. New spark plugs, new fuel pump and a new battery and it runs like a champ. The Chrysler always has fired right up and sounds sweet (no muffler:) ) And, I finally figured out how to post photos.:)

Attachments

• P&H 215TC (2).jpg
    P&H 215TC (2).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,738

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've spent some time in the seat of one of those P&H's, been years ago. The one's I operated had Detroit engine in them. Looks like the machine is in really good shape, not a lot of rust. Nice rig.

Northart

P&h 325 tc

Here's one that was in the junk yard , gone now ???

A P&H 325 TC . Dunno what happened to it. :beatsme

Attachments

• Big Lake 021.jpg
    Big Lake 021.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,892
  • Ford Tractor 3 050.jpg
    Ford Tractor 3 050.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,564

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
I remember them

Man,..... I have set a gazillion roof trusses with these machines. We always called them mighty mites, the ones I ran were 22 ton machines. 90' main & a 40' jib. Little power houses. Direct drive,... put it in third gear and you better be ready to go. You could put the boom flat out over the side with no outriggers, knock the jib off, roll it under the boom, hook it to cables on the boom, boom up enough to get the jibs wheels off the ground and take off down the road to the next job. I'd love to have one now, (all reconditioned of course). There cheap to operate and maintain.

Raildudes dad

Yep, the 215TC is a Mighty Mite:). I believe it is the smallest TC that P&H built but I'm not sure. Mine's got a 50 foot boom and the jib was next to the barn where I bought it. The owner wanted to keep the jib because he still operates 3 - 315 TC's with jibs in Novi MI. He uses them to set wall forms. He says they're quicker than a RT hydraulic, just drive down the wall, no messing with outriggers. He only sold it to me because my plans are to restore it cosmetically (It's pretty good mechanically). He bought this one to dig a pond. I had to give him right of first refusal if I sell it:). My trucker canceled on me twice to pick it up and he was 3 hours late when he did show up. The owner said, if you had canceled this time I was going to tell you it wasn't for sale anymore. I'm really looking forward to playing with it. Last summer was a bust - too much day time job and a hassle getting new rims for the front - the old girl still has split rims:(.

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
Yep, the 215TC is a Mighty Mite:). I believe it is the smallest TC that P&H built but I'm not sure. Mine's got a 50 foot boom and the jib was next to the barn where I bought it. The owner wanted to keep the jib because he still operates 3 - 315 TC's with jibs in Novi MI. He uses them to set wall forms. He says they're quicker than a RT hydraulic, just drive down the wall, no messing with outriggers. He only sold it to me because my plans are to restore it cosmetically (It's pretty good mechanically). He bought this one to dig a pond. I had to give him right of first refusal if I sell it:). My trucker canceled on me twice to pick it up and he was 3 hours late when he did show up. The owner said, if you had canceled this time I was going to tell you it wasn't for sale anymore. I'm really looking forward to playing with it. Last summer was a bust - too much day time job and a hassle getting new rims for the front - the old girl still has split rims:(.

This is not the smallest one, they made an 18 ton as well. It was a little man too.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
We had one of those in the pile driving co I worked for. I believe it was a 1966 as well. The carrier would only get up to 45 mph down a hill if I remember, and bounce like a ball on the potholes till your stomache could hardly take any more. The crane was quite smooth on the drums. The swinger was electric, which could lead to anxious moments if you were not completely on top of your game!!!It had power down which was unique to that era. Also Ours had dogs on each brake drum whick let the operator go worry free away from the rig as the dogs were manually placed and impossible to free fall.

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
I think it was called power assist load lowering, if you didn't have it pumped up good the load would come to the ground, as in right now. Those dogs on the boom were nice you could hear them clicking as the drum turned. I saw a guy swing one of the 22 ton rigs so fast that it started bucking on the outriggers!!! I also saw his face when it started doing it and you could surely tell it wasn't a planed gig. I've never seen a crane before or since do that. The Gforce almost turned his but over. He had it in 3rd gear and them badboys will fly in 3rd.

Tugger

Hi
I have a325 TC .Its 1966 on an FWD carrier.I bought it about 12 yrs ago off a crane co. that had bought it new in 66.You guys are right they are mighty mites.Ive driven piles ,churn drilled and clammed with mine.Just have to keep up on the hydraulic systems,good thing they have those dogs.My two bits worth.
Regards
Dave

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Yeah LongBoom, I forgot about those 3 gears. Tons of torque in low gear. Mid range was my fav operating gear. 3rd was awfull fast. Had a wooden handle on the swinger, the rest were all steel!

smanning

Where did you get your operating and parts manual? I have the smaller version of your crane. I am trying to restore it but I'm having trouble finding info on it.

thanks
Scott

smanning

The 18 ton model no.

This is not the smallest one, they made an 18 ton as well. It was a little man too.

Does anyone know the model number of the 18 ton version. I was told that mine was 18 ton but I can not find a model no. anywhere. I looked up a 155tc but I saw that it was a 15 ton.