• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c lift 2500lb pallet?

sheepfoot

The first group had two 50lbs weights that could be added, then later in production it was switched to four 25lb weights attached to the rear. The thing behind the lift is most are rated at 24" from the backing plate on the forks and the distance out from that cuts back on the lift due to the tip factor, it should be close but really need the operator manual to check it against along with the tine length. Should always stay within the rated spec's and know the weight your lifting when using those machines. There should be some on here with the book or spec sheet.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Can I lift 2500lb pallets off a semi?

I would probably make up some counter weights. What's max counter weight I can use?

Are you planning on doing this on a regular basis ???? ……. there probably isn't a max concerning counter weights, but if you have too many the machine will not keep its front wheels on the ground when you are running around empty … or as in my case I have counter weight added and when i've got only my pallet forks on, I can't climb up on my trailer if the trailer is slightly sloping extra (than level, flat ground) down hill …..

I've posted in other threads about the exact machine you have, that a buddy of mine has ….. it DEFF can lift what you are asking about, but use your discretion (common sense factor) ….. cheers

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
The thing behind the lift is most are rated at 24" from the backing plate on the forks and the distance out from that cuts back on the lift due to the tip factor,

Yeah, that's one thing you really need to be aware of when operating anywhere near the edge of the envelope. The distance changes as the arms move through their arc. A couple of us, myself and another operator, had, shall we say, excursions, when unloading lumber from trucks. The machine could lift the load and raise it off the truck bed, but when lowering it, suddenly we were out of balance because the load moved just that little bit further away as the arms were lowered. Or, it might've been just that little bit of extra G force that happens when you change directions, I'm not sure. It happened pretty fast. Fortunately, in both cases, we got the load lowered quickly enough that only our pride was damaged. The point is though, that those machines will pick up more than they can handle...

On edit:

Can I lift 2500lb pallets off a semi?

Just guessing, but it sounds like you're getting ready for snowplowing season. 49 fifties of rock salt weighs, 2,450, plus the pallet. Am I right?

Last edited:

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
………….I'm not sure. It happened pretty fast. Fortunately, in both cases, we got the load lowered quickly enough that only our pride was damaged. The point is though, that those machines will pick up more than they can handle…

……… Digger ! ….. haven't got a clue What u'r talking about !!! ….. LOL ….. That's why I'm not going to mention the surgical procedure performed to have the Bcats seat removed from my BUTT …….. but I'm not going to talk about that OK …… LMFAO !!! ….. Never been there and I won't try and let that happen again either …… LOL ! …… cheers

firecatf7333

My parents burn coal, and I can get a semi load of 2500 lb pallets of bagged coal (18 pallets). I'd like to do this once a year, then I can sell the rest off and basically pay for their heat for the year. The pallets are 50, 50lb bags/.

I would remove counter weights after I unloaded coal. Whats the cheapest way to weld up some counter weight? My neighbor is a welder so he can fix something up. Any local stores like tractor supply have weights I could use? I have some circle weights you put on a bench press that I used when I was younger.

Last edited:

DeanM

Rated operating capacity 1750lb Tipping load 3545lb. I don't know how much it weighed but a lift of plywood is a little much for mine. It depends on how close you can keep the load. I find that my steel over the tire tracks increase my capacity. Anybody try fluid filled tires?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
My parents burn coal, and I can get a semi load of 2500 lb pallets of bagged coal (18 pallets). I'd like to do this once a year, then I can sell the rest off and basically pay for their heat for the year. The pallets are 50, 50lb bags/.

Ah, well. That wouldn't be the first time I'd guessed wrong. :)

Here's a thought for you--If 2500 lbs. proves to be too much for it to handle, it wouldn't be a great big deal to take 5 or 6 bags off each pallet and lighten them up by a few hundred pounds.

Whats the cheapest way to weld up some counter weight?

Not on a skidloader, but I've seen a simple box welded up out of steel, and filled with concrete.

Anybody try fluid filled tires?

There's another excursion story. I used to run a New Holland 555 for an outfit, and it had foam filled tires. They replaced them, with tires full of air, and the first time I went to load a truck, I picked up the same sized bucketful I was used to, and nearly fell on my face. Yes, fluid filled tires will help act as counterweight.

firecatf7333

Any pics or ideas on how I can weld up a counter weight? I just want the counter weight on once a year when I unload this Coal, then want to take it off as it's not needed.

I thought of a cheap way to add weight. Could I just lay 5- 70lb sand bags behind the seat up on top just in front of the rear compartment door. It wouldn't be all the way in the back but fairly close to the rear. the longer tube sand bags would just lay up there

Last edited:

firecatf7333

Well I will try to unload wed morning. I'm going to put 5 or so sand bags and lay them between rear door and seat. Think this will help much?

Delmer

Couldn't hurt to hang a couple hundred pounds off the back end, just above the ground. Set the bags on buckets, tie them to the back and pull away from the buckets. Won't that be smooth.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Couldn't hurt to hang a couple hundred pounds off the back end, just above the ground. Set the bags on buckets, tie them to the back and pull away from the buckets. Won't that be smooth.

He's gotta be careful about hanging over the back door …. that where the rad gets the air for cooling ….

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Think this will help much?

Not nearly as much as if that weight were behind the rear wheels. I'd also worry about one of the bags ripping and spilling sand in close proximity to the air filter. That wouldn't be too good...

bill onthehill

I unloaded a dozen big boxes of apples last night for my Amish neighbor. Glad he had his flashlight to direct the forks as I sure could not see them and if I stood up the damn seat switch locked the machine. By the third box we had it down. I would think he could do the coal with no problem if he let it down slow and steady. I almost nosed over mine with a skid of shingles. Ended up with 2 roofers hanging on the back and standing on the counterweight.

iceberg210

A little counterweight goes a long way especially if it's off the back, we have an Allis Chalmers forklift that can lift a bunk of densdeck, but not without the back coming off the ground UNLESS you put two to three buckets of screws behind the seat. Again who would have thought that a hundred pounds would make the difference, but you'd be surprised.

firecatf7333

I unloaded 18 Skids today. I put 490lbs of sand bags layed over back door. It went ok, but I'm not sure it would have worked without the weight. It worked as a temp for once a year when I need it, although a welded plate that I could put the bags on down below the wheels would be ideal, then just take off when i'm done. As I read and was posted on this forum before, it's not recommended and I wouldn't do this often, but I did get the job done.

Now i'll put away our coal, and load the rest on my trailer and sell it to a few local people.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I unloaded 18 Skids today. I put 490lbs of sand bags layed over back door. It went ok, but I'm not sure it would have worked without the weight. It worked as a temp for once a year when I need it, although a welded plate that I could put the bags on down below the wheels would be ideal, then just take off when i'm done. As I read and was posted on this forum before, it's not recommended and I wouldn't do this often, but I did get the job done.

Now i'll put away our coal, and load the rest on my trailer and sell it to a few local people.

Congrats on making "Mission Impossible" …… Possible !!!

Now that you've got all of the pallets on the ground you should experiment by taking one Counter weight Bag off at a time to see how much or little of a difference it made …… you'd only have to bring it a couple of feet progressing to 3'-4' off the ground, that's where the radius arc is at it's most distance forward ????

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Congrats on making "Mission Impossible" …… Possible !!!

Now that you've got all of the pallets on the ground you should experiment by taking one Counter weight Bag off at a time to see how much or little of a difference it made …… you'd only have to bring it a couple of feet progressing to 3'-4' off the ground, that's where the radius arc is at it's most distance forward ????

Just be sure to rember if moving with weight off the ground stoppin or backing up will cause weight to shift forwards!