• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c Wont start

firecatf7333

Now that the battery problem was fixed, I'd like to try and fix the grapple sticking( aux hydraulics) My local case mechanic told me that I have to take apart the piece shown in picture above, and where that cylinder goes up and down, it needs to be cleaned out b/c it's prolly rusted and that's what's holding it up. I'd like to try to do it myself.

How doe that aux part come off? Take off the 4 hydraulic fittings, then it looks like there's two small bolts holding it too the bracket....then also that little pin that holds the ram(small cylinder ram that goes up/down)

Dean- I looked at the spring on the bottom and sprayed w-d but that didn't do anything. I can tell the spring isn't moving correctly though. It could also be that spring is rusted, but first i'd like to try cleaning the inside as suggested by my mechanic.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Jbullfrog

Take the 2 mount bolts out and e valve will come up we're you can work on it without disconnecting the lines. Isn't there suppose to be a die cast cap on the bottom covering that spring? I had this problem with an 1840 and replaced the cap, which is what the spring pushes against to return the valve to center.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Isn't there suppose to be a die cast cap on the bottom covering that spring?

The early models used this external spring setup.
firecat - make sure the dirt is kept away from it. Blow the spring area with compressed air & be certain it is kept clean.
There may be a little corrosion on the spool area & it may require dismantling to get it to work correctly.

firecatf7333

aux hydarlics case.jpg

I took the assembly apart. I used a chainsaw file to try and clean out the inside of cylinder/pump. I now realize I shouldn't have done this, hope it still works. I didn't have anything to fit just right inside the cylinder. I'm not sure if that's even why the grapple is sticking.

The picture shows the way I believe everything is supposed to go back together. The last piece on the bottom of the spring is rusted/broke. Is there supposed to be a small oval "cap" on each end of the spring? the top part is ok, but the part at the bottom end of the spring as you can see in picture is no longer any good.

alrman

Occupation
:eek: Do I understand correctly, You used a file inside the valve, where the spool lives?? :eek:
By the looks of your pic, you need items 6 & 7 + 10 & 11 go without saying.
The spool is likely sticking because the spring will be all cockeyed, to one side.
I hope the valve body is still OK for you.....

Attachments

• 1845c aux control valve.png
    1845c aux control valve.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

Jbullfrog

The bottom washer (part 6) is what was causing your issues. Unfortunately, if you stuck a file in the bore of the spool valve, you will probably need a new valve body. Most of the time the spring seat washers or spring are the cause of problems with the aux valve. Later 1845C's have a cover that encloses the spring to limit these issues. Get the bottom washer (part 6) and put it back together, see how bad it leaks after the file fiasco and you may not have to get a new valve.

firecatf7333

Thanks for the pics and info. I wish my mechanic would never have told me the inside of the spool valve was the problem, which is why I wanted to clean it. I'll try it and see what happens. Those valvle bodies look expensive too darn it.

Where will it leak out of? Maybe i'll get lucky I didn't put a lot of pressure on it

Last edited:

Jbullfrog

Cleaning a spool valve is usually done with a lint-free rag or rinsing it with fluid, not a file. The aux valve body may be available from a salvage yard, as it is along way from the engine fire. The valve from either 1840 or 1845C loaders will interchange.

firecatf7333

ok, this is what has happened.

I broke off the nut (5) in the main shaft(13) because I tightened to much. Got it out, then taped it. Bolt goes in main shaft but is slightly off and not perfectly straight.

I put it all back together with the new part(6), and the shaft won't push down like it's supposed to because it doesn't line up perfect to go through the opening of the new part.

I put back together with no new part, so i'm missing part 6. Now it works the way it originally did, which I can get by with.

If your sitting in the seat, when I push on right side of pedal, which will close my grapple bucket, this is when the main shaft(13) goes up, which is what its supposed to do, but then when I let off, its supposed to come back down automatically, which it doesn't do. I have to manually tap it down in the "middle" where its supposed to be.

When I open grapple bucket, or press to the left on foot pedal, it opens like it should, and when I release foot it stops. I posted video on youtube that maybe you can see

I don't see how part 6 would make the main shaft(13), come back down automatically like it's supposed to, or does that little shim put a little more pressure on spring?

When I put part 6 at bottom of spring now, the main shaft(13) can't go down all the way because the bolt(5) hits the outer edge of the new part 6, instead of slipping through that hole, correct?

EDIT EDIT EDIT----Now I see the BOLT is supposed to go on last, and I tried putting on part 6 last. Well let's try this one more time and see if that will fix my issue.

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
EDIT EDIT EDIT----Now I see the BOLT is supposed to go on last, and I tried putting on part 6 last. Well let's try this one more time and see if that will fix my issue.

:professor - "When all else fails......follow the instructions...... :rolleyes: :)