• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

13?

skyking1

it was really unclear if he hit the other two vehicles first, or what happened. I picture a couple of drivers seeing the bison and stopping, and the truck plowing through the whole mess. I didn't realize you don't get the shiny eyes from them like you do the deer. That's a scary little detail.

terex herder

I've traveled that road this time of year. I'm thinking the road surface was 6" of snow pack so speeds were low. It shouldn't have been that difficult to see those wooly cows against a white background. A bison is a pretty solid animal, I agree there had to be substantial damage even at low speed. Since it was a herd probably no big bulls, just cows and yearlings. The bulls don't hang with the cows unless its mating time.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I've seen a semi (stock transporter) clean up a flock of sheep in the late 1970's, that were being herded up a road with no warning signage. The semi was doing over 100kmh (62mph) when he came around the curve in the road. He had no way of avoiding the flock, the road didn't have wide shoulders, so he just went straight through them.
The flock contained about 340 sheep, the semi killed over 200 of them. Talk about a "bloodbath"! There were sheep carcasses for hundreds of metres. The worst part for the farmer (he was a client of mine), they were all top quality breeding ewes, and sheep prices were high at that time.
He admitted he was a fool for not putting out warning signs, he just thought the traffic would be light on a Sunday, they only saw a handful of cars a day on that road, even during the week.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've been on that stretch of highway. There are some long straightaway stretches with blind curves at the ends so I can understand what happened. There are also signs all over warning of wildlife on the highway and to slow down for it. Last time we drove it we saw deer, elk and bison all within ten miles of the town of West Yellowstone.

IMG_0979.jpg

terex herder

There are stories from the 1800's of bison derailing steam locomotives. Sometimes the train would have to wait for hours for a herd to clear the tracks.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There is a small zoo there in West Yellowstone that has two or three grizzly bears, several wolfs, eagles, small preditors and vultures that can use a fair portion of that meat. Problem is the grizzly bears might be in hibernation till April.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Moose are like that here. They travel alone, but if you hit one, you're going out on the wrecker. Their eyes don't glow either. Something else for protesters to blame trucks for. Watched a video of protesters drilling holes in truck tires in the UK for hauling milk and exploiting cows.