• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What the best snow plow

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
What kind of snow plow do u guys like the best? Looking to put one a f250 and 2500 chevy. What the going rate per hour on trucks and salt?

Northart

Pickup Snowplow

Western is by far the leading brand up here, for pickups. 90+ % I'd say. :usa

Meyers, Fischer are the others, with these new clear plastic ones, showing up on the midsized pickups.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Any of the expandable plows, Blizzard, Western or Fisher will increase your production at least 30% over a straight blade. The extra cost is quickly made up in increased production.

Rates will depend entirely on your market. Around here hired trucks make about $60/$65 and hour. I make much more than that with my truck on my own route.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Any of the name brands like BOSS, FISHER, WESTERN, BLIZZARD are good. The best one in your area would be the one that has the best supporting dealer.

deere88

Western is by far the toughest, heavyest, and has the best mounting system.

Boss and Fisher plows are heavy duty too.

Stay away from meyer, curtis, snow-way, blizzard, and any of the other cheap brands.

I have an 8ft western pro plus on my f250 psd. It works great and hasnt broke down yet. knock on wood.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Absolutely the best one is the you can get parts for in the middle of the night.

If you run Meyers, you just go to your own garage and pull the parts off the shelf, cause you already know to keep plenty of spares.

Colorado Digger

We get $95.00 an hour for a 1 ton with a 9' fisher and 2.o yd sander. Sand is $50.00 P/ton. $95.00 an hour on Bobcat s300's with cab, heat and snow bucket. $145 an hour on a komatsu wa 180 with bullplow

PSDF350

Western is by far the toughest, heavyest, and has the best mounting system.

Boss and Fisher plows are heavy duty too.

Stay away from meyer, curtis, snow-way, blizzard, and any of the other cheap brands.

I have an 8ft western pro plus on my f250 psd. It works great and hasnt broke down yet. knock on wood.

Say what you will about the others but there is no way in hell blizzard is a cheap plow. Have you ever actually seen one?:pointhead

Attachments

• blizzard 1-22-05 034.jpg
    blizzard 1-22-05 034.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,787
  • blizzard 1-22-05 035.jpg
    blizzard 1-22-05 035.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,793
  • blizzard 1-22-05 055resize.jpg
    blizzard 1-22-05 055resize.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,787

METCO

Occupation
self employed
I have two Western MVP's and they are great plows would not own anything else ,easy mounting , very well built and you can not beat using it has a v or scoop.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I have to defend my Curtis plow here. I live where it snows about every day from Oct. through April (have had about 18" so far since Thanksgiving) and all I do is plow and plow some more. I plow my place and it's about an acre and a half minimum every time, 9 miles on the odometer, times two counting reverse, 18 miles every time I plow the stinking lot. Got it down pat.

This Curtis has given me 100% trouble free operation since I bought the truck in 2003, with the exception of the solenoid frying last pass last winter. It's been so dependable I emphasize it waited till the LAST PASS before it wouldn't pick up anymore...

I am pretty impatient when it comes to hooking up in a blizzard, and this is by far the easiest plow I've ever dealt with. Pull into it, plug in, adjust height if necessary, throw the two cam levers into lock position, done. Most times I time it at 20 seconds to hook up, 10 seconds to drop just for fun.

Had a SnowWay Preditor series last with the down pressure, but the steel moldboard insert instead of the clear lexan one. Downpressure's a beautiful thing, but pressure of any kind on those flimsy SnowWay plows results in some broken up equipment. They aren't built for much more than perfectly level, paved driveways in my eyes. I had that thing beat to a pulp in 2 seasons plowing the same exact area I still do with this Curtis.

My Curtis dealer is 25 minutes away, and has been a good source of help to me as well, can't complain, only compliment them for their service.

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
Have a western now and love the weight of it. I was thinking of a sno way but looked cheap to me. but can't stop thinking how downpressure would be nice . any other plows have downpressure?
Have a friend that just got the western with the flipper and has had in the shop more than he plowed
Can u mount scoups on a straight blade plow?

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
Any luck with a tracked skid steer for plowing, can they be studded?
think a blade on a skid steer works the best in parking lots never need to backing up just push and spin. but hate seeing the cat sitting in the shop, because it slides all over the place on the slopes and hills

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
We have 4 snow ways, 2 8' straights on S-10s and 2 of the predator V's, They have held up as well as can be expected for something that gets beaten on for 5 months out of the year. If they had been out when I got my first 3/4 ton I probably would have looked at one of the blizzards, those look like a nice plow. I'm sorry lowboy, but one of those 8 footers is 15 years old and still runs. Art, sno-way is the brand with the lexan in the moldboard. We had good luck with them and the down pressure that's on them is absolutely fantastic.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
We have 4 snow ways, 2 8' straights on S-10s and 2 of the predator V's, They have held up as well as can be expected for something that gets beaten on for 5 months out of the year. If they had been out when I got my first 3/4 ton I probably would have looked at one of the blizzards, those look like a nice plow. I'm sorry lowboy, but one of those 8 footers is 15 years old and still runs. Art, sno-way is the brand with the lexan in the moldboard. We had good luck with them and the down pressure that's on them is absolutely fantastic.

I can't completely condemn my Snow Way preditor, the downpressure was a great feature. Pull up to the garage door, down with the blade, and scrape clean. Usually could lift the front end off the ground...not literally, but you felt it lift.
I didn't use a clear moldboard because a guy near me had 3 of them break in half one season when we had no frost. He was rolling up sod like a bulldozer alot, and the plastic inserts were snapping in 2 with all the pressure against it. For an extra 50 bucks I used the steel ones. Never had a problem.

My Snow Way was really showing it's age after 3 seasons doing my place, compared to my Curtis. Only reason I got the Preditor was because the dealer used to be 10 minutes from here, but he's gone now. Again, love the downpressure, but you put a Snow Way right next to a Fisher, Western, Curtis, Blizzard, etc., and the structural part of the framework on a Snow Way looks like it's made of bed rail compared to the rest. Also had that lousy, no good twist-lock aluminum power plug that never seemed to set right, and the older style pin on mount was a PITA.

Colorado Digger

chain that rubber tired hoe up and throw a 10-12' bullplow on it and call it good. as to a rubber tracked skid- good luck:Banghead i think they are awesome for winter work where it isn't frozen- mud and side hillin. i do know they make a studded track but i also heard they wear quik. plus a 2 spd. skid is the way to go. p.s. u could prbabaly try chaining the fronts on the tlb to start-- if it's flat