• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working with your Father.

nedly05

How many of you work with your Father? I do and while most of the time we get along really well, some days it seems like we speak a different language. I've been working for my Dad for going on 9 years, and I really enjoy it, but those bad days really suck. It never seems to be a quality of work thing, it's always a communication problem. It seems like everyone I talk to says they "could never work with there Dad" How do the rest of you make out? Does it seem like somedays you are the root of all of there problems? Let's here some of your "workin' with the ole' man stories"

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
When I started off in the buisness I did. Then i went on my own and my father helped me piece my junk box equipment back together until I had enough money to buy new stuff. Now he manages all the equipment, from service intervals to knowing where every road plate is.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
From the time I was a lil kid(not too long ago) I loved going with dad, spending hours apon hours riding on the bulldozer or playing gofer. As is with most work, when I was young it was all fun and a great day to be with dad working. As I got older(teen years) I was doing more and more but somtimes his way and my way didn't jive(although more times than not, they did get to the same outcome). Him and I would have a WAR for about 5 mins and then usually cause hes the boss, I would do it his way and that was all there was too it, nothing personal just he was the boss and its his way. We have fought about everything from how to mow the yard(his yard) to how the bucket on the excavator needed to be laid down on the lowboy. When it came to moving dirt or figuring math stuff I NEVER argued with him(don't know why i did on the other stuff) as he had over 30 years in doing it and learned from his uncle who has over 50 years. There were many days that I was happy to be alone and just be able to do a project and when he showed up to check on me it was done and he was happy with it. Even working with my grandpa, whom should have retired years ago, was for the most part enjoyable. Really only in the last few years he was able to work was he more of a job to keep cleaned up after him than what the project was. Those days are past us, as after 60 years we have closed our earthmoving business, dad is the Highway Comishoner, my uncle Harvey has retired and myself I am running heavy equipment for a Concrete and gravel company. There have been man days which I loved when I was not around dad and able to do my own thing, but when problems or questions arised he was the first person I called. I don't want to sound like a sap but it has been extremly tough the past few months getting used to not working with him everyday and getting the AXX chewings or the compliments of a job well done. I suppose its just part of life and its hard to take change but I will deal with it and hold those memories in photos and in my mind(might have to write a book like KoO).
Trbo

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Yea I work with my dad too and we have our moments too. Usually we fight because now that I'm older I see things in different ways etc and have different ideas but he is still the boss, so he usually wins, but sometimes we go my way on things. It is definatly a eventful workplace sometimes.

nedly05

From the time I was a lil kid(not too long ago) I loved going with dad, spending hours apon hours riding on the bulldozer or playing gofer. As is with most work, when I was young it was all fun and a great day to be with dad working. As I got older(teen years) I was doing more and more but somtimes his way and my way didn't jive(although more times than not, they did get to the same outcome). Him and I would have a WAR for about 5 mins and then usually cause hes the boss, I would do it his way and that was all there was too it, nothing personal just he was the boss and its his way. We have fought about everything from how to mow the yard(his yard) to how the bucket on the excavator needed to be laid down on the lowboy. When it came to moving dirt or figuring math stuff I NEVER argued with him(don't know why i did on the other stuff) as he had over 30 years in doing it and learned from his uncle who has over 50 years. There were many days that I was happy to be alone and just be able to do a project and when he showed up to check on me it was done and he was happy with it. Even working with my grandpa, whom should have retired years ago, was for the most part enjoyable. Really only in the last few years he was able to work was he more of a job to keep cleaned up after him than what the project was. Those days are past us, as after 60 years we have closed our earthmoving business, dad is the Highway Comishoner, my uncle Harvey has retired and myself I am running heavy equipment for a Concrete and gravel company. There have been man days which I loved when I was not around dad and able to do my own thing, but when problems or questions arised he was the first person I called. I don't want to sound like a sap but it has been extremly tough the past few months getting used to not working with him everyday and getting the AXX chewings or the compliments of a job well done. I suppose its just part of life and its hard to take change but I will deal with it and hold those memories in photos and in my mind(might have to write a book like KoO).
Trbo
Trbo,
Did you have an option to take the biz over? Sounds like some of these may be typical Dad/Son problems:)

Yea I work with my dad too and we have our moments too. Usually we fight because now that I'm older I see things in different ways etc and have different ideas but he is still the boss, so he usually wins, but sometimes we go my way on things. It is definatly a eventful workplace sometimes.

How many guys do you have working? Do you run your own job or work with a crew? With us it's just the two of us doing 4 guys work, so sometimes thing get eventfull for us too!

rino1494

I'm in the same boat. My old man is stuck in his ways and doesn't like to hear my ideas. He also won't admit when I was right :pointhead

I've been working for him since I was 14. Hopefully, someday, I'll be the boss.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Trbo,
Did you have an option to take the biz over? Sounds like some of these may be typical Dad/Son problems:)

How many guys do you have working? Do you run your own job or work with a crew? With us it's just the two of us doing 4 guys work, so sometimes thing get eventfull for us too!

I could have taken it over with full support from my dad if that is what I wanted to do but it would have left me by myself. We had been running for the most part a 4 man operation and my uncle and grandpa were both retiring. Looking at the cost of machine replacement, insurance(underground and health for me) and finding employees that would work for less money than elsewhere(its just hard to pay hired help and find good ones that will work for less money). In the long run I know what I am doing is the best thing for me and my soon to be wife but I still miss it. I do have the option to go back and do my own thing as everything in the biz was paid for and we still have some equpiment, and our shop etc. See what happens.
Trbo

DigDug

This reminds me of a friend who was telling me that him and his father argue all the time when working. I want to tell you guys the same thing that i told him , from the other side of the fence. "At least you have a father to work with." My parents were seperated when i was young and my father moved out of state. I only saw my father rarely off and on over 30yrs. He passed away this summer and i hadnt seen him for at least 15yrs . It really would have been neat having him see my business grow and helping out , as he was a great mechanic. So those of you who argue with your father think about it twice before you part ways .

lgammon

some days it is good and some are bad but, our fathers will only be here for a short time we better spend all the time we can with them while they are still around. i have found that arguing with the old man just pisses us both off. and that if i say somthing softly once that he listens more than if i make a point of it. i have a brother that won't even talk to dad, lucky to see each other once a year. i work with dad every day. it kills the old man that my brother acts like that and talks about it alot, then on the other hand i get an ass chewing for beeing 10 mins late for work. i was thinking about this the other day when we were both on loaders and i am so glad i get to spend this time with him. some times you just have to listen to them cause they know more than you do weather or not you are man enough to admit it

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
I might work with a crew one day drive a dump truck the next or be running a machine by myself somewhere another it varies day to day usually. I work with him mainly on equipment maintance and fleet maintance in the shop. even though we argue sometimes I wouldn't change a thing, I love working with my dad, if I didn't start working with him when I was young, I wouldn't even have known him as thats where he spends 85% of his life is at work.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I never tried to make a living working with my Dad, but I worked with him on projects all throughout my life. We had our ups and downs together but he is the one that instilled my work ethic in me. I lost him only a year after starting my business, I like to think he'd be proud of what I've done. Make the most of your time with your Dads, I'd do just about anything to have more time with mine.

jmac

I agree 100% Steve. My dad was an engineer for GE so he retired at 55, he is now 75. Never worked with him and moved to another town after school. I started my excavation thing at a ripe age of 39 after owning a completely different company. I think he is proud of what I have done, no, I know he is, but we can't talk shop because he has no idea what I am talking about. I have a 16 year old son that has great grades (I don't think he got the smarts from me, could be from my dad) and wants to be a doctor; I think he can do it. He has no interest in moving dirt. I just don’t spend enough time, like most, with my father, wish I could spend more. Working with your dad daily, even if you disagree would be ok with me, and should be ok with you guys. I think most of you guys that work with your father, remember this, when he instructs you on how to do this or that , rite or wrong, I think most of the time he trying to help you.

nedly05

Great replys guys, yesterday was "one of those days" but today was fine, just like nothing ever happened. The best thing is that we never hold a grudge against each other, it seems like when I get pissed off he can't help but laugh at me, or vice versa. I am glad to see that I am not alone.

IH PULR

My Father and i worked to gather for 10 years and then he had a stroke when we worked together it was tough sometimes but looking back i learned more from him on those tough days than any school can teach you so enjoy the good days and bad days while you can still work side by side with him and learn from him ,because the time may come when when you have to act more like the parent that the child .

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I got my dad into landscaping, more or less. When I was 17, a handful of my buddies and myself used to do a lot of downhill mountain bike racing. I was at one of the last races of the year, took a good spill after I overshot a landing, and broke my arm in 2 places. My dad, who was currently unemployed after spending 25 years in a fairly well paying sales job, figured he'd handle my 20 lawns for me. One of my customers had a house on the lake but lived in Seattle. He was a home builder and was building a spec house about 1/4 mile from my parent's house as a chance to make some coin in another market. Dad said "Guess I can handle this job" and wham, we were born. Since then, we jumped into excavation last year and did well, but dad decided he couldn't handle that business without me (still in college 160 miles away). So he sold the larger equipment and still does landscaping/hardscaping. He could have easily retired at 48 when he was laid off his sales job, but he's 55 now and the choice was clear.

There were days where I wanted to do things my way and he'd do them the other. The funny thing is, I know more of what I'm talking about when it comes to this kind of work. I don't think my dad ran our 312 more than about 15 hours in the 300 hours that we had it, but I loved it when he'd try and tell me how to do something. I'd always remind him of this when he'd come out to a site and see what was going on, I was more or less running the show, but he'd come out and take a look at what was going on and have no clue as to what I was talking about, get in his truck, and take off.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
My dad owns a residential construction outfit and also farmed when I was preteen. I work for him until I turned 18 except if there wasn't much inside work in the winter. I would get another job since it got dark so early and so I wasn't out in the cold. We never had disagreements he knew his stuff, but I did have a few better ideas through the years. He was always more then willing to give them a try if they sounded good, but if not that was the end of it. It was always the kind of unspoken plan for me to take over for him. At 16 I decided he put way to much effort running his biz, and I didn't want all of that pressure. So that was it he never said anything about my decision, but I know he was disappointed in some way that I didn't take over.

dayexco

my son is soon to be 28, been with me since he was 14 summer months, full time since he got his degree in const. management. we have our "moments"....but he's been nothing short of a Godsend to me. there is nobody his age within a 200 mile radius with the job knowledge or the respect he's earned from competitors, engineers, architects, and owners of projects....i learned long ago, sometimes you just gotta pick your battles.

nedly05

my son is soon to be 28, been with me since he was 14 summer months, full time since he got his degree in const. management. we have our "moments"....but he's been nothing short of a Godsend to me. there is nobody his age within a 200 mile radius with the job knowledge or the respect he's earned from competitors, engineers, architects, and owners of projects....i learned long ago, sometimes you just gotta pick your battles.

Thanks for the reply day, It's good to hear from someone on "the other end of the spectrum"

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Let's add a little twist too things.How many of you have daughters,or wifes(other them working in office or bookkeeping) who helps you?

By the way i didn't have a son ,just daughter.Great kid ,but not into dirtwork.

Does relation and helpers count? Had a nephew that i helped get started in construction,who by the way his dad (my brother got me started).

My nephew is now up too forman where he works,so must have gotten him started off on the right foot some?Plus his dad did a great job.Used me for an example:D !!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your family all you can your health, and them, is what really counts as far as i'm concerened.:usa

ReedTal

I started working with my Dad when I was big enough to reach the pedals and strong enough to pull the levers on an old Lorain shovel. From my early teens through high school I worked with him whenever I could. When I graduated from high school in 1977 I went to work with the family excavating business full time. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer he began signing over his share of the business to me. When he died in 1990 I could no longer stand to work with the rest of the family. When they refused to buy me out of my share I left and moved on - now I'm involved in the logging and sawmill industry. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. We fought like cats and dogs but at the end of the day the job was done right and was something we were proud of. You guys still working with your dads should do your best to work things out every day. Do the job - do it right - and be proud of what you do. My 2 cents Thanks