• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

01 Cummins, acts weird when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

06bowtie_guy

Little info on the truck, 01 Dodge Ram, Cummins with approx 147K miles on it.

When it's cold out he starts the truck and it idles ok but if you attempt to raise the rpm at all it makes a horrible noise like a miss, blows crazy amounts of white smoke out the tail pipe. Holding it to the floor only gave 2200 RPM. Then it would drop down to about 1600RPM on it's own while still holding the go pedle to the floor. If you then let off the pedle and get back onto it it would raise rpm again and drop off. Seems weird for it to be hunting like that and not wanting to rev up.

After the truck warms up it seems to run OK.

Anyone got ideas? Exhaust rotted off so the only mods are a 4" cat back. It's a company plow truck.

Thanks.

Cavalo

Occupation
Dependant backhoe contractor for provincial natura
I had a very similar problem with my ford diesel, and it was not getting enough air, I had a bra on the front of the truck and it covered the opening to the air intake and it popped and banked and alot of white smoke as well. The only thing is why is it doing only when it is cold?? Still it may be an air intake problem........
Cavalo

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I git the shivers when I think about revving a cold engine to full throttle...........no wonder it doesn't run well.I agree on the starving for fuel diagnosis and the lift pump seems to be the first thing that folks think of when fuel is a problem with the diesel Dodges.Bear in mind that moisture in the fuel system in cold weather is a common problem with any diesel fuel system and diesel also gels after a certain temperature is reached as was mentioned earlier.Once the engine warms up the ice in the lines/filters that was restricting the fuel flow will melt and allow full flow again.
There are chemicals to treat the fuel and sediment bowls etc to drain periodically on most diesel equipment to help control fuel problems.The old Caterpillar fuel caps on the fuel tanks used to say "Buy clean fuel,keep it clean".ROP will remember that.The reversable fans on the big equipment did more than keep the operator warm,it also helped keep the fuel flowing in freezing weather.Ron G:)

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
There's a good possibility that your fuel is gelling up. How cold we talkin?

06bowtie_guy

Yesterday it was about 37*F outside. Really felt damp thought as were in a warm spell. We are above average right now but also just came out of a cold spell where at night it would hit -13*F. Didn't warm up too much during the day either, 14*F.

bolt thrower

Occupation
Tractor Fixer
Sounds like a normal running 01 cummins. Does it run good when its warm? I've yet to see a diesel of any make that accelerates cleanly when cold.

06bowtie_guy

Went and talked with my buddy and their mechanic today. They have tried fuel conditioner. Replaced the lift pump. Fuel filter is pretty new, been changed a few times. Picked the truck up down south and when they went to pick it up it was already running waiting for them. :eek:

Before the truck is totally warm you can be driving down the road when all of a sudden it loses speed/rpm. Turn the truck off, restart and you are good to go again for a bit of time. Some night the truck will go out plow flawlessly others it's a PITA untill it's warm. :beatsme

What's the electrical system like on these trucks?? Would be nice to try it out with a scanner hooked up to check injection pressure and timming.

AK20

Occupation
Operator, State of Alaska DOT

I would seriously consider trying the second link that Pete posted, I've been a member over at cummins forum for awhile and all those guys have tons of knowledge on CTDs...imagine this forum, but just for Dodge diesels:cool: They also have sub-forums for each generation of trucks so you can single out info base on your specific truck.

06bowtie_guy

Deff going to check out those sites. I'm a member over on the diesel place which is kick butt for duramax. Imagine those are the same quality for cummins.

Any suggestions keep em comming. Will post anything I figure.

02Dmax

sounds like you've got electronic issues or just need a new injection pump. those engines have a VP44 pump and they're ok, but they won't take much abuse. Electronic issues have been known to fry those pumps. good luck. another good website is competitiondiesel.com

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
cold start.

I have the same truck and Ive had them from 1993 on up. I would definatly change your fuel filter, however It is the nature of the beast. Make sure you plug it in.I believe that in 01 they should have already fixed the lift pump problem,but I keep telling myself to add a fuel pressure gauge in my pillar.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
IAT sensor is dirty. This is a sensor a the very back of the intake on the drivers side of the engine.

The IAT sensor is the "Intake Air Temperature" It senses the temperature of the air in the intake. When it is cold, the IAT will tell the ECM to cycle the grid heater to heat up the incoming air.

You can pull the sensor out, and clean it with contact cleaner. It takes a 37mm socket to remove. It is a bit of a bear to get to. If cleaning it does not work, it can be replaced for about $80.

Some links to good resources:

www.dieselram.com - I am a member, and there is alot of knowledge there, and family friendly.

www.dodgeram.org - a technical site with a wealth of information on all the Dodge Rams

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
yep yep

Landrvmutt makes a great point. With out that intake heater you will get one hell of a mess of smoke. I thought about it after my reply the other day about the nature of the beast...My truck now doesnt smoke at 32 deg...My 93 did smoke and If I dont plug either of them in for that intake heater or start it without waiting for the start light....we are killing some bugs baby.

mdnbike

Sorry for posting under this thread I am a new user and haven’t made the 3 post yet.
I am working on a 04 Ford F150 with a cat engine. The truck starts vary hard I must use starting fluid to get it going, then the truck will not idol
I have to keep it revving high or it will stall. Looking for a list of possibilities

Thanks

texascadillac42

You have an 04 F150 (1/2 ton pickup) with a Cat (presumably diesel) engine in it? PICS? That would make an awesome little truck. Do you have any details on the swap, specs of the motor, what transmission you used?

Ive got a 99 F350 with an old 12V Cummins in it, but this sounds like a sweet ride in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.