• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140-H getting hot

finisher

I just had my machine overhauled and when I process material it gets hot and the warning lights come on
All new fluids were put back in the machine. I got it hot enough to where the motor oil got in the coolant. I changed out the oil cooler yesterday.
I’m gonna work it today to see if helps. I’m sure looking for suggestions

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I see your point, but if you start digging too deep into the machine yourself is that not going to void the warranty they gave you on the rebuild..?
What exactly is getting hot..? Coolant, transmission, hydraulic system, or all three..?
Do you have an infra-red thermometer to shoot temperatures..?
A machine Serial Number would be a good help.

finisher

APM 02921 ser#
The only warning lights come on is the engine temp
The temps I took with the infrared were all about 200-210 The cooler temps when finegrading are 170-180

Nige

If you're in AZ what's the ambient temp during the day time..? 100+ would be my guess.
Can you shoot the temp of the coolant hose that goes into the top of the radiator and the one that comes out the bottom and post the results..?
Was the radiator part of the machine overhaul and if so do you know what was done to it..?
Fan belts in good shape..? Properly tensioned..?

Reactions: DB2

finisher

I’m working in West Texas
Temps are 95-105 at times
The radiator was part of the overhaul
We just changed out the oil cooler, the shop suggested it
Didn’t help the heating issue

Nige

Okay ......
How many hours has the machine operated since the rebuild..?
Any idea what the shop did to the radiator..? Re-core it, flush & inspect, etc, etc..? If not can you ask them..?
But if you had engine oil (it was black, right..?) in the cooling system then a cooler would have been one logical place for it to get there. There are others.
Has the machine had this overheating problem right since you got it back from the rebuilders, or has it slowly developed..?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Those temps would usually be considered normal, especially with warm ambient temps. Checking the sensor might be in order before spending a lot of money on transport or other parts.

finisher

The radiator was cleaned and tested. The heating issue has been there since it came out of the shop.
I’m talking with a few other good mechanics and we’re starting to think the fan motor may be failing or getting weak. It’s been on there for 19000 hours. The first thing I tried was a new coolant temp sensor