• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

who makes the BEST dozer

Qadir

Hi, I am a new member of your community. my question is this that what is the undercarriage and how it could be checked? and what it means when they says U/C50%
or less and also is it most expensive job. Thanks. qadir.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Welcome to HEF Qadir :drinkup

Dont mind the kids...
They act up every now and then...
:cool:

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Ran a D8L at work this week a little, gotta love the old Cats. Don't know what year she is, but she still pushes pretty good. It ain't an R or a T, but gets the job done.

I'd still prefer an R just for diff. steer and more ponies, but hey, run what's given to you.

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
Qadir, I believe what ROP ( since you're new here, thats short for roll over pete) was saying was welcome to the forum. Also that there are a few posts that may have a difference of opinion, or may not be very credible or agreeable for that matter. Sometimes makes you wonder what some might be doing here, but we try and make everybody feel welcome.

In answer to your question, another word for undercarriage would be "tracks" such as on a dozer or an excavator. Mostly made of all steel, some are part rubber, and start to wear out from the first day in the dirt. When you see 50% u/c that means its worn out about half way. Some parts of an u/c can be changed at 25, 50 and 75% such as pins, bushings. rollers and sprocket segments because they wear out faster than things like pads and chains. And yes in the end it is a pretty expensive job, especialy when its time to replace everything and start from scratch. What line of work are you in? .....Im guessing you dont work with track machines much?

Last edited:

Deas Plant

Undercarriage - most expensive.

Hi, Qadir.
Firstly, welcome to the forum. In fact, a special welcome because we don't get too many people here with Arabic/middle Eastern names or from that part of the world, which I'd guess is where you originally came from. Just a guess though.

The undercarriage is what any track-mounted vehicle or machine runs on. It includes any rollers, idlers, sprockets, track chains, rubber track belts, track frames and any suspension mechanism within the track system. Undercarriages wear at different rates in different soils or rocks and also with different operators.

Operating speed and the work being done also play a big part in how long an undercarriage or its various parts will last. Sharp turns, changes of direction, a lot of running in reverse - especially at speed - and rough ground will cause an undercarriage to wear much more quickly than it would if the tractor was used for plowing or cultivating on a farm with long straight runs in softer ground.

The three most expensive repair items on crawler tractors are engines, transmissions and tracks, not necessarily in that order, Regular checking of tracks for wear and doing the recommended maintenance at the specified wear limits can save big money in repair costs over the life of the machine.

Hope this helps.

Tony

There's no "950" sized Komatsu with Hydrostatic Drive...

Squizzy,

The Komatsu loader you referred to in your last post cannot be the equivalent of the 950. The WA380-6 is the current equivalent of the 950H, and it is still T/C drive. The next size down is the WA320-6, (equal to a 938), and it is the largest of the Komatsu hydrostatic drive loaders.

Funny, but we've sold tons of the 320-5's and 6's with hydro drive, and wheel spin has never been an issue. Is your operator using the TCS control switch? It makes a big difference.

Best,
Tony

Qadir

Hi,
What is the difference in between Cat Graders 14 series and 140 series and which one is better for the performance.

Thanks.
qadir..

Deas Plant

Cat 14 Vs Cat 140 grdaer

Hi, Qadir.
The Cat 14G grader was the next model up from the Cat 140G grader. Then Cat went to the 'H' series and confused the issue by introducing another model into the line-up, the Cat 160H grader, which comes between the 140H and the 14H.

Now Cat have introduced the 'M' series graders and the same models occupy the same positions in the product list. See this link:

http://australia.cat.com/cda/layout?m=234506&x=7

Hope this helps.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have been at it for just a bit over years with Cat grandpa. It should tell everyone something grandpa........PERIOD!!!!!

ronnie

this is an argument for the ages some like cat and some like komatsu i like the 1 that pays the most it'sall in the company the last company i worked for used small komatsu dozers to finish d39's and a new d51 all good tractors and the company i work for now well they use cat for everything i could care less a dozer is just that a dozer you do your job
cm1995 said anybody worth his salt will tell you cat is the best but it's like this ANYBODY WORTH HIS SALT will get on what ever the company has and do his job just the same i could care less what kind of tractor it is unless its a case they really stink

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Ronnie, for you as the hired operator that can be your opinion.

Here, I am the guy that has to buy it, pay for it, get the work for it, maintain it and fix it. Around here Cat turns out to give the best bang for the buck day in, day out, month in, month out, and year in, year out.

special tool

Ronnie, for you as the hired operator that can be your opinion.

Here, I am the guy that has to buy it, pay for it, get the work for it, maintain it and fix it. Around here Cat turns out to give the best bang for the buck day in, day out, month in, month out, and year in, year out.

Bur Greg - didn't you say that your 450 Deere was the best tractor you ever owned?
:D

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Special Tool,

Obviously you have not read my posts on Crawler Loaders and a few other places here where I cussed and discussed and compared Deere's hydraulics, leaks, miserable rotten design in terms of being able to work on, and so on and so on and so on. The 450 that is here in my opinion is a miserable rotten little SOB with a lot of short comings in the hydraulics and the lack of thought in the design department when it comes to working on them. Like I said before. The hydraulics are like that of an F16 fighter. Run it two hours, fix leaks on it six and cuss and swear at it when you do. The factory feed lines from the reservoir to the pump are a disaster and so it goes.