• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why no drillers

skagit

Occupation
Operator
Are there no drillers here?

I would be interested in reading from water well and geothermal drillers.
Maybe that doesn't fall under heavy equipment? :beatsme

I find deep down in the earth to be more fascinating then what lays on the surface is all.

Very curious.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Always wondered that myself skagit, where they at? :)

What you can't see in the ground does make your work interesting at times. Had a fellow once ask me at the beginning of a horizontal drilling job how long it would take me to complete the job. I said "it depends". He asked "how's that?" I replied "ask a carpenter how long it will take to build Y x Z house and he can pretty much tell you 'cause he can see what he's working with. What's in the ground is different, God built this mountain, I have no idea what he put in there." :tong

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X3 I'm always interested in drilling stories

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Always wondered that myself skagit, where they at? :)

What you can't see in the ground does make your work interesting at times. Had a fellow once ask me at the beginning of a horizontal drilling job how long it would take me to complete the job. I said "it depends". He asked "how's that?" I replied "ask a carpenter how long it will take to build Y x Z house and he can pretty much tell you 'cause he can see what he's working with. What's in the ground is different, God built this mountain, I have no idea what he put in there." :tong

Well sat AT....Always remember dad telling people how hard it was to just go out on a project(without knowing the full story of whats under) and bid it. That is where rock clauses, and change orders come in. You never know what is underneath you until you dig right there.

yes agree come on drillers!!

Trbo

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I do small dia rock drilling. And aslo do soil drilling for smaller casions.

Attachments

• 297.c.jpg
    297.c.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 923
  • 61 5th Ave. NY, NY 013.c.jpg
    61 5th Ave. NY, NY 013.c.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 927

Tiny

I don't drill but have seen others do it.............

Attachments

• a drill.jpg
    a drill.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 898
  • a drill a.jpg
    a drill a.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 907
  • a drill b.jpg
    a drill b.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 890
  • a drill c.jpg
    a drill c.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 905

heavylift

drilling fits so many different categories ..
maybe they should add a forum..

It could be for blasting... foundations... utilities .. or even as shoring...

worked around all types ... the auger cast shoring wall is different... worked in and around a lot of the auger cast walls ... labors don't like them.. because they have to clean the round part out as you dig down... don't want any chunks of dried clay.. hit anyone in the head..

Tiny

Glad you said blasting ,Remembered one more.

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 904

heavylift

blasting I remember quite well...
I'm sure I have mentioned it here before... But a gunship circling a trencher is a bit scary...

moron set a stick of Tovex off .. above ground... probably a quarter mile from a Titan II Missile Silo... in an area where we couldn't blast...
_______

norite

A forum on drilling would be very interesting. Lots of threads/subforums possible under that: waterwell, blasting, dewatering, geo-testing, pole setting, pile installation, grouting, rockbolting, ....

"Build it and they will come"

Last edited:

ke6gwf

I have a few drilling 48" by ~30' holes for CMS sign foundations along Highway 280 between San Fransisco and San Jose.
I was on the hoe and hauling between sites. We did 2 sites a day; bore, drop the cage and bolts in, have CHP shut the freeway down so the snorkel pump truck could pull a 3 point turn on the freeway, then pour while we were setting up at the next site.
I also have some video which I might upload to youtube.

P1080179.JPG P1080210.JPG P1080212.JPG P1080218.JPG

This picture is right after the rig almost tipped over when an outrigger punched into the ground while trying to pick the cage up a bit further out. I had to use the hoe to get it closer. I happened to be running video when it started going...
P1080228.JPG

Ben~

Last edited:

ke6gwf

P1080244.JPG

I thought about measuring between the mast and the heavy power lines, but I didn't want to get as close as the mast was! (and that isn't as close as it got either)

P1080245.JPG P1080247.JPG P1080248.JPG P1080250.JPG

Last edited:

ke6gwf

And some more...
P1080257.JPG

A few weeks later (less than a week after we finished down there) there was a 1000' fireball right down the road when the San Bruno gas line exploded. (no, I was nowhere near it!)

P1080258.JPG

It was fun trying to keep the dirt off the freeway. Nobody had thought to bring any plywood, and when he would spin the auger to empty it, it would throw a few pieces over the K-rail. For some of it I would set my bucket on the top of the rail to try to deflect as much as possible. Caltrans seemed not to like gravel flying into 60+ mph traffic.

It was great watching them hook the strap to the cage by shackling each end to a couple of the main vertical sticks. You know the way, where it is only the tie-wire and a little friction that is actually holding the weight? (~4k)
If I was off the hoe helping I would at least wrap it so it looped both the vertical and the spiral. I don't know if that is proper rigging (any input?) but it was better than the other way! :)

P1080261.JPG
P1080263.JPG

Another giant hole we bored... 36"x9'
P1080426.JPG

I got more pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/benablackburn/HEF#

Some I have posted, more I am going to post as I find the right spots, and I have a metric tonne more to upload still.
I got Ritche Bros auction yard, SF Bay bridge shots including on the dock under the wimpy crane, paving, grinding, night work, equipment tie down how-to's and how-not-to's, lowboy and tilt bed loads and overloads, and cats (the furry kind.. :) )

Ben~

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I have done some drilling for to install and inspect piers when I worked for a foundation company. We had a few dangle drills and our big one was mounted on a JD490. IIRC our big auger was 36" or so. I only had a week in the seat the first time a I had to lower an inspector down into a shaft I dug to inspect a pier. I was seating bullets and if the inspector know how green I was he would of been too. I only work there a couple months before I got the job offer that took me out to Socal.

Nac

Occupation
Construction

Yosemite

Occupation
Electronics Technician/Wireline Operator
Well... I may not be a driller, but since the original poster mentioned geothermal, I thought i should pipe in.
I'm with a well logging company that works very closely with a drilling company, drilling high temp/high pressure geothermal wells, mostly directional drilling, both for domestic heating and electricity generation. The hottest well ever logged was over 385°C at a depth of 2800m.

heavylift

it's hotter in f degrees 725 :)

and deep almost 9200 feet

I could use some of the heat right now... it in the 20'fs during the night here... but that's probably a heat wave in Iceland