• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

14M can't steer fully to the left

Sameh

14M grader has a problem as when I steer to the right it responds and steer to the full right but when I steer left, it can't steer fully. Has somebody faced a likely problem? See the attached video, please.

Sameh

Hello Nige, I got the solution. I checked the LH position sensor of steering, it was failed.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There were so many updates on those machines for steering problems that only someone like Nige with access to SYS can provide a likely direction to look. That is if a serial number is provided.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There were so many updates on those machines for steering problems that only someone like Nige with access to SYS can provide a likely direction to look. That is if a serial number is provided.
Actually the majority of the steering updates related to the control system, including the famous actuator that was updated 4 times, and software updates.

There has only ever been one update to the steering cylinders themselves, to remove the need for E-Trim files for the position sensors. That was in 2016. The nearest others to that area was improvement in the steering cylinder mounting plate in the front axle to address the issue of wallowing out the bore where the spherical bearing is mounted. Also there was the development and release of guards to fit over the steering cylinders & hydraulic hoses to address issue of operators who insisted on burying the front axle in dirt, believing the grader had the pile-pushing ability of a D6......

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I can't speak to the updates but have memories many problems through out the machines. When they came out there was a calibration issue where you got fault codes until you cycled the front wheels to both stops. Then the cold weather issue came up and the wheel movement would lag the steering wheel movement and then at times the steering wheel would lock up and then it was too sensitive with the machine moving at speed and operators would be afraid they would end up off the road and then there were leaking cylinders and then I left the dealership for other reasons.

Sameh

My first thought was that someone had replaced a steering cylinder and had not re-calibrated the position sensor. If you have a bad sensor (are you 100% sure it is definitely a sensor and not a wiring problem?) and need to replace it then the new sensor will have to be calibrated.
Yes, Nige. I checked the power and the signal at harness, it was reached as specs. I swapped the harnesses betn left and right cylinders, the code transfered to the other cylinder.